Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)
  • 5 Weeks to go for new dad… any final tips..
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

I know there has been a good few of these posts over the years but there's been some good advice.

Wife is finishing work in 2 weeks but just wants him/her to pop out asap.

put the cot up last night, freaked me out as i wanted to wait a bit longer. all the final nesting/decorating bits have been done and the orders from the mother-in-law have been followed and im back in the good books

we've been given a load of stuff and bought some bits.

car seat – check
    mosses basket – check
    baby monitor – check
    push chair 1 (flimsy one) – check (forget the make but its black and silver frame folds down really small)
    push chair 2 (sturdy one) – check (doesn't fold aswell much bigger than pushchair 1)
    cot – check
    loads of baby grows/sleep bags – check

Umm…. any other pearls of wisdom.

i'm in limbo at the moment, half excited and half numb..

ps- were both in our mid 30's, don't know why im adding that?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

bikes on ebay?

bassspine
    Free Member

get some sleep. do lots of sleeping. save it in a bag so you can get some sleep after the baby's born.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Be very forthcoming with practical help, it will be appreciated even if it doesn't seem that way.

Do not be remotely forthcoming with advice or suggestions, they will not be appreciated and you will know about it.

Very small babies are nice and all that, but your time will come a bit later on, in my experience.

binners

Do you have any decent lights? If not, get some. Night riding is the only riding you're going to be doing for a while. Once the nippers all tucke up.

And… have you got a bag packed ready to go to hospital? They don't stick to a schedule, the little buggers. They arrive whenever they're ready. Our first was nearly four weeks early. Which was a bit of surprise

theotherjonv

ear plugs
    sense of humour
    clothes peg (for nappy duties, until you get used to it)
    Large bottle of MTFU pills for when you think 'I can't do this!' You can, the survival of the race has ingrained it into you
    Big bunch of flowers for the wife.
    I'm sending you both a parcel of good luck.

Seriously, there's nothing you need that can't be got from Tesco at a moment's notice and they stay open all night. Trust me, you'll be wheeling junior through there in the early hours desperate for him to drop off at some point.

ooh, just thought. Get cooking now and get some home cooked meals potted up so you can just nuke them when needed.

br
    Free Member

Chill and the baby needs routine, a bit like a puppy – whatever you do in the first few weeks is imbedded for the next 18-36 months.

And you don't need half of the gear you've already bought… e.g. cot – won't be used for 3-4 months, except to put the moses basket in.

But will need more baby growers than you imagine.

3 sons, 16, 15 and 11.

bruneep

ahh the innocence of new parents to be.

teagirl
    Free Member

Yep, bank the sleep now! Get plenty of tea and coffee in, you'll be having lots of visitors! Enjoy every minute, things'll never be the same again 😀

binners

I used to give the Mrs Binners a lie in every saturday morning while i took the little un out for the day. You get to bond properly and it gets you some serious brownie points 🙂

hora
    Free Member

monkey boy get your riding in now. You wont get out for circa 6months after the newbie arrives. All the best 😀

Our little lad is 5 1/2weeks old now. I'm hoping to get the bike out again in Autumn/Winter.

binners

Says Hora, who's out riding with me tonight

Oh… and take a good look around your house. Is it clean? Tidy? Uncluttered? Is all that nice furniture you bought not smeared in jammy fingerprints?

Enjoy that. It will never ever ever be the case again 🙂

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers.

the 'hospital' bag ingredients are being bought tonight

*must remember gift for the wife for the actual big day* (they don't allow flowers in our hospital any other ideas, she did want a 'proper camera')

i keep having this nagging feeling the little him or her is going to pop anytime soon….

i havent done much riding this year so that bit is not going to effect me really.

ive only booked 2 weeks paternity off, everyone was telling em to book another two weeks and have a month but i'd rather save the 2 weeks until later

cheers all….. keep em coming, i'll put them onto my clipboard and show the mother in law!!

bruneep

2 wks is long enough, mrs mb will be glad to see the back of you after two weeks at home, you'll be glad of some other adult conversation that doesn't contain baby stuff.

hora
    Free Member

monkey_boy, my two-penneth. Everyones experience will be different. Play it by ear and do what works best for you two. I've ridden every weekend like normal. I'm out of bed earlier and back earlier.

