Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • £500 ish Commuter bike?
  • larry

Hello all, I am after a bike for commuting to work on during the winter, I have been using my orange 5 for spring/summer which has been great but I normally get a bike for winter then sell it in the spring to keep the 5 nice! This year I want something simple, singlespeed is fine but I live in the peak district so it would need to be fairly easy gearing ,light, can take full mudgaurds, it needs to come in a size suited to a 5ft 4 person and cost around £500. I guess as I love bikes it has to look nice too! Any Ideas I can check out please. Cheers.

davygravy
    Free Member

Didn't realise Commencal did hybrids until recently but how about the new Commencal Babylon 2

larry

looks nice but a bit pricey for me, cheers though davy.

stumpyjon

I shudder to say it but what about a Halfords Boardman, was in Halfords this afternoon getting some wet and dry paper and had a quick look. Having done quite a bit of looking for my brother in law recently I somehow missed the Boardman, nice looking bikes with a fairly high spec for the money.

CountZero

Trek do a whizzy new bike called, IIRC, the Soho, it's alloy, 700c wheels, guards, SS, but the trick bit is it's belt-drive, so no chain lubing, getting trousers caught in the sprockets, etc, and it's lighter. It weighs around twenty pounds. Not sure about price, somewhere around £5-600.
    [edit] just found a pic [/edit]

Potter
    Free Member

charge plug? £499 on wiggle

hairymechanic
    Free Member

Claud Butler Urban 300/400 or 500.

larry

I really like the look of the charge plug type bikes but am not sure if they will take full mudguards or if I will be able to get them up Derbyshire hills! I used 34-17 on my last singlespeed.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Another vote for the Boardman Hybrid Comp here.

Sizing could be interesting as I ride a medium and I'm 5'11", don;t know if they do an XS?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘£500 ish Commuter bike?’ is closed to new replies.