Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 650b / 27.5" beefy rim and tyre options…?
  • jackal
    Free Member

After doing this today;

And earlier ripping a hole in the tread of my nobby nic (on my 3 ride old sight killer b 👿 )

I’m now after a replacement rim and tyre.

I need something that is capable of taking a fair bit of abuse. Rim wise I think I’ve found somewhere that I can get flow ex’s in 650b, tyre wise I’ve no idea.
    I’d of liked a high roller II (run these on the dh bike) but cant seem to locate any for sale as yet. How strong are the exo walls on the maxxis tyres?

Any reccomendations?

hexhamstu
    Free Member

why do you want a replacement rim? Just bend it back and ride it till it dies?

Tyrewise racing ralph? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=90402

jackal
    Free Member

why do you want a replacement rim? Just bend it back and ride it till it dies?

Tyrewise racing ralph?

Because I’m running tubeless and I’m pretty sure it won’t seal up, looks like its cracked too. I might try and bend it back (and true it up as its well out of shape) just to get me through for a bit.
    Those racing ralph’s wouldnt last me 2 minutes 😀
    I’m after something almost dual ply tough..??

bwaarp
    Free Member

Yeah and that’s going to be more weight that just sticking a tube in and having more support, unless you care for really low pressures.

Northwind

I could get that straight enough to take air, but I wouldn’t want to guarantee it’ll not be weak as china afterwards, or whether that’s a crack or just a wee stress line, and if it’s the latter whether it’ll not turn into a crack before it’s done. Either way I reckon you’re right to replace. What rim is that, out of curiosity?

Maxxis Exo is pretty tough. Schwalbe tend to beef up as you go up the range, but you’ll pick up drag at the same time with a Hans Dampf etc. No way to say it without sounding trollish, I’d stick with sensibly tough kit and just put enough air in the tyre.

ska-49
    Free Member

I’m currently riding the WTB i23 rim on my 650b. I’ve not had much time on them but they feel great and can’t say they feel any different from my flows. They seem to have a similer profile and weight to flows so I’d think they are like-for-like. Tubless ready too.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Just built up a set of Flow ex on Bor hubs for mine.

1850g pair.

I am running Nobby Nic 2.35 snakeskins and seem very good.

You could try Double defense Hans Dampfs.Big tyres,thick casings,very heavy

Northwind

Oh- Flows and Exes are strong, but they’re not hard. They dent relatively easily, compared to say an MTX or a 721. So if you want a wheel you can hammer in normal use, they’re good but if you want something that’ll shrug off hard hits to the rim, not so much.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Hand dampf from bike24.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘650b / 27.5" beefy rim and tyre options…?’ is closed to new replies.