Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 6 Merlins just flew over my garden – what a sound!
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Just had a Lancaster and 2 Spitfires in formation fly quite low over my garden, twice!

Made a fantastic noise! 😀

allthegear
    Free Member

Just the one Lancaster?? 🙄

Rachel

tomhoward

Rachel, of those, which was the loudest? The 8 merlins or the voice of God?

(Back to the op) must’ve been good, I was at waddington a couple of years ago watching my dad go in a lanc for a fast taxy, afterwards they brought it back to the Tarmac and gave the engines the berries. That sound will stay with me, as I was 6 feet from the wing tips…

allthegear
    Free Member

Oh definitely the screech…

Rachel

jimw
    Free Member

Being on board Just Jane for a run up (no taxi) is an experience I’ll never forget. They didn’t run all four at full chat together, but +4 boost IIRC in pairs. Still a visceral, astonishing, remarkable experience. What all four at +9 for takeoff must have been like!n

Having said that, it wasn’t the most thought provoking part of the experience. That had to be sitting in the rear turret….

spursn17
    Free Member

Had an F86 Sabre fly low over my house twice today,lovely noise!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh definitely the screech…

While I love the sound of a Merlin (And let’s be honest, who doesn’t?) the howl of the Olympus still sends shivers down the spine. The reheated version in Concorde was a truly beautiful noise, but the standard variant in the Vulcan?

A sound like the gates of hell being opened.

Have mentioned this many a time before, but always worth doing so again – When living at Finningley, we obviously went to the Airshow. The Tin Triangles were always a highlight. Their party trick was a low, slow pass along the runway and then they would point skywards, open the taps and roar upwards like a homesick angel. The noise was visceral, going in to you, not just in to your ears. The sight was beautiful.

They had to stop it as they were ripping the end of the runway to pieces with all that power!

jamj1974

Bucking the trend here. Merlin by far. Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Had them over mine every day for the last 2 weeks!
    All the local females are swooning as Harry Stiles and Tom Hardy are in the area.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘6 Merlins just flew over my garden – what a sound!’ is closed to new replies.