Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 5 SPOT horst link zerk ..does it do anything?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

just taking a 04/05 5 spot apart and noticed that the top hat style bushes on the horst link pivot touch each other (almost) making me think that any grease squirted in via the zerk fitting will be targeting the wrong side of the bushes..no ?
    I can see how it works with the wider pivots but with the mini ones at the back ..does any grease really get through ?
    one other thing for any experts ..
    once the shock is removed should the linkage be very smooth/easy to move …or is it a characteristic of turner that they are a little stiff when moving by hand?
    you’ll probably see me asking more questions as the rebuild commences . I’m not a novice by any means but value other’s experiences.
    thanks
    Bill in devon

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    I have a 04 Spot too.Unfortunately i haven’t taken linkage apart but just greased the zerks so can’t really give you a technical answer,Try MTBR on the Turner forum for some better info! Have recently stripped mine down for a re- finish.My pivots are stiff or have some stiction too.I believe this to be because of the use of bushings rather than bearings.The re- finish at Turner includes new bushes so i will be able to tell if stiction is still there when it gets back.Are you the same Kaiser as on Retrobike? I’am Bonty1 on there!
    Thanx Max

Swayndo
    Free Member

Bill, I recently bought stripped and rebuilt an 04 5 Spot. There is a small gap between the bushings and grease does get through, but it’s tight. There’s a modification here http://turnertech.fooriders.com/modifications.html, but mine have the helical groove like the bigger pivot shafts. Overall it felt stiffer than a similarly frame with pivot bearings to the hand, but when on it, it feels great.

lowey

Never been able to get grease into the HL zerk… There is simply no room unless you have the modified bar with the grooves cut in.

kaiser
    Free Member

I don’t understand why they didn’t come with the helical groove or similar channels like the larger pivot shafts and also why the bushes aren’t a bit shorter inside allowing a decent gap for the grease to enter.
    TF1 …no I’m not the kaiser on retrobike but have been the original kaiser on here for about 5 years.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Mine have helical grooves in them kaiser. Must have been in a full kit sorted by a previous owner.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Until late ‘O5 the Horst pivot shafts we’re grooved like the others.

I happened to ask mr Turner on mtbr why they weren’t grooved like all the others and AFAIK, since a few months after then they’ve all been grooved. DT said he didn’t really know why they weren’t, but they really kinda should be.

So, if the shafts are plan bored, they’re either original installation form the time of manufature of the bike, or an older pivot kit.

kaiser
    Free Member

Fortunately a kind forum member (russian chap) sent me a pack of various bits from the bushing rebuild kit that he hadn’t used and it does indeed contain some helical grooved HL pivots so I’ll be fitting those . Don’t know whether you’ll read this S/O but you always come across as fairly well informed and I just wondered what your view was re how stiff the rear triangle is to cycle by hand with the shock removed (and no play in the bushes?) as i mentioned earlier mine seems a lot stiffer than i would have expected (and when compared to for example a well serviced NRS linkage) The the grease ports do seem to have been used reguarly by the previous owner. I’ve heard the tolerances are tight with turners but also that they have very little stiction. Guess it’s that last phrase that is making me wonder whether a bit of surgery is necessary.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

With new bushes, the rear pivots of a 5spot/flux etc are supposed to ‘hold their set’ i.e not flop under their own weight. They are supposed to freely move with some hand pressure, but hold their position when un-weighted. Apparently this is static friction, and dynamic friction of the system on the trail during actual riding is much less. I’ve never felt any stiction during the ride at least. The scale of forces once you’ve loaded up the bike with your body weight mean that what stiction there is is pretty inconsequential – so the theory goes.

shortcut

As above – definately some static friction when on the stand but once riding they are fine.

My HL bushes have a groove in them and yes, there is a small gap betweent the top hats and it is enough to make it all work properly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘5 SPOT horst link zerk ..does it do anything?’ is closed to new replies.