• This topic has 18 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 5th Element coil rear shock
  • ddmonkey

Afternoon all, I'm going to scratch my itch that is wanting to own a proper DH bike again, and the bike I have in mind (second hand) has a 5th Element rear shock. I've never owned one before, and suspect that they are a bit dodgy but I'm not sure why. Anyone had / or currently use one? Any insight or tips? Should I replace it with a tuned Fox Van R and have done?

Thanks.

toys19
    Free Member

Nop not dodgy at all, made by one of the best suspension co's int he world, Progressive Suspension. I have two 5th elements on bullits, one is TF tuned one is standard. Both are flawless and feel bottomless, TF have an excellent guide to setting them up. No problems here.

ddmonkey

Cheers toys19 that sounds encouraging, as I say I'm not sure why I thought they might be a bit dodgy, I'm probably just imagining it.

sobriety
    Free Member

Only dodgy thing is that progressive no longer exist, so when they break it can be a bit hard to get spares.

ddmonkey

Yeah there is that, maybe I just associated Progressive / 5th disappearing with dodgy product. Ho hum I'm sure TF can sort me out if I have any issues.

toys19
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure tf do spares and repairs still.
    Ok if it breaks and cant be fixed because of lack of spares then yeah buy a new shock, but there is no reason why it shouldn't give good service, and defo not a reason to reject a candidate bicycle.

edit seems like progressive is still here, maybe they just don't do bike shocks any more.

click here

ChrisL

IIRC, it was the 5th Element air shocks that weren't too popular.

toys19
    Free Member

is any airshock popular?

jedi

fact. im trying to find a swap for my bottlerockets air shock 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

elka make nice looking shocks

glenh
    Free Member

I liked my 5th air. Platform works better than pro pedal on fox shocks IMO .

chickenman

Still using my 5th Element air: Works very well indeed!

IA

Manitou spares can be used in 5ths, so it's not *that* hard to get spares. Couple years since I had a 5th mind. Loved it.

LoCo
    Free Member

Have you considered one of these, I know I'm selling them but they are cheap, very adjustable and perform really well.

http://www.locotuning.co.uk/dsp-dueler.html

toys19
    Free Member

Loco, you should sponsor tony Jedi and give him a shock as he is the most bank-able personality on STW these days.

prettygreenparrot

Been using a 5th coil on my sub 5 for a few years after buying it used from TF. I get it serviced by TF about every year depending on use. It's great.

LoCo
    Free Member

I was toying with the idea only the other day as it happens Toys!

ddmonkey

Well sounds good then, woot new bike on Saturday, with big coils front and back, ace!!!!!

jedi

air shock feel like a wet rag comapred to a oil and ti coil

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘5th Element coil rear shock’ is closed to new replies.