Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • 6ft – do you ride a medium or large?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

I can never really decide what suits me best; sometimes the medium feels good, other times I have tried larges that were much more spot on.

How about xc? What size frame do you (generally) plump for?

paddy0091
    Free Member

i’m 6″2 so a touch taller always ride large (xc and road). Medium top tubes and foot overlap is no fun!

amsterdan
    Free Member

5foot 11 ride a large remedy with short stem

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’am 6’2″ so I decide between a Large or XL!
    Thanx Max

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I’m 6’1″ and generally prefer mediums as they’re more chuckable, but it depends on what bike it is…

ben
    Free Member

6′ and ride a medium Yeti. It really depends on the bike though.

nacho
    Free Member

6′ (well 5’11 and a bit) Ride a medium Whyte HT and a large SC Heckler. Tried the med Heckler and it felt too small, shortened the stem on the large and bingo! I think it depends on manufacturer, type of riding, stem and probably a few other things I haven’t thought of….

nedrapier

5′ 11 and 3/4″ here.

Medium Dialled PA, 17.5″ Dekerf Generation, Small Singular Peregrine.

Took the measurements of the Peregrine’s sizes to the bike shoppe I was ordering from, they got me on the adjusty-jig, reckoned med & small would both work, but that small would be better with an appropriate stem.

Think I remember Sam saying on here he might shift the sizes down a peg against the frames maybe they’re skewiff.

So for me, medium. Think I’m fairly normally proportioned. 84/85cm inside leg, from memory?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Depends if you have long legs or long torso or short legs or short torso. I am 6 foot exactly, ride a medium santa cruz blur, a 54cm scott addict, a 56cm orbea tt bike and a medium trek top fuel.I have a 32 inch leg and run 100 mm stems.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

Why are you asking on here?, you need to try each size for yourself to make the correct decision.

FWIW at 6’tall, a medium frame will very likely be too small for XC unless you have odd proportions.

Taff
    Free Member

Large, bought a medium last time and it was a bit too cramped

sobriety
    Free Member

6ft, 33″ leg, medium/17″ inch here.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends on the bike, I can get away with a medium Pitch but I’d ride a 56/large road bike. I’ve a medium Swift but looking for a s/h large to lengthen the wheelbase a bit. I’ve demo’d a medium anthem and it felt good with a 110mm stem, but prefered a large Reign-x with a shorter stem, but then didn’t like the large enduro/pitch even with the short stem.

fathomer

Very nearly 6′ and ride a medium Cotic Soul.

iBaa
    Free Member

6’1 and ride a mediumYeti ASR5 & Cove Stiffee.

ahwiles
    Free Member

6’1″ – large, or larger, with a short stem.

(mostly xc type stuff)

ormondroyd
    Free Member

6’7″ – custom 😀

robsoctane
    Free Member

I’m 5, 11 and I’ve found that the only thing that matters is top tube length (for sizing). I go for a Medium but saying that (on mine a 23.5 inch top tube)but my hard tail (P5) my top tube is only 20.5 inches – honest. Very short bike and class for chucking.

Probably no help, sorry…

nicko74

6′ in shoes, and I ride a medium Soda. I like classic Kona hardtail geometry, where you can whack the saddle down and essentially be riding a BMX on the downs – and the medium Soda fits the bill perfectly.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m about 5ft 10, maybe slightly under with a 30inch leg and have a 17.5 inch genesis core 40, which is spot on for me. I would imagine anyone around 6ft would need to go up to the 19.

emac65
    Free Member

6’1″ – Have tried mediums on several bikes brands but they just don’t feel right no matter what I do to them,notice it mainly on climbs,descending’s fine though.Where as large always hits the spot for the ups & the downs….

proberts
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and ride a Large Ibis, it feels perfect for me…had a M Zesty and had to sell after 6 weeks as it was doing my back in!!

labsey
    Free Member

5’11”. I ride a large frame.

