Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 520 spds….
  • sharki
    Free Member

Stripping and replacing berarings…..

Worth it, easy, how…

Only because i CBA to google it.

So will rely on the wisdom that sometimes appears here…

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Do you have the bearings? If so, where did you get them and how much please?
    I have 5 pairs and 3 need sorting out. But I can get the pedals for £18 so am pondering just getting new.

sharki
    Free Member

I’ve not tried stripping them down yet, i’ve fitted my 959s(i think, that’s the model no) they’ve less wear..

If i can open the 520’s up and get a bearing number off, i’ll see about getting some new ones from a local bearing supplier, may work out cheaper to get complete new 520 from SJS (5 mins from me) as new cleats will make new pedals work out at around a tenner…new bearing and my time will cost more.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

I will have a look and see if I can find my old M520 instructions and see if there is any info in there.

cp

aswell as the bearings, you need the removal tool to not make a mess (goes round the plastic splined collar).

considering as mentioned, you can get new pedals and cleats for 18 quid, it’s not worth doing the job IMO… just buy a new set. then you’ll realise how knackered the mechanism and cleats on your old ones had got without you realising it!!

sharki
    Free Member

cp, just found out about the special tool needed(better than my brutal tool)

New bargain price seems best
    http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/actionsports/PD/EV-PD-M520-2235_v1_m56577569830608614.pdf

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Buying 2 new sets. Merlin have silver in stock.

MrOvershoot

Unless you have really trashed the bearings its a 10 minute job as long as you have the little plastic Shimano widget for pulling the axle bearing assembly out.
    Other than that all you will need is: solvent, rags, grease, 10 & 8mm spanners.

Pull the axle assembly out after you have unscrewed it with the widget, flush the bearings/collar unit out with solvent and the same with the pedal chamber.
    Now see if the bearings have play in them, if they do its just the same as cup/cone wheel bearings to take the slack up. Once your happy the bearings are free of play without binding. 1/2 fill the base of the pedal chamber with grease & screw in the axle assembly the grease will force its way through the bearings & the collar unit squidging any excess out through the collar. refit & ride. It’s taken me longer to type this out than it takes me to service them.

Obviously if the bearings are rusty/really bollock’d then throw away and buy some new ones, bearing (see what I did there) in mind new cleats cost around £10 so if your getting the pedal & cleats for £18 then the pedals are in effect only £8

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘520 spds….’ is closed to new replies.