Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • 5 Spot…not feeling it – fit or forget?
  • Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Been riding a 2010 spot this year (my first foray into full sus) and I can’t say that I’ve really gelled with it. My main gripe is that when I’m out of the saddle for a fast or technical section, the saddle is always in the way, jamming at the back of my legs and threatening me with some otb action. I feel on top of the bike, rather than a part of it.

Just an issue with bike fit that can be sorted with a tweak or two, or is the frame just wrong for me?

Logic tells me that I should perhaps look at reach first, but the front end likes to wander on steep switchback climbs so I’d prefer not to exacerbate that. Plus, I’m already on a 50mm stem, so can’t go much shorter in any case.

Vital statistics: 5’7″, medium frame, 50mm stem, 140mm forks, 32 24 32.

Ta,
    R

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I didn’t gel with my HL spot at first. TBH it still is a complete PITA to ride up any kind of incline and it never feels tight n taut in level singletrack. But it more than repays that when the trail points down, then its just bonkers.

Have you got your saddle higher than on your HT? I can’t understand why the saddle is an issue on the spot?

I’m riding a medium and I’m 5’10” though, with longish legs for my height, so maybe I have better standover.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Have you got your saddle higher than on your HT? I can’t understand why the saddle is an issue on the spot?

Nope…not particularly high. I do most of my peddling from seated, so the saddle is high enough to get decent leg extension, but not so that I have yards of post sticking out like some of the pics on here!

I’m riding a medium and I’m 5’10” though, with longish legs for my height, so maybe I have better standover.

I don’t have long arms or legs for my height, probably on the short side if anything. I mean, I’m not a freak with it or owt like that…

nickf
    Free Member

I didn’t gel with my HL spot at first. TBH it still is a complete PITA to ride up any kind of incline and it never feels tight n taut in level singletrack. But it more than repays that when the trail points down, then its just bonkers.

Mine only ever made sense when I stuck a coil on it. The original shock was reasonably horrible. But it’s always climbed astonishingly well and has been absolutely fine on 100+ mile days.

Re sizing, I suspect that at 5’7″ you’re on the border of the wrong side – if you’ve got the shortest stem you can and have shuffled the saddle as far forward as possible, not much more you can do.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Mine only ever made sense when I stuck a coil on it. The original shock was reasonably horrible. But it’s always climbed astonishingly well and has been absolutely fine on 100+ mile days.

I’ve got a coil shock on there and I have no issues with climbing…pedaling from the saddle is fine too, it just that when I stand up and drop my heels the saddle is always jamming at the back of my legs.

Re sizing, I suspect that at 5’7″ you’re on the border of the wrong side – if you’ve got the shortest stem you can and have shuffled the saddle as far forward as possible, not much more you can do.

I did wonder about that, maybe I’d have been better off with a small.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Oh I can pedal it uphill, it pedals reasonably well, the traction is amazing, its just very heavy and nothing like a scandium race HT obviously! Especially with 2.5 super tackys on, its dog slow until the trail points down.

Rusty – considered a dropper ‘post? Its an expense sure, but maybe worth considering?

coogan
    Free Member

Do you actually drop the seat post down?

coogan
    Free Member

2.5 Super Tackys front and rear?! No wonders it slower up hill!

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Ahem…so I have actually got a dropper fitted 😀

I’m happy to drop the saddle for a full on descent and of course when i do that it isn’t an issue! Thing is, I don’t want to be dicking around with it every time there’s a a bit of a trail feature to negotiate. I want a bike that fits (or my bike to fit) so that I can stand up, drop my heels and move fairly freely around the bike.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Drop your saddle an inch. Just one inch. Try it then. It may feel less efficient, but be patient. It may feel better.

2.5 Super Tackys front and rear?! No wonders it slower up hill!

Well, only on the front actually, but they seem to suit the hooligan character of the bike. I have XC’d it up with full XTR and semi slicks, but it always seemed wrong somehow, it’s supposed to smash into stuff.

coogan
    Free Member

Yeah it is!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

#5spotlovein

MartynS

old HL 5spot here..

Only one descent round my way I ever bother dropping the saddle for (if I remember)

Never had a problem getting off the back of it, never felt like its going to pitch me over the front either.

I’m 5’10” on a medium. I think with a 90mm 10 degree stem and straight seatpost.

I actually lightened mine up recently. Changed the Pikes for Fox Vanillas. I’d also tried Maxxis 2.4 Advantage which were just to big and slow so I got the 2.25 which are still big, but quite fast rolling.

Oh and a Romic shock on the back.

Hooter
    Free Member

Wouldn’t a longer stem pull your weight further forward and help climbing? And/or maybe experiment pushing the saddle forward a bit?

I’m 5’8″, got an 80mm stem on my medium 2010 5 spot. My first return to FS since the trusty Proflex 855 gave up the ghost c. ’02. Must admit it does feel a bit like your on top of the bike rather than in it, but I don’t feel like the saddle gets in the way. Love it for trail centres and rocky Peak/Lake district stuff, but keep to the hardtail for more undulating cross country rides.

andyfb78
    Free Member

I had a medium HL 5 spot, I’m 5’7″. it was too big and I never got comfortable with it. shame it was a lovely machine. I have short arse legs and long torso, and it still felt too long, even with silly stubby stem.

looking back should have bought a flux and should ahve bought a small.

now have small asr and i love the fit… if it wasn’t so delicate i’d be on the perfect bike.

