Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 50 years since Tom Simpson Died on Ventoux
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, but.

scud
    Free Member

Still probably the Uk’s greatest one-day racer, brilliant rider with a very obvious flaw. Will Fotheringham’s “Put me back on the bike” was a really good read.

Imagine having diarrhoea so bad, your mechanics had to hose down bike, being dehydrated and the temps being in the 30’s, then taking speed and Cognac and his agent having given him the ultimatum that he must finish in top 5 (whilst in 7th place) or pay heavily financially to the point where you may not get a ride next year, this was a culture where drugs had not been banned until the season before in TdF. He brought UK cycling forward a huge jump forward and was a tough sod.

MoreCashThanDash

Shame he is remembered for his death rather than his achievements.

There is a local audax event that goes to his home village of Harworth, great display of memorabilia in the sports and social club there.

A victim of his times.

mudshark
    Free Member

He was friends with an old boy in my road club and gave him a WC jersey which he passed on to Wiggins when he won the Tour.

Edukator
    Free Member

My memory says 17 riders died of heart attacks in the seventies. Others died from ilnesses such as hepatitis associated with injecting. Others died of kidney disease due to cortisone, and a significant number ended up in psychiatric hospitals. We’ll find out what ills the current riders are storing up in a few years times. They’re always ahead of the testing labs.

slowoldman

I grew up in Harworth and remember the funeral well. Iwent down to the cemetery after the funeral and I have an old photo tucked away somewhere of a wreath in the shape of dropbars. We had the Tom Simpson memorial race held around the village for two or three years (I think?) afterwards which initially attracted quite a few continental pros. Quite a spectacle for a pit village.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘50 years since Tom Simpson Died on Ventoux’ is closed to new replies.