Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 6ft3+ downhillers help me out please
  • billysugger
    Free Member

First trip to the alps last August/Sep has persuaded me to buy a dh bike. Coming from a supermoto/enduro/sports bike background I’ve decided that due to fragile motocross engines/gearboxes,diminishing access,the number of Magoos on the road etc downhill will have to suit the need for my attention demanding hobby.

So…

Most dh bikes are made for mini people. I know Peaty and Minnaar are over 6 ft but they have custom frames dont they so I cant look at Santa Cruz on that basis alone.

Who is over 6ft on here and feels comfortable on their production dh bike?

I just wanted a rough guide. I realise all 6ft people dont have the same length arms.

Any recommendations welcome.

ton

xl santa cruz bullit will fit you if you can source one.

chilled76
    Free Member

ton… a Bullit is far from a DH bike.

OP… try looking at Foes, Giant, Intense all of which have some large/extra large frames they’ve made over the years that are mahoosive.

MSP

6’2″ here, I have a l canyon torque whipzone, and if anything it is a little long. Remember DH bikes tend to be about the length of the cockpit rather than the seatube measurement.

https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/series/torque-dhx.html

ton

ton… a Bullit is far more DH bike than most on here will ever need

😀

Northwind

Isn’t Dirt Magazine written specifically for extra tall riders these days? It’s all Steve Jones talks about. Well, it’s all he talks about comprehensibly.

Euro
    Free Member

For DH it’s unlikely you’ll be doing much sit down pedaling so a great fit isn’t that important. A large would do just fine as long as the reach is good. I’m 6’5″ and rode a large for a few years with no issues.

sharkattack

Pretty sure all the Syndicate riders are on bog standard XL V10’s. I think that’s what Ben Cathro rides as well and he’s a big fella.

Specialized’s come up bigger than most. Try a Large Demo 8 as they’re longer than average.

I’m 6’2″ and riding a large YT Tues which I think has been influenced by the Demo. Pretty long and very low.

EDIT:

For DH it’s unlikely you’ll be doing much sit down pedaling so a great fit isn’t that important

It’s got little to do with pedalling. Riding the wrong size bike is exhausting on your upper body. Depends what your idea of DH is thought I suppose.

simonside
    Free Member

Ben Cathro is selling his XL V10 here:
    bike for a giraffe

Doug
    Free Member

I’m 6ft4 and can recommend going for very wide ~850mm on the bars which keeps them in proportion to average riders on 777’s etc. Also helps to give a little more cockpit room just mind the trees.

billysugger
    Free Member

Are Syndicate riders on standard frames!?

I’ve heard that Glorys feel pretty good for the monkey-armed of us.

YT industries…not heard that much of them. Need to look into that.

I’m on a 2012 Five with 50mm stem and ridiculous bars for uk stuff,think they’re 820mm. Never cut them down. Feels perfect.

My budget’s not vast so been looking at used Scalps and alike. Would love a v10 but not sure I can justify the pricetag to use ratio

billysugger
    Free Member

Wonder if I could get some sick skills thrown in for 3k…

As much as I’d love that bike (although for 3k i’d prob just spend a bit more for full carbon frame and better resale value) think I’m looking closer to the 2k mark

mulv1976
    Free Member

My mate rode an XL SJ evo 29er at Les arcs and rode down everything from DH tracks to steep switchbacks with no bother at all. He even kept up with the guide all the way. I couldn’t keep up – but then I was on an obsolete wheel size 😉

Something like an enduro or SJ evo might be good if you can’t find a good DH bike?

Edit: He’s about 6ft 5

sharkattack

It’s been up for sale for a very long time. Price used to be much higher.

You should do alright for 2K. There’s loads of V10’s around. I tried for ages to get a Large Demo and nothing came up.

I had a Large session and it came up a bit short. Nice bike though, I’d consider another one since they do an XL now. Bigger bikes are always harder to find on the used market though.

billysugger
    Free Member

I was looking at Fraser Mcglones(?) 322 for a while but it sold.

Its back up for sale again now with the owner saying its too small for them.

Not that I’m anywhere near fly enough to ride a neon pink bike

Fat-boy-fat

6’4″ here. Hired a devinci downhiller a year or two ago out in Whistler and it was top bombing. Also rode a Giant Glory in XL and it was the right size if not as good.

