Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • £5 for NOT using BT phone
  • highclimber
    Free Member

Anyone else been charged for NOT using their landline?

Looking at our bill this month and we’ve recieved a ‘one-off’ charge for NOT using our phone and for caller ID and 1571 (neither of which we require).

I am sick to death of BT but they’re a necessary evil!
    we’ve sent a terse email
    Rant over

Regards
    Anthony

Drac

Caller ID is an add on is it not, if you don’t need it cancel it.

highclimber
    Free Member

I am getting that impression, but it’s an add on that we didn’t ask for!

randomjeremy
    Free Member

highclimber any reason you can’t switch PSTN provider? Assuming you only use the phone line for ADSL usage?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i binned my landline this month, only reason i had it was for the t’internet. Switched to Vrigin so BT can rape me no more.

Drac

Oh and 1571 is free.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I’ll put you in touch with my man if you like, I think I pay £12/month inc vat for a landline no frills and can pay in cash, beer, whatever – I presume the line is still Openreach (it says so on the socket) but if it means not having to deal with BT..

Xylene
    Free Member

O2 have offered me landline for 7.50 internet for a 10 a month, which will save me about 8 quid, which is ok.

highclimber
    Free Member

Just spoke to them and they said it’s not 1571 the charge pertain to. the charges relate to the fact that when we were connected we weren’t charged the £130 connection fee under the condition we had to make 10 chargeable calls p/m. otherwise we get charged £5.15. We were never informed of this little nugget of information when we signed up!

my piss is boiling!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

This vaguely rings a bell that we got charged £7 a month for maybe 3 months for not using phone, I severly complained and got the money back and changed packages as we never use the phone, only have a landline for internet!

Xylene
    Free Member

I had better open up the stack of BT bills i have upstairs that I’ve never looked at and see if they are over charging me.

highclimber
    Free Member

simple matter of fact is they have waived a connection charge in return for 10 chargeable calls per month to which we never agreed to otherwise we’d be making those calls!!

Xylene
    Free Member

Customers who do not make enough calls with BT will be charged for BT Caller Display. Customers who are billed every three months must make at least six chargeable or inclusive calls within those three months, otherwise BT reserves the right to charge £8.10 a quarter. Customers who are billed monthly must make at least 2 chargeable or inclusive calls a month otherwise BT reserves the right to charge £2.70 a month. Free calls (for example to 0800 numbers, calls to the emergency services etc) do not count towards the minimum call commitment.

PePPeR

What Quirrell has posted up is outrageous! If you don’t make enough calls we are going to charge you with caller display?

Thank **** I am not with them!

ronjeremy
    Free Member

It’s all BS from BT (trust me on this) connection fee should be free, BT Openreach who maintain the lines and infrastructure are a completely separate entity and company to BT Retail, so lines should and will remain on the OpenReach network, few providers/resellers (as this is what BT Retail are) do take the lines of the network LLU’d (Local Loop Unbundling) this is to run a cheap broadband down the line, Virgin/AOL/Tiscali being the key players for this. BT Retail have recently put there prices up (30p on line rental per month, and 9% on call charges) just check your next bills. There are a whole host of other resellers/providers out there who can offer better deals and fixed pricing. In answer to the OP’s original question BT can charge this as it is contained in the small print on their contracts, but good luck trying to read through these. My advise is to leave them as soon as you can, my email is n profile if you want any other advice. Oh and dont get me started on rolling contracts…

David
    (Field Sales Manager for an independent telecoms advisory company)

project
    Free Member

Oh and its another 4.50 if you want to pay your bill in cash, but free to speak to someone in india, who you cant understand,

highclimber
    Free Member

It’s all BS from BT (trust me on this) connection fee should be free

exactly, and it was, but they failed to inform us that we needed to make 10 chargeable calls in leiu of this charge!

the call centre just informed me that we are not being charged for caller id or 1571 but for not making enough calls as agreed for them waiving the connection fee!!!!!!!!

ronjeremy
    Free Member

In that case mate just tell them you are leaving, BT are brilliant and hidden charges, had to run through a bill for a client today to find he was being charged twice for business line rental and when questioned they said oh sorry our mistake, have now got to go through his old bills to see how long this has been going on for, needless to say he is leaving them and I am just looking for the best package for his business

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘£5 for NOT using BT phone’ is closed to new replies.