Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 6 Hour Power – anyone tried these?
  • vdubber67
    Free Member

Just searching for prescription sports sunglasses, and came across these things:

http://0800sports.co.uk/product.php/65006/12/6_hour_power_12_pack

Anyone tried them?

I appreciate that malt loaf, homebrew energy drinks and the like are wonderful fuel, but I’m going to be doing a rather long stage race in a few weeks, and anything that gives me that little bit extra gets my interest.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Interesting that it actually lists the ingredients – these things are often hard to find. Similar to other “energy drinks” but with less caffine perhaps. Worth a try perhaps but I very much doubt the “5 hrs” and “no crash” claims – but I am always very sceptical of the claims for these sorts of things

vdubber67
    Free Member

Indeed. I was thinking about using them on top of my normal drink / gel plan. Might give them a go before the event and see what happens.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

How the training going for IB? Feeling confident?

Sorry, never used that stuff, just used normal gels/bars/powder when I did it. Plus as much as I could stuff into my stupid fat face at every feed station.

Make sure you’ve always got something to hand so you can eat as soon as your stomach even hints it might want feeding – don’t be tempted to wait until the top of the next climb…

doh
    Free Member

no carbs, loads of caffeine type stuff, b vits, amino acids and some enzymes. oh and they also appear to be chock full of bullsh!t.

i have no idea where the energy they give you comes from. i wouldnt like to try and last for 6hrs on it.
    can anyone provide an answer for me. the more spurious/misinformed the better.

just read the ingredients a bit better, 2000% and 8333% per cent of your daily recommended for 2 b vits. wtf

RealMan
    Free Member

http://www.edjunkie.com/reviews/6%20hour%20power%20berry.html

A lot of crap, but he does actually talk about the energy levels for about a sentence or two..

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

So the aim is to use the stupid high levels of B vits to release and burn the energy you’re storing as fat or as muscle glycogen. the caffeine and glucose are designed to boost your initial energy levels until your metabolism can catch up.
    the main problem is your body isnt able to absorb 8000% of the RDA, and if you’ve been drinking alot, you’re most likely to pee out most of it before it gets a chance to be absorbed.
    I think its probably healthier than red bull and the like, but may not be as effective as they are hoping.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Kitz_Chris – thanks for that – interesting to see the ‘scientific idea’ behind their product.

offthebrakes – training is good actually. 20 hours a week at the moment! 🙂

edjunkie
    Free Member

RealMan said

A lot of crap, but he does actually talk about the energy levels for about a sentence or two..

What more can you say. It’s mostly just caffeine and will really only give you alertness. There are other options better suited to bike riding though(I ride regular road + Single speed). Look at my reviews for Hydrive chews which give you carbs + calcium and more to go with the caffeine and fit in your pocket. The Hydrive drinks are also great for cyclist. I also like the Kronik protein energy drinks for plenty of protein, plenty of caffeine, and plenty of carbs. The thing with energy shots is that most don’t have any carbs to speak of. Stick with the drink preride or in your water bottle is you go with uncarbonated drinks. Hydrive and Guru drinks both work well in a water bottle.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Energy drinks.

I have tried most of them as I work night shifts and a boost to get me from 4-8am is often needed.

I find the best of the readily available ones is “V” However the cliff double shot espresso gels are outrageous. I have no idea how they are legal. absolutely disgusting taste tho

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘6 Hour Power – anyone tried these?’ is closed to new replies.