• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by JCL.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 650B or 29er this helped me discuide so I thought I'd share!
  • yzwilson
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

good reasoned bit, especially go try some 🙂

mbl1
    Free Member

Great hat!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Not exactly earth shattering, but a nice smary none the less.

Kryton57

Well its factually correct with apparantly no marketing BS.

Hooray.

mattjg
    Free Member

I still don’t get the contact patch thing – for comparable wheels in terms of tyre, pressure, rim width, (& shape of course) how come 29 has a “bigger contact patch”? I don’t think size of the contact point between a circle and a plane is a function of the circle diameter.

Happy to be corrected on this!

frood
    Free Member

@Matt… it’s because when you sit on a tyre it deforms and is no longer a circle…

mattjg
    Free Member

That figures, thx.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone’s got one and they all stink.

Although what he says makes sense, I still prefer making my own mind up :mrgreen:

scaredypants

how come 29 has a “bigger contact patch”?

‘s bollocks innit ?
    Longer contact patch but narrower and same overall area if the pressure’s the same, no ?

mattongley
    Free Member

No!

Bigger wheel bigger contact patch assuming the width of the tyre remains constant.

roverpig

It might help to remember what psi stands for.

There may be second order effects, but if you are supporting 30lb on a tyre at 30 psi the contact patch is one square inch. Diameter doesn’t come into it.

Gotama
    Free Member

Hijack – Roverpig – you don’t have an email. If you’re still dithering about selling your FF29 could you drop me an email pls. It’s in my profile. Ta

qwerty
    Free Member

Nice brief summary.

I thought it was deep mud that increased the contact patch.

ampthill

Oh its lovely he really looked liked he thouh it was a big deal

He even manage to say 26 at one point. Although of course they are out of the debate

He didn’t flinch when he said “650b spokes are allot shorter and stronger”.

ampthill

Rover Pig I hate to sugest that say something that properly enters the debate but I think the theory is that 700c rim will give a longer thinner contact patch

But we won’t pause to wonder how people ever got round a corner on the ludicrously short contact patch of 26 inch wheel. Let alone became a world champion on one (what with the much lower top end speed)

JCL
    Free Member

He gets the most important advantage of 29″ which is rolling resistance. It knocks the acceleration of smaller wheels argument into a cocked hat.

That said he missed one rather important point… Geometry!

Which is why some 29″ feel a lot more like 650b than others and vice versa.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘650B or 29er this helped me discuide so I thought I'd share!’ is closed to new replies.