Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 50/15 gearing -ok for winterhack-bike ?
  • jeb

Hello

I have a 50″ crankset, on my geared bike and mostly i use the 15 on the rear, this works fine for most of my riding in town, so would like the same gearing on the winterbike, so should i go for a 15 sprocket, does this sound good?

Oh, and, i have both a singlespeed rearwheel, and a xt cassette wheel, what would you choose ? pro/cons ?

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanx

winterfold
    Free Member

I think that’s quite high. Typical track is mid-high 80s” so something like 48:16 or 49:15 – are you riding as fast as you would on the track? I doubt it.

Most people who ride singlespeed/fixed in the winter do it to keep their cadence up and get a nice smooth peddling action, be kind to your knees (particularly in the cold) and develop a nice fluid style so you can sneer at obvious MTB peddle-mashers when you are commuting.

charliedontsurf

Spinning is better than knee popping.
    50:19 is closer to the norm.

jonba
    Free Member

I ride 48:16 on my commuter which is 26″ wheel so a 78″ gear.

Pros are that I can sit comfortably at 20mph on the flat bits. It also improves my climbing ability and strength.

Cons are that it is flippin hard work to get it up hills. Normally it’s fine but doesn’t allow for days when you’re tired or the weather is bad. It’s virtually unrideable in snowy weather as it spins the back wheel.

Other big disadvantage is pulling away from lights as you need to put in a lot of effort to get up to speed.

I find it fine, I have the option to go to 18 or 20 on the back during winter.

So 50 on the front would be ok as you could all the way up to 20t on the rear to find a suitable gear.

crazy-legs

50:15 is a 90″ gear! (assuming you’re talking about a 700c bike).
    That’s huge – I ride about 90″ on the track and I certainly wouldn’t fancy trying any hills on it. My SS road bike is 48:17 (although I’ve run it 48:16 before as well) so about 76″ (81″ if it’s 48:16).

Copes fine with most stuff, I spin out at about 35mph but can still get up hills of 10ish %.

Bez

There’s no such thing as “a 50″ crankset” – you mean a 50T chainring? No-one’s used a 50T chainring on a mountain bike since about 1992, so I assume this is a road bike… but then you have an XT hub you want to fit, which won’t go in a road frame, so – basically – WTF are you talking about? 🙂

winterfold
    Free Member

With the benefit of hindsight I am now possibly annoyed I gave this a serious answer

OP redeem yourself

else

🙁

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

but then you have an XT hub you want to fit, which won’t go in a road frame

Erm, where did the OP say it was a road frame? 😕 🙄

And an XT hub can be fitted with a 130mm axle.

No-one’s used a 50T chainring on a mountain bike since about 1992

I don’t ever remember 50t being a popular easily-available chainring size in 1992… 🙄

so – basically – WTF are you talking about?

Ahem….

thomthumb
    Free Member

It comes with a massive 59-tooth chainring at the front, which means that on the flat Sir Alan is swift, though he slows markedly whenever there is a hill and has to come out of the saddle to pedal hard.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1165492/Sir-Alan-Sugar-reveals-fitness-secrets-helped-lose-stone-.html#ixzz1bRhOvnEg

op is lord sugar!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘50/15 gearing -ok for winterhack-bike ?’ is closed to new replies.