Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • £6.50 for our local fireworks
  • paddy0091
    Free Member

…and they were rubbish!

No wonder the scouts leadsrs are driving Lamborghinis!

mental

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Organised fireworks are good for emptying the pub 🙂 We used to turn up get a beer at the bar then watch everyone troop out and pick the best seats in the house 🙂

dantsw13

Down here in East Sussex, our bonfire society fireworks will be MENTAL, and free 8) Sadly, our trails have been a boggy mess all year 😥

timidwheeler

Ours were £6 each and were awsum. Really enjoyed every second. 😀

iain1775
    Free Member

Well once again the ****ts 4 doors down treated us to a recreation of the first night of the gulf war, with our house Apparently doubling for Saddams royal palace
    Not pleasant when you have friends staying and 3 two year olds and a dog cowering for cover whilst the house literally shakes
    They must have set fire to several thousand pounds of industrial scale fireworks this evening, as they have done the last 3 years
    Next year I’ll sell tickets £5 each

poly
    Free Member

…and they were rubbish!

No wonder the scouts leadsrs are driving Lamborghinis!

mental
    I assume they are run by the scouts? However unless you are actually suggesting they are creaming off money for themselves I don’t see the link to Lamborghinis – other than perhaps these guys have some idea of how to run events that make money?

I obviously have no idea how good or bad your event was but our local one is excellent (run by the local rugby club). Lasts for over 20 minutes of professional scale continuous fireworks. The only better shows I have seen have been choreographed to music. It cost £10 for a family ticket. £4 for an individual.

Have you any idea what it costs to put on an event like that?

– insurance (probably gone up after the motorway accident last year)
    – training
    – PPE
    – first aid cover
    – safety barriers etc
    – ticket cost
    – advertising cost
    – people to clear up the litter / debris afterwards
    – stewarding etc.

Obviously some of that can be arranged by volunteers etc – but the public are much better at criticising than coming forward to offer to help.

And that is all before you light a single firework.

Now what does £6.50 buy you in fireworks? Sweet F.A.
    For the cost of a family of 4 you could maybe get 30 s worth of moderately impressive fireworks from the local Aldi.

paddy0091
    Free Member

^ good points, but they were still poor for the money, a sentiment echoed by many.

£10 for a family a ticket is far better than £6.50/person!

scaredypants

our local primary school does one – £5-10 entry, cheap campylobacter burgers etc and the display is bloody fantastic. At least 20-30 minutes of concentrated firepower, set to a theme with a soundtrack and proper industrial bombs in reinforced barrels that you get to set up yourself the morning before if you want to help out.

All that, and the distinct possibility of a tree-fire 😀

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Ian1775, I’m with you brother; it would appear half of North Leeds have a public display licence tonight.

I’ll admit I’m grumpy when it comes to fireworks but it properly takes the p*ss.

Now the kids are finally asleep we’ve just got the dick who thinks a display at 2am is a good idea to look forward to, hope they blow their hands off.

Our free display at the local pub was awesome as usual – and a huge bonfire to boot.

And what’s with people complaining about neighbours putting on a good display? Ok, its not November 5th, but ffs, should they have let them off on Monday night, or not at all? It’s guy fawkes night, get a grip!

Bear
    Free Member

Dan – yours aren’t the Rye fireworks by any chance?

zokes
    Free Member

And yet curiously for a family of four it would also reduce takings (and money for fireworks) by £16 for the organisers. Perhaps that’s why they preferred the £6.50/person option ❓

wrightyson
    Free Member

We paid 12 quid for a family of four at the local hockey club! It was ace and can’t believe we’ve never been before! As for moaning about your neighbours fireworks, get a grip, it’s bonfire weekend enjoy their exuberance!!

meehaja
    Free Member

5 am i set off to work, the barage is still going in west leeds. Yey.

DrP

Don’t wear a shell suit…..
    Free advice from DrP…..

spooky_b329

Not pleasant when you have friends staying and 3 two year olds and a dog cowering for cover whilst the house literally shakes

Take the opportunity to suggest to your friends that you will have to go to theirs next year?!

I’d rather have a few OTT displays rather than the idiots roaming the streets letting them off every 5 minutes from 6 to 12pm.

boxfish
    Free Member

My 3 year old went to bed with ear defenders on last night 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

My calendar must be borked. It says the 5th of November is only on Monday.

iain1775
    Free Member

I’d rather have a few OTT displays rather than the idiots roaming the streets letting them off every 5 minutes from 6 to 12pm.