Euro
    Free Member

Riding the wrong size bike is exhausting on your upper body

Can’t say i ever noticed, but it depends what your idea of exhausting is though I suppose. 😉

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’m 6’5″ and have just replaced my Large Santa Cruz Bullit (which wasn’t a DH bike and was a little small for me -but is for sale!) with a Large 2010 Giant Glory which seems to fit well (I’ll be able to report back on Friday evening after my first uplift with it). I looked at several options, but decided to go with the Glory because although it’s only a Large it’s still pretty long. If I could justify the money I’d go for either an XL Santa Cruz V10 (still quite expensive second hand) or XL Trek Session (I’ve not seen any second hand).

rockitman

OK… here’s some info from a man who might (not according to his wife) have spent a great deal on DH frames in the past 3 years.

I’m 6ft 6″ & I’ve had:

A large Banshee Scythe – too small by miles
    Ben Cathro’s XL Orange 224 – great fit, poor suspension, snapped at the head tube after 5 months
    XL Morewood Makulu – Best suspension of any bike I’ve ever ridden. Looked nearly as big as the Orange, felt as small as the Banshee.
    XL Devinci Wilson – Current bike, it’s great.

The key things to look at:

1. Reach is the key measurement. On the bikes that were too small it was the cockpit that was too cramped. This resulted in a lot of OTB’s. Wilson has the biggest reach of any production DH frame.

2. It’s not just about the measurements though, I think it’s also about the way that the frames sink into their travel. The Wilson seems to get bigger when it goes into the travel, the Makulu seemed to get smaller. This may be absolute bollocks. Brant??? But I’d try & get a test ride on some steep stuff.

Of all the bikes mentioned I’d say the XL V10 is the safest bet if you can afford it. Despite much hearsay, I have it on good authority that none of the Santa Cruz team ride custom frames. They were all on XL’s last season (Bryceland was on a large the season before). None of the team are anywhere near as tall as me – 6’2″ / 6’3″ for Peaty & Minnaar. Tracks are getting faster & less technical so they want a bigger bike because it’s more stable at speed.

And here endeth the lesson 🙂

If anyone would like the spreadsheet I compiled before I bought the Wilson which has the measurements for a lot of the frames mentioned above, drop me a DM & I’ll see if I can dig it out.

rockitman

Oh, one more thing… anyone looking for an XL Trek Session, I believe Jack Reading is selling his race bike from last season, think it’s on PinkBike.

Cheers

honourablegeorge

rockitman – Member

XL Morewood Makulu – Best suspension of any bike I’ve ever ridden. Looked nearly as big as the Orange,

Sure it was an XL? They only came in two sizes originally, then moved to 3 sizes in ’11 or ’12. I’m 6’1″ on a medium, and it sized up quite nicely.

billysugger
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

I’ve been keeping an eye on the classifieds of a few sites for months thinking something suitable might come up but things have been quieter than I expected.

As an aside does anyone know of any demos coming up withing reasonable distance of Halifax?

rockitman

You are in fact correct Honourable George, it was a Large Makulu. Spec sheet said pretty large, bought it off someone 6′ 3″, stood it next to the 225 and it was nearly the same length, just didn’t feel that way when I rode it.

kudos100
    Free Member

I’m 6ft4 and can recommend going for very wide ~850mm on the bars which keeps them in proportion to average riders on 777’s etc. Also helps to give a little more cockpit room just mind the trees.

How long are your arms? I’m coming to the conclusion that wider is better having monkey arms (6’8 wingspan) At the moment i’m riding 780mm on my full suspension bike, but may go a bit bigger in future.

Any other tall guys with long arms, riding 800mm+ bars?

rockitman

No, I’m still at 780, but tempted to go wider for tracks without forest bits, Glencoe etc

honourablegeorge

rockitman – Member
    You are in fact correct Honourable George, it was a Large Makulu. Spec sheet said pretty large, bought it off someone 6′ 3″, stood it next to the 225 and it was nearly the same length, just didn’t feel that way when I rode it.

They basically had a small medium and a large medium – the current medium is equivalent to the old large, with the large being a size up.

TBH, I could have gone large, but ended up with a medium at 40% off, so I cope. 🙂

kimbers

Northwind – Member
    Isn’t Dirt Magazine written specifically for extra tall riders these days? It’s all Steve Jones talks about. Well, it’s all he talks about comprehensibly.

+1

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘6ft3+ downhillers help me out please’ is closed to new replies.