Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • £500 and a bit quid bikes would you expect 27 gears?
  • tinsy
    Free Member

My nephew has just been bought a Genesis core 10, its looks great but at that price would you have expected 27 speed and something better than an Alivio mech?

They went out to buy a Lapierre Tecnic 400 thats looked like a good deal at similar money to me, but have come back with the Genesis on order, it doesnt look as good a spec to me.

james
    Free Member

Some do, some don't
    27 instead of 24 gears isn't really that important. So long as the 8 speed casette is an 11-32T (okay so you can get 11-34T 9spd), and an even spread then its not that biiger deal?

I'd rather worry about having a half decent fork and ideally some basic hydraulic brakes at that price (I know very few do)

The Edinburgh Bicycle Coops own brand £480 bike has juicy 3s and a tora up front though, which even before prices went through the roof was a bargain

tinsy
    Free Member

yup both had shimano hydro brakes and the same/similar suntour xcr fork.

I feel the lack of the 9 speed gears isnt good, yeah I know in the real world the ratios are not a big issue, but the alivio rear mech on 8 speed to a deore 9 speed is quite a drop in spec as far as I can make out..

Olly
    Free Member

upgrade.

8spd wins every time over 9spd.
    wider chain therefore less suceptible to mud and crap wot we get over here in GB-land ruining ones indexing.

atlaz
    Free Member

Friend of mine was asking for recommendations the other day. The £500 mark gets you a lot less than it did when I got my HT a few years back.

As an aside, he's going for a Genesis Core 30 after I told him to steer clear of a Gary Fisher something or other and thought the Core looked slightly better than a Marin Hawk Hill.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Scott Aspect 8 speed

Kona Blast 8 speed

Claud Butler Cape Wrath 8 speed

I reckon 8 speed is pretty normal at that price.

soobalias
    Free Member

yes i would expect 27spd deore drivetrain.

however having recently done some shopping for my dad, it would appear that more often than not i would be disappointed.

tinsy
    Free Member

atlaz seems to have it, £500 is not getting as much bike as it used to it seems, bike is good other than that, perhaps my expectations are too high.

Mister-P
    Free Member

When you think that, for example, an XT mech has gone from £45 to £70 in the last 18 months then perhaps your expectations are just a little dated.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘£500 and a bit quid bikes would you expect 27 gears?’ is closed to new replies.