Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • 6 days to build a bike!!!!
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

joe@brookscycles – Member

Bigyinn: I’d never let a bike leave here in a box for a customer to build themselves. The potential warrenty/liability issues aren’t worth thinking about.

this is bobbins. If the customer builds it the shop has no responsibility / liability for anything that could be wrong because of the build.

Me – I ( at least partially) strip and rebuild a new bike to ensure it is done properly.

ojom
    Free Member

TJ – many suppliers have a clause that shops are not permitted to send out an un PDI’d bike.

Failure to adhere MAY result in loss of account/dealership of that brand.

To ensure all bikes are PDI’d in shop means there is a procedure to help minimise responsibilty/liability issues etc.

You are of course perfectly free to partially strip and rebuild as you see fit afterwards but bikes simply can’t leave shops in boxes un-tested.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TBC – thats different to what joe@brookscycles said. If the importer puts such a clause in the contract the shop has to honour it.

A shop would still have no liability for something the customer did.

PeteG55
    Free Member

B – wouldn’t happen to be a certain shop just off the high street would it?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Pete – yep – Just had a text (no call – just an SMS) from them saying its built but sods law I’ve got no easy way of picking it up until Monday 🙁

But at least I know when i can pick it up.

PeteG55
    Free Member

B – remember I’ve got the van mate. If you want to go get it, I don’t mind helping you get it back home.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Thanks but I’ve Got wheels, just got two young kids all weekend too 🙁 gonna see if I can get someone to look after them for 30mins while I go get it. Sod it I’ll take them with me and bribe them to be good in the shop.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Managed to sort it and the LBS went out their way to help me out – so I take back all my earlier cursing as I’m a satisfied customer – just can’t wait to ride it now 🙂

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

this is bobbins. If the customer builds it the shop has no responsibility / liability for anything that could be wrong because of the build.

That’s not my point. Quite a number of bikes come out of the box with ‘issues’. Stripped threads, scratches/scuffs to the frame, marginally incorrect spec etc. These can be warrentied quickly and easily by a shop worker. If a customer comes to me and says ‘I took it out of the box, and it had this massive dent in the top tube’, how do I know he hasn’t just dropped his hammer on it?

Who do I side with, the customer or the bike firm?

Not worth the hassle.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘6 days to build a bike!!!!’ is closed to new replies.