I really must accept that I’m just not as tall as i think.

see if you can find a small and try it, i could tell in less than 500yrds that it was better, doh….

lowey

Coming from 6 years on an hl 5spot to a dw it took me best part of 2 months to gel with it. I’d also say that your borderline between a small and medium.

I’m 5’7 on a medium – never had a problem with descending, or climbing or anything really. Maybe your seat is pushed too far forward on the rails? You got a photo of the bike set-up? I wonder…do you have really wide bars? I’ve often wondered if these impact on your fore/aft position and, basically, tip you further forward than narrower bars. Hope you get it sorted; would be a shame to lose a Homer.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I’ve fiddled about with the saddle, fore & aft, to the limits on the rails and also buggered around with the height a fair bit.

Bars are 710mm, I did wonder whether some narrower bars may help and I’ve got some 660mm (I think) so I’ll swap them over and see if that makes much of a difference. I’ve also pondered more rise (0 degree stem & 25mm rise bars) but obviously this will exacerbate the front end wandering on steep switchback climbs – it’s OK at the moment, but don’t want to increase the tendency.

Reckon I’ll change the bars and see how I get on, then it’s time to try some different bikes and see if i can find something that works a little better for me.

Ta,
    R

jedi

the hieght of the saddle will be the same wjhatever size frame you get

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Yeah, but the geo will alter where it is in relation to may @rse when I’m up out of the saddle, no?

jedi

not particuly.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Hmmm…so whether I’m on a full-on DH bike or an XC racer, if I have the post at the same height on both bikes the saddle will be in the same place in relation to my @rse when I’m stood on the pedals? That doesn’t seem right…

jedi

yeah pretty much if the saddle is the same hieght on a small, med or large

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I’m not convinced! I assumed the much slacker angle on a DH bike say at 62 degrees would result in the saddle being further behind, in effect, and therefore a bit more out of the way at a given seat post height when compared to a seat tube @ say 74 degrees. Of course, I could be wrong…my bike doesn’t even fit me properly, so what would I know 😀

uphilla
    Free Member

Had a medium HL 5-Spot for 6 years, about your height. It has been fine, but after trying a ‘small’ frame in another make realise that I would have found life so much easier had the Turner also been small – so now changing…

toons
    Free Member

sell it and get something that fits

FuzzyWuzzy

Can’t really see how a saddle would be hitting the back of your legs when standing unless it’s on a very steep climb, surely with heels down on a techy flat/DH section the saddle will be between your legs or slightly in front of you?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

toons, i think you’re right…

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

FuzzyWuzzy – Member
    …surely with heels down on a techy flat/DH section the saddle will be between your legs or slightly in front of you?

That’s what I want, yeah…to stand up, drop my heels and comfortably slot behind the saddle. I can get behind the saddle but it’s too much of a stretch and doesn’t feel comfortable/natural…arms too stretched out, so lacking control & movement, not good.

Thanks all…new bike testing beckons. Anyone want to buy a 2010 Spot…it’s AWESOME!

toons
    Free Member

The second hand price might change your mind 🙁

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Yeah, the CRC sale hasn’t done us any favors…still, at least they’ve sold out now, so on the one hand there are no bargains left, but on the other, probably little demand. I plan to take my time choosing my next frame, so doubt I’ll actually try to sell it before next spring.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Try playing around with stem length to vary the cockpit size.

Also how wide is the node of your saddle?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Going longer seems counter intuitive and as I’m at 50mm I can only go down to 35mm. It’s off a Genesis Altitude 10 and looks a bit like a Spoon, so I’d guess 150mm.

Marko

Sorry I can’t see why you want to be off the back of the saddle, unless its super steep? I’ll happily drop the saddle an inch for a known section that needs full on cranking to have the most fun.

I’m 5’6″ on a medium HL,coil shock, Fox Vans up front, 50mm stem and a layback seat post – short legs long arms.
    PM if you decide to sell 😆
    Hth
    Marko

5lab

where are the saddle, bars and bb compared to your other bikes?

a slacker seatpost angle will move a saddle back a little, but not by much – maybe 1-2cm. Using the dropper more will definately help – have you got a remote one or one where you have to move your hand back?

also try angling the saddle differently?

hora
    Free Member

I feel on top of the bike, rather than a part of it.

You’ll never get rid of this. My 2010 large felt tall and awkward. I tried angleset and offset bushes. Slight improvement but not the best.

The 2011 is subtly different in every area but is still quite a ‘tall’ feeling bike IMO compared to Specialized Enduro (which actually has a higher BB!).

OP Your headtube is shorter than my large one so you could try a 1.5degree angleheadset (works components) whereas I could only use a 1degree one.

johnners
    Free Member

OP Your headtube is shorter than my large one so you could try a 1.5degree angleheadset (works components) whereas I could only use a 1degree one.

How’s messing about with the head angle going to do anything to the saddle position?

hora
    Free Member

Goodpoint, I was thinking of the on rather than in (affecting the height of the bike).

Look at your shock, is it kicking back on descents? Too much rebound?

AlexSimon

I’m confused. I think before you do anything rash, you should take it to a good dealer and see what they say about fit.

Or get someone experienced to watch you ride.

On the one hand, it sounds too big.
    On the other hand, a smaller bike is only going to make you feel more ‘on’ rather than ‘in’.

Whyte1
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2010 in med , i’m 5’8 and the bike is a great fit and not tall and awkward at all far from it really . i’d say you need to look at set up and not bike fit at all or maybe even a skills course

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘5 Spot…not feeling it – fit or forget?’ is closed to new replies.