Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • 5th Element Shock top-out 'clunk' -options?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve recently bought a second hand Santa Cruz Bullit with a 5th Element shock. If I put pressure on the bike and then lift the back end there is a bit of a ‘clunk’ from the shock. I’ve searched google and it seems to be a fairly common issue which requires professional attention.

I’ve contacted the guy I bought the frame from, but won’t hold my breath (although I will ask for a partial refund due to faulty shock or for him to buy the shock back).

Should I:

1. Send it to TF for a service (£80 + no bike for several weeks as next service available is 13th June and I want the bike for a trip to Morzine on the 28th June),
    2. buy a new shock (Fox Van R) and sell the 5th Element (approx £180 for shock and -£30ish? for faulty 5th, I can have the new shock by the end of the week), or
    3. something else?

Thanks.

pallyally
    Free Member

If TF will service on the 13th you’ll have the shock back in a couple of days and well before the 28th.
    Got the 5th Element Air on my original SC Blur. Still works well. Progressive stopped making bike shocks years ago. When mine fails I will bin it even if parts are still available which can’t be for much longer.
    Best course of action is to replace with the Fox. If anything happens to the 5th when you are in Morzine you will be stuffed and a good holiday could be ruined.
    Are you sure that the clunk isn’t just the shock bush?

fivespot
    Free Member

If you do send it to TF, it may be worth getting him to remove the Platform/SPV valve, and fitting a custom shim stack to suit your weight. It will be far plusher and more reliable.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘5th Element Shock top-out 'clunk' -options?’ is closed to new replies.