• This topic has 61 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ernie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • 5 grand to spend – Carbon high performance super bike or 24 year old hardtail?
  • ds3000
    Free Member

Me too, looks mint condition. Probably have more fun on that than a 5 grand carbon jobbie, although I’d be afraid to scratch it.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

no… carbon full susser for me…. no matter how good that bike was in the day, it’ll be awful to ride by comparison to anything modern, and nostalgia will wear off very quickly indeed

wwaswas

You’d never be able to ride it.

That’s ‘museum grade’ – I’m not sure I’d ever even build it up if it were mine.

onandon
    Free Member

Nice, but it’s only “new” until the 1st ride.

qwerty
    Free Member

fuselage

Excellent.

lunge

Do you want to ride it or look at it? If the former, buy a carbon super bike, if the latter buy the Klein.

tomhoward

I’d buy that, but as art, not as a bike.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

1990s mountain bikes, however fondly we remember them, suck to actually ride, compared to modern standards. Discuss.

<ducks>

P-Jay
    Free Member

No, not for me, £5k is too much for nostalgia, how many times do you reckon you could ride it before it just becomes another old Klein.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Whooosh!

Gorgeous bike!

I’d stick it on the wall, but that’s sacrilege when it really should be ridden..hard. But then you’d ruin it.

I really miss my Attitude (green/white/pink) but would I love it now?

Yes, yes I think I would.

jekkyl

someone please take a moment to summarise why that frame/bike is so special? Tar..

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The money’s not right for it to be ridden. 3 figures and I’d buy it to ride. If I did bike art and I wanted to splurge I don’t think I’d see anything more worthy of the money than this and I’d buy it. Oh yes, I’d buy it and smuggle it into the bedroom I think.

onandon
    Free Member

Oh yes, I’d buy it and smuggle it into the bedroom I think.

What? Are you going to ream the seat tube you dirty boy.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

jekkyl, can I ask what age you are? If you’re between 32-40 you should understand.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not that klein

As others note you will both ruin it and it will ride like shit

P-Jay
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member

someone please take a moment to summarise why that frame/bike is so special? Tar..

Very desirable bike in the 90s they, were one of the first to use over-sized alu tubes to make their bikes much lighter and they were known for very outlandish paint schemes.

I think Trek bought them and slowly killed the brand.

It’s a bit like the Audi in this forum

http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=31588

I can’t find the exactly link but someone found a ‘new’ un registered Audi UR Quattro, in it’s day it was innovative, expensive and very desirable – by todays standards it’s old fashioned and modern cars of it’s type are better in every measurable way.

Someone bought it for £50k or so, if they actually use it much it’ll just become another UR Quattro and worth maybe £20k but it’ll never be used – it’s valuable because it’s rare, not because of it’s tangible value.

sofabear
    Free Member

glasgowdan – Member

jekkyl, can I ask what age you are? If you’re between 32-40 you should understand.

I’m 38 and don’t understand. Saying that, I only really got into cycling 6/7 years ago.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

sofa if you were into biking at 14 when this came out you’d probably never forget it! It’s funny, bikes we lusted after as kids are ALWAYS going to be special to use through our lives. If I see a Marin Bear Valley or a Diamond Back DBR response (I wish) I want it, no matter the logic! Beauty and a value far greater than the sum of it’s parts.

amedias
    Free Member

There was more to it than just paint and fat tubes, some things that Kleins* had in the 80s/90/s

> Massively oversized, thinwall and butted Alu tubing
    > Internal cable routing
    > Pressfit Bottom brackets
    > Integrated Headsets with oversized steerers

There was also the fact that they rode differently to most other things out there at the time, as well as being very light and very bold visually in an era where most bikes were skinny steel with 1 inch threaded headsets and quill stems.

As with most things like this they divide opinion, and as with most things that divide opinion both sides have valid points 😉

*yes there were some others too that did some of these things, and earlier, but the only guys really doing them all, and successfully, and with flair were Klein.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nice, but it’s only “new” until the 1st ride.

Someone bought it for £50k or so, if they actually use it much it’ll just become another UR Quattro and worth maybe £20k but it’ll never be used

Whilst this sentiment is true, it’ll still depreciate slower than the £5k superbike / stone.

As for the audi, there was an ex rally barn find on ebay not so long ago, went for ~£10k. I was saving for a deposit at the time but it could very easily have been the best/worst thing I’ve ever bought.

sofabear
    Free Member

glasgowdan, amedias,

Thanks fellahs, an icon of it’s time. 🙂

Shame there isn’t a ‘like’ or ‘rep’ button on this forum.

ferrals
    Free Member

Those klein hard tails were gorgeous, the colour schemes were mint, however those klein mantras – not so much!

