Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 5-a-siders help me get match fit quick
  • andygreener

Not been playing due to a broken arm, not been able to do much else either some stationery bike stuff. What could I do to make it back to a but if fitness before I start playing properly. I thunk I’ll be wheezing around the pitch for a few weeks- any tips to help speed things up?

Smarty
    Free Member

Exercise helps 😛

theotherjonv

shuttle runs backed with bleep test type stuff.

5-a-side (proper 5 a side) is all about multiple fast sprints. You need a base fitness which stationary bike will help with but you need to be able to sprint, recover, sprint, recover, over and over for 2×7 mins.

If you’re talking about mates 5-a-side (60 mins, 34-all when the next group are lining up / next goal wins) then it’s all about sprints for the first ten minutes and then endurance.

(unless you play in goal like I did; in which case best preparation is to throw yourself onto concrete repeatedly and them have a mate smash balls at you from about 3 yards – aiming mainly at your nads and face)

Smarty
    Free Member

Right across from our house is a quiet lane that accesses the fields and I see this guy every day, about late 40s, not sure he’s all there, doing running on the spot and sprinting between 2 posts, star jumps, running backwards etc, he looks a proper knob! I had a chat with him one day while walking the dog and he said he was an ex-footballer (nobody famous) who gave up through injury but liked to keep fit without paying for the gym, so he goes for a walk, finds a quiet lane, spends 20 minutes running about and walks home, simples.
    Just getting out there and doing something is the key, I suppose. Try the local park or any open space.
    Me, I’m gonna make another cuppuchino and read the paper 😆

geoffj

Oxygen tent just off the pitch?

backhander
    Free Member

All interval training.
    As said shuttle runs, fartleks, hill reps.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘5-a-siders help me get match fit quick’ is closed to new replies.