• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by ndg.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 5-10 Freerider vs Freerider Vxi vs Teva Links
  • ndg
    Free Member

Having had the soles of my Five Ten Freeriders be eaten through over the course of a month by some Exotic pedals (Nano style jobs), I’m in the market for some new trail shoes and pedals!

I’m probably going to go for Saint pedals, but has anyone had old Freeriders and the new VXi version? Are they any better? And are they worth the extra £20? The other option is Teva Links – I’ve read that they’re not quite as grippy, but dry quicker, which would be a plus.

Ta!

wl
    Free Member

Just in case it helps…Those new VXi things have a flat area on the sole – supposed to grip fine on pedals, but I decided against them coz they’ll be crap when pushing/carrying up steep, wet, natural slopes (which is an issue for me, but might not be for you). I ended up going for Giro Jackets at £65 – nice and light, not quite as grippy as Five Tens but grippy enough (allegedly grippier than Tevas), crap in terms of keeping water out, but should dry quickly once wet. Weird sizing (unhelpfully they jump from 8.5 to 9.25). I’m reasonably happy, but part of me wishes I’d stuck with Impact Lows. Will be interesting to see if my Jacket’s Vibram soles hold out.

FOG

Oh dear, I have just put exactly those pedals on my bike which I ride with Sombrios so I shall have to see how they hold up. [just a couple of rides so far and no problems] I was all set to buy some Tevas but the guy in my LBS was putting me off them and pushing Five Tens and as they sold both I would think that was a genuine opinion rather than we don’t sell brand X so buy brand Y. Having said that my mate has a pair of Freeriders which are beginning to look tatty after only about 3 months.

Northwind

FWIW my freeriders have lasted a very long time on my nanos, doesn’t seem to be a troublesome combination. (they’ve outlasted my Impacts at least 2:1)

ndg
    Free Member

NW – are yours the thrupin or grub screw type?

It may be coincidental, but my Freeriders were well over a year old and in decent shape, started to get chewed up over the first couple of weeks, and absolutely destroyed after this weekend (big weekend though).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘5-10 Freerider vs Freerider Vxi vs Teva Links’ is closed to new replies.