To be honest if I had £5k to spend on a whim on a retro bike that came up on ebay I’d probably already have my dream bike 🙂 I’d buy it and ride it – probably even turn up to some races with it for a laugh

molgrips
    Free Member

1990s mountain bikes, however fondly we remember them, suck to actually ride, compared to modern standards.

Agreed. I bought a bike to re-visit the type of riding I used to do 20 years ago, a fully rigid steel hardtail, only this time it’s a 29er and vastly better than my 90s bike ever was. Despite being heavier.

someone please take a moment to summarise why that frame/bike is so special?

Because many of us were teenagers in the early 90s, and when you’re a teenage boy you buy magazines and dream of being able to own the shiny things. It’s that lust that has been blown up into something profound by the passing decades. When really, it’s just a bike. It’s not art, in any way.

Edric64
    Free Member

They were nothing special, niche and very overpriced boutique bikes in their day so not worth it now unless you are bored off buying golf clubs and poncy cars

sq225917
    Free Member

It’s probably not NOS. More than likely just repainted. There’s loads of them about now that prices are on the up. Buy a shagged looking one, fill it, respray it, hey presto instant profit.

Edric64
    Free Member

Shipped in a box for the fuselage ??????????/ It`s a bicycle not a 747 does flowery bollox speak make it worth more ?

tomhoward

Shipped in a box for the fuselage ??????????/ It`s a bicycle not a 747 does flowery bollox speak make it worth more

Only if the second box arrives with the cockpit in it.

kerley
    Free Member

1990s mountain bikes, however fondly we remember them, suck to actually ride, compared to modern standards. Discuss.

Depends what you ride today. I ride rigid MTBs and can’t say they really feel any better to ride than my Cannondale M800 or Kona Cindercone I had in early 90’s.

molgrips
    Free Member

I ride rigid MTBs and can’t say they really feel any better to ride than my Cannondale M800 or Kona Cindercone I had in early 90’s.

My Salsa El Mariachi is vastly better than my 1996 Orange P7 was. Mostly down to geometry and wheel size.

40mpg

I spent some time rebuilding my 93 Explosif a couple of years back, mostly original parts. It looked amazing. One ride was enough to tell me that time has moved on, I was never going to enjoy being on it the way I do modern bikes. It was a thing of its time. I sold it, hopefully someone can appreciate it for more than just aesthetics (but I doubt it)

ampthill

I don’t really get the whole value beyond it function thing

Loads of better things to do with £5000

But the person who buys will have enough cash to have all the modern bikes they want

I don’t think I wanted one when they came out they just looked silly to me

joelowden

I was riding my mates Attitude race last week ; it’s not an experience i’m in any rush to repeat.
    I almost had to drag him of my Pyga to get it back ….

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I once bought a pretty mint very old SH Muddy Fox Interactive just because I so wanted one when they came out, it did ride like crap though so I sold it on to a collector for less than it was worth because he appreciated it & was going to keep it.
    Now if anyone want to give me silly money for a mint original Turner Burner then I’m open to offers 😉

choppersquad
    Free Member

Are you f’ing serious??!!
    £8.3k
    It’s an old mountain bike not an E Type Jag!

RustySpanner

My steel Rockhopper rides just fine, as good as any other hardtail I’ve ridden.
    Takes wide rubber, fits well, light, fun.
    S’got a slightly shorter stem now, risers too.
    Brakes apart, it’s a lovely bike.
    I’m going to singlespeed it and use it over winter.

The Orange Clockwork I had before that was an evil handling, ugly, overpriced, badly built mess.

Good bikes will always be good, no matter how old they are.

squealer
    Free Member

I own this:

And this

Guess which one gets the most use? Old bikes are great but compared to today’s bikes they’re a long way behind!

TheGingerOne

Shipped in a box for the fuselage ??????????/ It`s a bicycle not a 747 does flowery bollox speak make it worth more ?

FYI: Klein marketed their frames and forks as a ‘fuselage’ when they sold them originally, so it is not flowery bollox speak, well it is, but it isn’t 😉

RustySpanner

Actually, my previous post might just be a pile of old toss.

The Surly ECR I rode recently was a bit of a game changer.
    Not for touring, as I originally thought, but a Krampus will probably be my next MTB, when my Rock Lobster dies.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘5 grand to spend – Carbon high performance super bike or 24 year old hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.