matt_outandabout

6′ and seem to end up on 18″/Med all the time. Some days I yearn for a bigger frame (big, long, climby days); but more often than not I am comfy and benefit from the nippyness/smallness.
    [/url] Callender Estates ride by matt_outandabout, on Flickr[/img]

tomhoward

6’1″ ride a 14″ jump bike with a 35 mm stem a 16″ (medium) AM bike with a 50mm stem and a 58cm road bike with a 100 mm stem (when it arrives)

I generally go for mediums over larges, like to have bikes a bit more chuckable.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

6′, shortish legs, longer torso, short arms, riding a medium Pitch currently with stock 60mm stem and 720mm bars. Generally ride for less than 4hrs though – if I was doing longer rides I’d want to be a bit more stretched out.

tomaso
    Free Member

As above I’m 6′ 2″ with 32″ legs and longish arms and torso but ride a large Pitch with a 50mm stem. Got a Stumpjumper too and thats large as well.

I used to ride dinky frames but chuckable as they are my back doesn’t like it and you can’t chuck jack about with a bad back…

transapp
    Free Member

6′ bang n, 34″ legs. Giant Anthem and before that Trek 6700. I ride a large with a short stem as I’ve got a short back. Luckily that makes me bang on trend.

Superficial
    Free Member

6′ and ride a medium Yeti. It really depends on the bike though.

I’m the same. It’s all about top tube length though and since Yetis are renowned for being longer than other brands, a Medium is OK for me. I suspect another brand’s medium would be too small.

My medium ASR5 is nice to throw around which is why I bought it, but the large would probably be faster (both up and down).

mrmo
    Free Member

6′ 34″legs, ride a large Bontrager, Large Top Fuel and 57cm Lemond,

Arm length is also a consideration.

shindiggy
    Free Member

6’2″ and ride a medium on one 456 (steel and Carbon)

stevomcd
    Free Member

5’11” and currently riding a medium Cotic BFe and a small (!) Orange Alpine 160.

The Orange is spot-on BTW, previous medium always felt a bit long in tight terrain.

sambob
    Free Member

6′ 1″ and Large Specialized FSR XC with 70mm stem and Thomson inline seatpost, feels a little bit short sat down currently so I’m going to move the saddle back a bit, but standing it’s brilliant, very sure-footed.

hunta

6′, Giant Trance L.

faz083
    Free Member

6ft and ride large. Find my Zesty so short along the top tube compared to, say, my hardtail (large again) or road bike (56), that I honestly can’t imagine riding a medium.

GW
    Free Member

5’11” and ride small frames with a 40-50mm stems.
    I can’t ride big/long bikes.

dekadanse
    Free Member

6′ and 33″ inside leg – mainly large frames, though in the case of older Santa Cruz, Scott or Ibis this might be XL, because all of these companies until quite recently made frames that were ‘small’ (as in ‘short’) for their stated size. They’ve all improved in the last 3 years or so, though.

However, I ride a medium 2011 Epic, because the top tube on these is so long, and I feel too stretched on a large.

I also prefer stems of 60-80mm.

retro83
    Free Member

6 foot exactly and riding a large Trance X. Stretching out properly on in was a bit of a revelation having ridden a range of frame sizes from 14 inch to 17 inch over the previous few years 😆

coolhandluke
    Free Member

6ft 1″, Long legs, short body.

Large 456 (20″)
    Large enduro (?)
    Meduim Karate Monkey 29er (18″)

456 feels a bit long but has plenty of leg room
    Enduro feels compact and chuck able but not enough leg room to pedal
    KM feels perfect

scaled
    Free Member

6’2 here with 33″ inside leg.

Went from a Scott scale xl to a genius xl (2008) and the genius was a decent fit when I was on it but stand over was a pain.

On a large mega now and it feels great. Had a go on a large chameleon and that felt great too but looked tiny! Tempted to buy it if it comes up for sale 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘6ft – do you ride a medium or large?’ is closed to new replies.