Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 50mm thick concrete slabs in low numbers?
  • nedrapier

I need 15 (assuming 45cm x 45cm) for a base for a metal shed.

£325 for a pack of 20 at Wickes is a bit more than I had in mind, and I don’t want to drive to Sheffield or Hull for the ones that come up on ebay or gumtree.

Any ideas for a source in or near north London?

(I don’t fancy lifting them off the pavement either, before you ask!)

matt_outandabout

Pour a slab?

carlos
    Free Member

Reclamation or salvage yard should have some

You could try local driveway companies too, they might let you have them cheap instead of putting them in the skip

nedrapier

That’s the idea I started with, but then I’m into shuttering and mixer hire and a bit more of an undertaking. I’d rather just put down a sand or dry mix base and whack a few slabs on top.

nedrapier

cheer carlos, good ideas.

nedrapier

cheers carlos!

lowey

325 for 20 paving flags!!!! Seen coming mate. Go to travis perkins or Jewsons… You should be able to get them down to £4.50 per flag including the vat top side.

Sure you didnt get quoted on a decorative flag ? A plain concrete one is all you need.

gavlp
    Free Member

Another suggestion if the reclaim yard or driveway companies is asking some local Garden Landscapers – they may have some left overs from a job they want rid of – or even may be lifting some which can be re-used.

Alternative to Gumtree is Freegle aka Freecycle. Worth a look. Used to be a Yahoo Group but now much more stand alone.

Felofagen
    Free Member

+1 Lowey – Something seriously wrong if you have to fork out more that £100 (including delivery) – I used local builders merchants

gearfreak
    Free Member

Got about 5 or 6 in the back yard if you’re ever close to South Wales. FOC.

turboferret

+1 for freecycle – I wanted some (12 IIRC) for the base of a shed, put up a request, had a response within half an hour, they were in the boot of my car the same day. I did have to carry them up a decent length garden, but they were free and less than 5 miles drive away, so I didn’t complain to vociferously!

Cheers, Rich

phil.w
    Free Member

I’ve got 20+ you can have for free if you don’t mind collecting from Bath.

nedrapier

Just found out there’s a builders merchants literally around the corner who aelljust what I need in singles, for an OK price. Shed ordere, delivery in 5 weeks 🙁

Plenty of time to get the base sorted, though!

tonyplym
    Free Member

Could also cast your own paving slabs – reusable slab moulds can be had for about £10 each, then buy bags of premixed concrete from a DIY store.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘50mm thick concrete slabs in low numbers?’ is closed to new replies.