Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • £500 Women's Bike Advice: MTB or Hybrid? New or Used?
  • mefster
    Free Member

One of our son’s friends has finally cracked cycling and now his Mum wants to buy a bike to ride with him. They are quite an outdoors and active family, although as their son is 6, their riding at the moment is limited to fairly straightforward cycle paths that would be suited to any hybrid, but I’d like to think that in the future they may want to try something a little more adventurous.

His Mum is looking at spending up to £500 and rather than just walking into Evans and buying choosing from only what they stock, I offered my input: there’s nothing I enjoy more than spending other people’s bike money!

It’s a long time since I’ve bought a complete adults bike and My initial advice was that looking for a clearance model which has a much better quality component spec and fork than the entry level kit on a £500 bike. She’s also not bothered about buying new. I’ve bought several well maintained second hand bikes myself. I know that when it comes to value for money and new bikes, Boardman are a pretty good baseline (and further 10% off this weekend!)

I’m thinking a lightweight hard tail mountain bike may be a good option- she can put some more suitable tyres on for this stage and stick nobblies on if she gets more adventurous. I know the choice of women’s specific bikes has greatly increased, but she’s reasonably tall so I’m sure a saddle and stem change on a smaller Mens bike would likely suffice if it opens up more options.

As I’m not up to speed on components and forks for the last couple of years, I’d appreciate any guidance on what spec I should be able to aim for, as well as any bargain bikes you’ve spotted on line which may fit the bill!

Thanks in advance!

bigbloke
    Free Member

This isn’t bad value in the 16″ size, plus take 10% off the price in checkout with their current offer online making it £286!!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-aim-disc-26-hardtail-bike-2014/rp-prod114092

brianp
    Free Member

Also looking for a friend at the same budget. She is 5’6″ and will be her only transport.

So fat Paul’s Cycles looks quite good for Cannondale ladies MTB at good prices.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I bought Mrs PP a Ridgeback X3 (£600) earlier this year, for commuting/shopping/touring duties.
    I dropped the gearing as far as I could because we do laden cycle touring, but the standard gearing would be fine otherwise.
    I’ve ridden it, it rides like a good quality MTB 29er, but the skinnier tyres means it zooms along like a sporty hybrid. Tyres are Conti Cyclocross so it’ll do light offroad with ease, and the slightly tougher then the norm hybrid frame will deal with pretty much anything: Luggage, child seats, trailers etc
    Biggest thing is – No heavy suspension fork! Cheap suspension forks are a waste of time anyway.
    There is also an X1 which is bang on £500
    Yes, it’s a mans bike, but there’s no reason why you can’t pop a ladies saddle on it and she’ll be fine.

ampthill

I’d have a look at the 29er hard tails/hybrids in Evans

You can still buy rigid options which to me make them quite versatile

something like this for £450

check for max tyre size. I don’t think it’ll ever be a full on MTB but I think it would follow a 6 year old for quite a few years

Or the bike built for the role. The isla for £450

mefster
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions chaps. I certainly agree that going for rigid forks would give a much better value bike. My family bike is 9 speed with rigid forks but they are carbon: I have always wondered how harsh aluminium rigid forks would be, especially straight. I’ve ridden Project 2s before which I loved, but on a rather more agressive bike.

The Isla bikes option is interesting. Our boys have always had Islabikes- we have a boxed Beinn 20 upstairs ready for my son’s birthday next week. I’ve never really looked closely at their adult bikes. The Pinnacle looks good value although maybe a little racing commuter? I wonder what it would be like with 29er suspension forks?

ampthill

I think the pinnacle isn’t suspension fork corrected (neither is the Isla)

I think this but I don’t think they do a womans version. But that may not matter?

The fork is longer on this one, looking at the pictures

craigxxl
    Free Member

Have a look at Charge Grater. My wife loves hers and mainly rides towpaths, cycleways and similar stuff to your friend.

mefster
    Free Member

Just having a look at some of the offers available on CRC: extra 10% sweetens the deal…

Corratec X-Vert 650B Expert Mountain Bike 2014 £535 from £800 with extra 10%

Ghost SE 4000 Hardtail Bike – Cosmetic Damage 2014 £500 from £820 extra 10%

Ghost MISS 1800 Womens Hardtail Bike £385 from £550 with extra 10%

Ghost SE 2930 Hardtail Bike 2014 29er £545 from £780 with extra 10%

Ghost MISS 3000 Womens Hardtail Bike 2014 £504 from £720 with extra 10%

I’ve no previous experience of Ghost bikes but these bikes are in budget and with the added discount look excellent value for money. The SE 2930 29er and MISS 3000 women’s look particularly good. My only concern would be that a bike with an RRP of £800 might be a little more racy and uncompromising for a ‘leisure’ bike.

Thoughts on the Ghost brand?

cinnamon_girl

Don’t forget that most wimminz need a shorter top tube so not all blokes bikes will be suitable. Some will be fine, for example Rock Lobster, Cotic, Santa Cruz.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘£500 Women's Bike Advice: MTB or Hybrid? New or Used?’ is closed to new replies.