Just because someone had a child themselves doesn't make them an expert to go on speaking tours and write books on the subject 😉

(That also includes our parents). Mrshora's Mum is very keen to point out that she knows best and my missus is crap/hasn't got a clue. Funnily, her Mum's last experience of a baby was three decades ago..

DarrenH

Muslin cloths! And lots of 'em!
    They wipe up sick/ poo just about anything.
    Good Luck!

warton
    Free Member

good luck monkey_boy. less than two weeks till my wifes due date. really excited. Baby was right at the bottom of the growth scale chart, but its growing much better now and has a strong heart beat etc, so can't wait til the big day now!!

redx

A sign for the door to warn visitors not to knock or ring the bell as you're all asleep and won't appreciate being woken up….

oldgit
    Free Member

Have you got the video recorder for the front room yet so that the little'un has somewhere to put the toast/cash/credit cards.

hora
    Free Member

A sign for the door to warn visitors not to knock or ring the bell as you're all asleep and won't appreciate being woken up….

I've always had a habit of ringing a doorbell none-stop and knocking repeatedly at the same time. One evening I was almost lynched by friends who have a Victorian/old-fashioned bell over their kitchen door…..3metres from their young son who they were trying to settle…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Seriously, there's nothing you need that can't be got from Tesco at a moment's notice and they stay open all night.

Totally agree

If you are feeding with formula (immediately or in the future) fill the clean bottles with half the water you need and store in a fridge for up to 24 hours. Then add the other half of freshly boiled water and the formula as and when you need it – much quicker that way.

And trust your instincts – it is your baby, not the health visitor's or the doctor's or your better half's mum's…

Finally – enjoy every minute of it, it is a joy and the hard nights are soon forgotten.

🙂

Nick

It's important to get the ground rules sorted out now before it's too late, explain to your wife that it's her job to look after the baby and that you expect them both to fit it around your cycling schedule, as a gesture of goodwill tell her you'll change a nappy a day and cook dinner at weekends.

slimtubing
    Free Member

a metric assload of nappies; newborns go through up to 10 a day.
    a "jolly jumper" a springy gizmo that hangs from the door frame and suspends your 4-5 month upwards old in a captive state so you can finish a cup of tea once in a while.

DrP

When guests ask to visit an wonder what they can bring – ask them to bring hot cooked food (lasagne/spag bol/curry etc).

They were the most amazing 'gifts' when we had visitors in the first few days as your energy to cook proper food will all have been diverted to cleaning poop and propping up eyelids!

Things we completely forgot we'd need, and now have thankfully:
    -more sleeping bags than 2!
    -More simple baby grows
    -Monitor with decent quality reception (live over 3 floors)
    -Stimulating toys (simple ones)

DrP

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

BTW – Asda have a baby event on till 8 May – some good bargains to be had on nappies etc.

hora
    Free Member

Our dog found and comprehensively shredded a used nappy yesterday.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Book a pre-arranged delivery. Natural birth is barbaric.
    Get some sleep NOW. Your life is about to change beyond belief. Have you ever been to 4am Korma nappy change?
    All babies are different so don't take advice from anyone and trash the self help books.
    Make sure you introduce baby to bottle if you're breast feeding.
    Don't listen to my advice.

hora
    Free Member

It's important to get the ground rules sorted out now before it's too late, explain to your wife that it's her job to look after the baby and that you expect them both to fit it around your cycling schedule, as a gesture of goodwill tell her you'll change a nappy a day and cook dinner at weekends.

