Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 5 yr old Boiler is FUBAR.
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

]We had a boiler fitted 5 years ago by British Gas as part of our annual contract plan. The boiler was fitted free due to a major safety issue by a british gas contractor (it was during Dec 2010).
    Anyway, had the boiler serviced each year with BG as per the annual contract until last year.
    Due to work etcI missed an annual service, but swapped from British Gas to the AA 12 months ago.
    Finally got around to getting the initial pre-checks done by the AA today only to be told that –
    The Boiler had been poorly fitted (incorrect gaskets on the flu fitted, they used decorators tape on the internal flu where it enters the wall)
    The Boiler was ” at risk” as the burner is corroded.
    It is a Baxi Solo Condenser Boiler.
    Just awaiting a call back from the AA to see what the damage/repair bill is going to be
    So, do I have a case against British Gas ( 2 yr warranty on the boiler only 🙁 )

footflaps

If you can show that the boiler died prematurely, as a result of their poor installation, then possibly.

However, as you’ve had 5 years use out of it and modern boilers don’t seem to last much longer than 5-7 years, your legitimate compensation would only be for the missing 2 ish years one might expect from it’s expected lifetime.

sv

Advise the gas safe register and speak to baxi direct, would be my first thoughts. Might not help with a new boiler but they should be told how their products are being used.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Not sure why it has died. The AA chap ( they use a firm called Barlows) was shocked at the corrosion and poor fitting. Can’t believe boilers only last for 5 years! Really?? They are an expensive item 🙁

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Will do SV cheers.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Boilers don’t last just 5 years. That’s a ridiculous statement. Some of the newer boilers are coming out with a 10 yr parts and labour guarantee if you have them serviced regularly via approved gas safe engineers.
    Id definitely speak to baxi get their advice and then on to british gas. What is decorators tape btw?

footflaps

Boilers don’t last just 5 years. That’s a ridiculous statement.

There do seem to be a lot of threads with people having boiler problems around the 5-7 year mark though.

No idea if anyone has any real stats. I’d suspect they have more problems in hard water areas as the heat exchangers will potentially scale up more. If they were bomb proof you’d see better warranties, which normally gives you a rough idea of what the manufacturer is prepared to commit to.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Spoke to Baxi, it is not a common fault and should have lasted much longer.
    Currently trying British Gas . Still got the original job number so we shall see.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Still wondering what decorators tape is and why its near a boiler 😯

julians
    Free Member

Sounds more like the aa bloke is trying to sell a new boiler to a punter who knows no better to me.

Have you independently verified that what the aa bloke is telling you is correct? If the boiler is still working away happily I’d be tempted to just ignore him.

footflaps

The Boiler was ” at risk” as the burner is corroded.

To be fair, our boiler is just one huge chunk of rust (cast iron heat exchanger), held together by limescale.

Still it’s lasted over 30 years and has a few more in it yet.

divenwob
    Free Member

If the boiler is installed as per the manufacturer’s instruction’s and maintained correctly it will give good service,unfortunately it seems that many installers are not doing this hence the diabolic lifespan.Poor installation followed by poor water quality are the two biggest killers I would say.Feel for you OP.

divenwob
    Free Member

Best not to use the boiler without having an engineer check it out,corrosion is never a plus.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s this sort of thing that gives me a dilemma. We’re going to build an extension which means moving our 20+ yr old external boiler and single skin oil tank. I’m minded to replace them with a new and presumably more efficient boiler, and a bunded tank, as it seems like the obvious time to do it, but then keep hearing stories of new boilers not lasting like the old ones do.

sv

Some sort of filtration system is normally a good idea and a scale/corrosion inhibitor added into the system also.

bigad40
    Free Member

I did some sub contracting for British Gas, I’m not surprised it was poorly fitted they raped me!
    Before you ask I didn’t fit any Baxi Solos!
    Coroded burner might be “at risk” but it easily changed.
    I’ll have a look if your near enough, Epsom, Surrey.

divenwob
    Free Member

There is an agency on a trade Facebook forum currently asking for Engineer’s to home survey,service appliances and fit a co alarm within London for £27, why are they not lasting hmmmm…

matt_outandabout

Our uber posh boiler at work is 5 years old – and just died a death of many hundreds of British pounds to fix. The plumber said he was seeing more and more bikes needing major repair 5-7 years…
    Meanwhile, my 18 year old one keeps going….

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

The baxi solos used to come with some white tape for the flue which was a pita to get on, hated fitting the solo’s. Try baxi for a fixed price repair as well.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Update- waiting on a call from the British Gas installations manager this AM. The Burner assembly isn’t that expensive, so if I have to pay for repairs it won’t be too bad.
    Wrightyson, the decorators tape has been used around the joint where the flu pipe meets an internal wall. It is just cosmetic but the AA engineer said a proper bracket should have been used.

matt_outandabout

I arrived to the (cold) office again this morning, and plumber is back replacing fan mechanism it seems on our Vokera Mynlite HE.

It seems you are expected to factor in hundred per year in service, maintenance and replacement cost. Likely more than the gas cost savings of a marginally more efficient machine…. 😕

nickjb
    Free Member

Our boiler service guy is a friend so hopefully gives us honest advice. He’s says we should do everything we can to keep our old vaillant running. There might be a slight saving due to efficiency but that can easily be swallowed up by servicing and potential shorter lifespan of a modern boiler.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Ok, update. The Service Manager from British Gas came out to look at the boiler today. He has made an initial assessment and has said that there is nothing wrong with the boiler/heatexchange/burner other than some slight corrosion on the burner which is normal. A BG engineer is coming out to us next week to do a full check/service for free.
    Maybe the sub contractor from the AA was angling for some work? Either way I am not happy with how AA Home Cover have conducted themselves. 😡

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘5 yr old Boiler is FUBAR.’ is closed to new replies.