Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 650B+ and 650B++ Do they fit a Singular Puffin?
  • wwaswas

Looking to get some new wheels for my Puffin and Hugo’s look like they could be a good choice of rim as I don’t need monster fat tyres (and I can keep my existing on-one wheels if I do) and Hugo’s will take a 3-4 inch tyre.

there seems to be a fair bit more on the horizon as far as the chubby and fat 650B format is concerned so I thought I’d look at getting those wheels if they’ll fit the frame.

Also, I’ve got the on-one carbon forks and might fit a Bluto in the future – same question for those re: 650b+ etc?

wwaswas

Anyone?

letmetalktomark

Have a look at Stoners post re sizing.

Theoretically there is no reason that they shouldn’t.

I tried a Knard on a Dually (29er) in the back of mine and the only sticking point was the CS brace. 650b+ won’t be as tall as a 29er+ so should fit height(?) wise and there is plenty of clearance for a 26” fat tyre so should fit width way.

Why would you go this route though? Surly the BB would drop etc?

wwaswas

Well, I was thinking that a 3-4″ 650B+ or 650B++ tyre would be a similar diameter to a 4″ 26″ Floater on a wider rim and no taller than a 4.8″ Bud?

Any small BB drop I could adjust out using the EBB if it were a problem.

My main motivation is that I want to get a pair of lighter wheels and run slightly more ‘trail’ tyres during the less muddy month of the year and there seems to be a lot manufacturer focus on larger 650B tyre so it may offer more choice of treads etc in the future.

The Hugo’s look good for taking a 4″ tyre when needed but not overwhelming a slightly smaller one. Whether I get 26″ or 650B I’ll probably go for these.

Clobber
    Free Member

Email Sam, he has a 650b+ griffin on his facebook page right now…

wwaswas

have sent Sam a message on FB – will see what he says.

In the meantime the 26″ light bicycle carbon rims look quite good too.

Indecision.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I’d stay with a fat front, get a 65mm carbon rim, combined with a lighter proper fat tyre. I prefer a rounder profile for a fat tyre and a 65mm rim will do this for you, I think they handle better for trails, where max floatation isn’t needed. For the rear, a 650b+ sounds doable.

wwaswas

I suspect you’re right re: the front and given the light bicycle rims seem lighter than the stans hugo’s I might as well match front and back if I go down that route. Will see what Sam says and then make a decision.

stuartmccarthy
    Free Member

wwaswas

Sam says that 650b+ will definitely fit and have a very similar diameter to a 26″ wheel with a 4″ tyre.

Interesting.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘650B+ and 650B++ Do they fit a Singular Puffin?’ is closed to new replies.