😆

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Our little lad is 5 1/2weeks old now. I'm hoping to get the bike out again in Autumn/Winter.

Our daughter is five weeks old (our first), last week I did HONC on Sunday, swimming on Tuesday night, 30 mile evening road ride on Wednesday night swimming on Thursday night and a 2 hour MTB ride on Saturday.

I've got a 100 mile ride next Saturday and I'm also doing the clic24 solo in two weeks time.

I see no problem, ground rules laid down before the baby is born helps I guess.

Nick

I know someone who celebrated his first born by shagging a nurse, nice twist on 'wetting the baby's head' I thought.

buffalobill
    Free Member

Ours were 6wks early (first)and 5wks early (second). Just in case you were thinking of putting your feet up….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Book a pre-arranged delivery. Natural birth is barbaric.

A joke I assume?

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

If it hasn't already been mentioned – pay lots of attention to Mrs monkey-boy. Mums get quite neglected when a baby comes along and they really take it to heart.

hora
    Free Member

I know someone who celebrated his first born by shagging a nurse, nice twist on 'wetting the baby's head' I thought.

The nurses in the birthing bit was brilliant. Really cared and their passion for the job really came out.

The nurses on the maternity ward came across as bored idiots. So shagging them wasn't on my mind – more hitting them with a bloody stick.

Ours were 6wks early (first)and 5wks early (second). Just in case you were thinking of putting your feet up….

We honestly thought ours was going to have to be induced so I text'd work saying I was going to have the next day off (to go riding)….an hour later she went into Labour…sheesh!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Black out/lined curtains are a must at this time of year!

It's hard work but it's flipping brilliant!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Agree with your missus rules for visiting etc, and stick to them.

My MiL wsa a right cow one night, turned up at about 8ish with all her sisters and then proceeded to try & drink the house dry while Mrs MFL was stuck upstairs cradling a colicky crying baby who even at the age of 2 weeks was down & asleep usually by 7.00pm. Needless to say Mil & cronies had all insisted on playing pass the **** baby until about 10.00pm, then couldn't understand why Joanne wasn't able to sit & chat with them. I felt like crap about it because I'd been out with some mates so hadn't been there to play the unreasonable son in law, which is the normal role I assume in such situations!

It's your child, your house, your rules, agree them with Mrs Monkey_Boy now and stick to them!

Harry_the_Spider

Get Sky+

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Depending on the facilities your hospital has? we paid extra for a private room on the baby ward. It made the first hours with our new born so much more special. Being able to have privacy and quiet were brilliant. Think it cost us £30/40 a night.

Unless labels are important to you, don't bother with all these designer baby brands for clothing. Tesco/asda/sainsburys clothing is just as good and sometimes better than clothing we've had from Mamas & Papas/Mothercare etc. That and when you see some clothing get worn 2-3 times before it's too small.

+1 missingfrontallobe says – Also don't be afraid to turn people away at the door when random not seen for years distant family members turn up in the first few days home. Mum and baby take priority over everything else in the first few weeks, you need to play the part of minder in the hospital and at home. In the hospital you need to make sure mum gets what she wants and needs, even if that means telling the nurses how you want things done! When you get home you'll need to enforce rules when people come, how long they stay etc.

MrsTricky
    Free Member

You could include a few magazines in the hospital bag – MissT slept for ages when newborn and in hospital, and I had insomnia. Had packed the book I'd just started reading .. maybe Jurassic Park wasn't the best idea in retrospect, as it starts with the velociraptors getting the newborn in hospital!

MrsT

whytetrash

"Contented little baby book" was good…kids should come with a manual..come on everything else you get that you need to look after for 20yrs plus does!

rather than sleep now I reckon cinema, meals out with the Mrs now cos you'll miss out on those for a while!

Good luck and it's not that tough…..and the 2nd one is way easier! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘5 Weeks to go for new dad… any final tips..’ is closed to new replies.