Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 6 seat van insurance problems – advice please!
  • greenstix7
    Free Member

Hi,
    Been looking at a 6 seat factory fitted Vito.
    Having major problems getting a quote, disappointing for a 39year old with 1 insurance claim and nearly 20 years driving experience.
    Any suggestions on ways round it? Anyone got a similar vehicle?

Thanks

wwaswas

been refused or just the quotes are too high?

druidh
    Free Member

My insurance is through NFU Mutual and they had no problems handling the fact that my Trafic now has 6 seats in it.

I did find that none of the online quotation systems would provide me with a quote though.

geoffj

Adrian Flux

thomthumb
    Free Member

try brentacre.

they are great when it comes to privately insuring vans.

mattbee

A plan were best for my 6 seater T5.

sandwicheater

The van is not likely to be the problem if seats are factory fitted and all forward facing.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Biggest issue you will find is that they virtually all consider them “commercial vehicles” so you need a commercial policy.
    Hastings do the Traffic as an estate but ONLY if it is below 2l engine size 👿
    Use on e of the van sites – there’s a new one vancompareuk.com that is specifically for vans and they say they will be cheaper.

amplebrew

Are you tying to get it insured on a van or car policy?

I had my T5 Kombi insured on a car policy with Direct Line and it was around the same price as my wife’s Polo.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Gladiator. No problem on a 6 seater transit.

Only mistake I made was to get 1 named driver, through anyone could drive it 3rd party on their own car insurance but that’s for other cars only. Wish I’d paid extra to get any driver over 30 insurance…

greenstix7
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, yes i was trying to insure it as a van but not for use commercially as i want it for social/domestic/pleasure use. The crazy thing is that i will barely use it in the week as i cimmute to work on my road bike!
    The quotes are around 750plus, have tried budget/aviva and axa won’t quote.
    Will maybe try some of the suggestions above.
    I was not aware that you could have a van on a car policy.
    Any more ideas?
    Cheers

hammyuk
    Free Member

A lot depends on the van and insurer as a lor now realise that people with larger families use them or as some on here do as dog/bike movers so will do private vehicle policies.
    Problem is you have to look for them on comparison sites.
    Best tip I found was not to put the reg in and enter the vehicle details manually – that way you soon see if they cover your model.
    Thats how I found out about the Trafic being classed as an estate but ONLY the 1.9 🙄
    FYI – I’m 41, no claims and mine is the 2.5 tiptronic so had to go on a commercial at £380 FC

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I just used the van version of the comparison sites.

phil.w
    Free Member

I was not aware that you could have a van on a car policy.

There is no such thing as a ‘van policy’ or ‘car policy’. Insurance is for a vehicle and a use. i.e. any vehicle can be insured for, social & domestic, commuting, work use. Or any combination of the three.

Biggest issue you will find is that they virtually all consider them “commercial vehicles” so you need a commercial policy.

Is completely wrong. A ‘commercial’ policy is just the third option; work use. This applies for cars or vans. If you don’t use it for work you don’t have to have this.

I’ve privately owned vans for the last 8 years and never had so called ‘commercial’ insurance as I’ve never used them for work.

Oh and 750 sounds about right with one claim. Mines £400 on a Vivaro with 7 years no claims (insured for social/domestic & commuting).

faceplanter
    Free Member

+1 for Brentacre here!

Stainypants

my t5 caravelle 39 year old, 8 years no claims is £750 and it classed as a car.

Stainypants

double post

landcruiser
    Free Member

It’s a Vito Traveliner and should be relatively simple to insure as such… Mine says “passenger car type approval” in the paperwork. I assume that it has more in common with say, an S Max or something than an LCV. Maybe just try and explain that. ??

hammyuk
    Free Member

PhilH – You’ve been very lucky or very clever how you’ve arranged it.
    Go onto any if the comparison sites and try to get a quote for something that is not an outright car in their eyes.
    The “use” of the vehicle is irrelevant – the insurers simply won’t/don’t cover them so the only option is to use a van site/policy rather than the usual as everyone would do with a standard vehicle.
    Also there is “Van” and “Car” insurance – my Trafic documents clearly have Hastings VAN right across the top as did Evan for the Astravan and RAC before that.
    The Traveliner and Caravelle are classed differently as they are predominately sold as private vehicles.
    Try it with the Shuttle/Caravelle or Dualiner and see the difference.
    6 seats makes it the Dualiner but you should be able to get cover at a reasonable rate – try H&R Insurance directly or Hastings again directly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ok go to the van version of the comparison sites. It’s the same underwriting normally in the end of the day it’s all I insurance. Nit sure how people get so tied up in it. All my details were stored and just ‘re ran the 2 comparison sites.

I used to have full work no tools no sign written and nice racks for under 500.

maccruiskeen

I used to have full work no tools no sign written and nice racks for under 500.

Many have commented on your nice rack 🙂

ampthill

Phil.w

I’m sure what you say is true in principal. But in my experience insurance companies are very wary of vans. however you claim to be using them. I would imagine they get stung all the time by people insuring for 1 use but then using it for something else

cloudnine
    Free Member

Brentacre were using (not sure if they still are) markerstudy to underwrite their policies…
    Have a look at the online reviews of markerstudy (absolute shite)
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews123837.html#Reviews

br
    Free Member

Insure as a horsebox, our Ducato is a 1/3 of your premium 😉

oliverd1981
    Free Member

fit a tiny cooker and sink and insure it as a camper?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Commercial vehicle direct were the cheapest for my T5 kombi after trying lots of price comparison sites and most of the day on the phone. Still eyewateringly expensive compared to cars, for example had similar quotes for a 911!

greenstix7
    Free Member

Cheers all, some interesting comments, will keep searching. Basically we all know insurance is a scam and god knows what i’ve paid in the last 20 years, makes me feel ill!

My heart bleeds – 2011 Nissan Navara, 41 years old, 2 years NCB, one 50/50 accident 4 years ago, clean licence – commercial use.

£2000 in round figures

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘6 seat van insurance problems – advice please!’ is closed to new replies.