Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 650b fun hardtail
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Long time since I’ve posted on here so I may be a bit out of the loop with any new “standards” etc!

Currently I have a YT Wicked 650b which I’m still using 26″ and Lyriks on. I’m definitely over biked. The Wicked is a great do it all bike but for what I’m riding (Woburn dh & xc trails, maybe a trail centre if I’m lucky but most likely pulling my son round in a bike trailer soon) it’s just boring and I dont get that same fun or inspiration to ride like I did on my old Voltage or Blender hardtail.

So my plan is to sell the frame, fork and wheels and replace with something steel, 650b and shorter travel – more general purpose but still strong and capable enough to take a few hits when I’m feeling brave. Firstly how much am I likely to get for my parts and/or would I be better off selling the whole lot and starting again? Or maybe just sell the frame and fork but run my 26″ wheels with fat tyres til I can afford to upgrade those?

What kinda thing should I be looking at? I want good value, fun slackish geometry that’s not too barge-esque, short chainstays, good pedaller. A 2nd hand BFe 650b seems the obvious choice to build stuff around. Or a 45650b, but on-one always seemed a bit long and boring to me.

dannyh
    Free Member

Does it have to be steel?

The reason I ask is that I had (and cracked) a 45650b that I quite liked, but I swapped the frame for a Dartmoor Primal 27.5 and the difference is noticeable. The 45650b is a hefty beast and I found it very difficult to get any ‘steel feel’ from it. Prior to the 45650b I had a 456 evo 2 which did have some springiness.

The Primal is lighter (much) than the 45650b and if the ‘steel feel’ is absent, why cart the extra weight around?

The Primal is boxy and stiff, though, but I’ve always ridden hardtails and I’m just used to it.

backmarker
    Free Member

I know I’m being cheeky but I have a medium Cotic bfe in the for sale forum. Absolutely mint bike I’m upgrading to a full sus.

_tom_
    Free Member

Doesn’t have to be steel but my experience with aluminium hasn’t been great. Had a SC Chameleon which didn’t last long as it was so bloody stiff. If there’s a softer feeling alu frame I’d consider it !

The NS Surge Evo has my attention, I was going to get one of the old ones years ago. Seems to tick a lot of boxes for me. Not sure which size to look at getting though – I’m 5’8″ but in the past I’ve gone with small 16″ frames and felt a bit cramped on the top tube.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

Stanton Slackline fits your description. Also have a look at Production Privee.

tor5
    Free Member

Orange P7 – it’s what I’m considering at the moment!

sirromj

Recently built up a Bird Zero TR. Light frame. 130mmm max travel. I’m 5’9″ and medium fits fine. Pedals well. Not steel but definitely fun.

mudmonster
    Free Member

A mate is selling a medium bird zero am frame in orange. He’s had it since January.

mboy
    Free Member

Confirmed 29er fan here, IMO there really is no downside to the larger wheels especially on a HT unless you’re really short…

That said… If I HAD to buy a steel 650b HT right now, it would definitely be a Stif Morf.

superstu
    Free Member

Had a 45650b. Was ok, bit of a bulldozer but reach was very short, so felt a bit ‘sit up’when riding. Decent enough though. Surprised if you find it long?

Swapped for a pinnacle iroko which despite being aluminium is as compliant.

Just noticed on one are chucking out their newer steel dee dar frames out very cheap – £144.

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROODD27/on-one-deedar-275-steel-hardtail-frame

control67
    Free Member

I just built up a Dee Dar on Friday, it was the replacement for my old 45650 frame what I done bent.

I’m using the components from the 45650 so 50mm stem, 750mm bars and 150mm forks. Since I bent the old bike in the summer it’s not quite a back to back comparison but the Dee Dar in 17.5” is 3mm shorter ETT than the 18” 45650 and 0.2 degrees slacker so pretty similar feeling. It definitely feels like a nicely put together frame too.

dannyh
    Free Member

One thing threads like this highlight is how much it depends on what you’re ‘coming from’.

Being a Luddite, I only went tubeless two or three months ago after over ten years riding hardtails with tubes, but increasing higher pressures as I’ve ridden a bit harder over time. Going tubeless to me has been the single biggest revelation in terms of comfort.

_tom_
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Most out of my price range though I think – guessing I’d get about £300 for my frame.

I’m still yet to go tubeless as my rims aren’t compatible! I only just got a dropper post very recently.

I might check out a Dartmoor Hornet – it was on my radar when I was looking at ht’s a while back and the price is so good. Plus looks awesome in that petrol metallic.

chestrockwell

I have a 650b Orange p7 and it’s a great load of fun! Recommended.

vincienup
    Free Member

Since your kit apart from frame is all 26er anyway… BFe 26?

dekadanse
    Free Member

Mondraker Vantage – even better with + size rims and tyres.
    Or Whyte 901/905.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Sonder Transmitter, Bird Zero, Commencal Meta HT am 2018, NS Bikes Eccentric etc…

With the right tyres and fork, the choice of material becomes pretty irrelevant. If anything, a stiffer platform helps handling/steering IMO, while being cheaper/lighter.

dai3015
    Free Member

I’ll definitely second the Mondraker Vantage – excellent bike! (also happen to be selling a 2016 Vantage with 160mm Yari!)

twonks

How about the slightly different Dartmoor Primal plus with 2.8″ tyres?

I’ve always had a psssion for nice hard tails but after riding most of the well recieved frames built around similar components, I just find them annoyingly bumpy when I get tired.

More a reflection on me tbh but, since building up the plus bike I get none of the fatigue and all of the fun, plus so much grip it’s unreal.

The frames are so cheap and you can run something like a Xfusion sweep with 2.8 Nobby Nics so not too bad a build cost if done right.

_tom_
    Free Member

That might be better for me I guess – in the past I’ve always hd a habit of getting the small fun hardtail then wishing I had a longer tt for pedalling and stablity so perhaps it’s time I got the slightly more grown up option!

So long as I can still pop off roots, do jumps without feeling like im going to die, pump and manual through little rollers etc then I’m happy.

Marin
    Free Member

P7 all round mental fun hardtail.

5lab

I’ve got a 2017 hornet running 26″ wheels etc – it works, but it is ‘quite’ low to the ground, so a few pedal smashes are inevitable. It does however

a) look great
    b) cost as much as a 2nd hand bike from elsewhere
    c) give me a grin when I ride it

wl
    Free Member

P7. Had mine over a year and it’s been super fun, faultlessly reliable and very versatile too. Mint bike if you can find one new or second-hand for the right money.

beefheart
    Free Member

Ragley Marley.

_tom_
    Free Member

Hmm lots of good suggestions! The price of the Dartmoor stuff is luring me as I can spend whatever else on top I get for my frame towards new wheels and fork. The Bird looks very nice as well though !

nickfrog
    Free Member

I am getting one of those for Xmas. I like the rarity, full cable routing, Boost, geo, etc…

Not sure if CRC will stock it and at what price. Hopefully £299 after discount.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not sure many people have read your OP properly.

I’d say you’re on the right track with the s/h Bfe or Surge. Stanton if you’re feeling flush.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Orange Crush Pro? Sunset are doing 2017 models at a good price – then add SAVE10 to the checkout which brings the Pro to £1349.

P7 Pro 2017 is £1367 if you want a bit of Steel

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘650b fun hardtail’ is closed to new replies.