That’s fine spooky, but we get both, plus the next door neighbours conservatory got pelted with them, shells littering both our gardens this morning, dread to think what would happen if one hit the shed window!
    And why should we have to move out of our own home one day a year (wasn’t possible btw) just so the stupid idiot down the road can have an illegal private display?
    We are not the only neighbours that feel this way, a few of us had words after last years war!
    Tbh with the size and proximity of some of them I’d rather be here in case of damage to my property
    Fireworks should not be on sale to the public, should he limited to organised displays only

Onzadog
    Free Member

Lass I used to work with would have to replace a couple of polycarbonate sheets over her carport every year as fireworks had burned holes in them.

rewski
    Free Member

I should imagine dan is talking about lewes, without doubt one of he biggest in he uk, my local in sanderstead in surrey was a fiver and very impressive, the bonfire was huge.

Some bright spark at leith hill had placed lots of tea lights in jars along the path, most were now broken, amazingly avoided punctures.

poly
    Free Member

^ good points, but they were still poor for the money, a sentiment echoed by many.

Simples then, next year you will be able to run a better event for less money, make yourself a load of cash and get yourself that Lamborghini you obviously covet. Or I suppose you could do what other people do when they are not impressed with a service / product, and look elsewhere for another provider – perhaps to another town near by…

Onzadog – Member
    Lass I used to work with would have to replace a couple of polycarbonate sheets over her carport every year as fireworks had burned holes in them.

I think you mean – a lass you used to work with wasn’t bright enough to realise that if polycarbonate melts and gets hit with fireworks every year, either use a different material, cover it (a wet sheet?) or put the old stuff from last year on top as a protective barrier…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Ours that we bought were shat (just thought i’d share). 😥

The neighbours were brill tho’. 😉

Lifer
    Free Member

And what’s with people complaining about neighbours putting on a good display?

Pretty subjective and most of the time can ‘setting off a load of fireworks’ really be called a display?

Boring boring fireworks. Flash bang oooooohh aaaaaahhhhhh. Easily entertained.

Harry_the_Spider

Went up to the free display at the local pub. It was OK, but it was free and it was at a pub. Double win.

On the way up a large rocket lumbered into the sky from a back garden and came down with a thump on the roof of the Merc 4×4 sat on their drive.

cookeaa

£14 for a family ticket last night but it wasn’t a bad show and I know if I had put on my own effort in the garden it would have cost us more and probably been pony TBH…

druidh
    Free Member

If it’s illegal, what did the Police say when you called them?

johndoh
    Free Member

Harrogate Stray fireworks – free – paid for by donations. Unfortunately one of our girls wasn’t well so ended up spending £17 on pathetic ones to let off at home as she watched from the window.

takisawa2

We went to Legoland last weekend. Their display was simply amazing. I’m not easily impressed by them but them, but these were just fantastic. They were handing out 3d glasses, which apparently really brought them to life. They were like exploding Lego bricks, if that makes any sense.

MoreCashThanDash

£10 for a family ticket last night.

Got twice the bang for our bucks as well – the cricket club is in an ampitheatre and has one side full of metal storage containers while they do some building works. The echo back of the containers was FANTASTIC!

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Why do we celebrate a terrorist attack?

fatboyslo
    Free Member

+1 for Harrogate Stray Fireworks 😀

Free to watch with a collection for a local charity.

Well worth the walk up the road and putting hand in pocket to donate.

Very Good display again this year

headfirst
    Free Member

Why do we celebrate a terrorist attack?

We celebrate a foiled terrorist attack. And burn an effigy of the chief terrorist.

khani
    Free Member

Don’t wear a shell suit

Bugger!!! That’s tonight’s ensemble out the door…

dantsw13

Bear – Robertsbridge. Are you down my way?

The bonfire societies in this part of the world are a huge tradition. All paid for by fundraisers throughout the year, and a bit of local sponsorship. Lewes is the biggest – about 50,000 people I think! Ours gets 5-6000 and is the last one every year.

carlos
    Free Member

£6 each last night at the local CC, yeah wasn’t Amazing but was pretty good tbf, food was a tad steep at £2.50 for a burger, jkt or hot dog but its a captive market etc..

Wouldn’t come close to anything like it at home if we were to diy for £17 so don’t mind the outlay

BoardinBob

public displays = okay

setting them off in your back garden = scumbag central

garage-dweller

Killjoys! £15 of small fireworks at home in our large garden at 7pm. No rockets or aerial stuff, just a few catherine wheels, roman candles, volcanoes etc. Nothing that even made my teething and staying up late 8month old blink. What on earth is wrong with that? There was more noise from the big public display 6miles away on Friday night.

Why at home? Because I want my 3 year old to be able to enjoy them and be in bed at a decent hour still and because I want him to see from an early age dangerous things being handled safely so he doesn’t get his arm blown off at age 10.

Restricting what can be sold domestically a bit wouldn’t hurt as would legislating for latest possible firings but just try enforcing it in practice.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Hexham Roundtable put ona massive display every year. Attracts 10000 people and costs only a voluntary donation. Brilliant!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘£6.50 for our local fireworks’ is closed to new replies.