Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 4X
  • peajay

Don’t know if it’s been covered yet, but just read on bbc news site that the pin has been pulled on 4x for next years world cup, shame as it was always a good crowd pleaser.
    PJ

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I read this over the weekend. I’m surprised but can’t say I’m bothered. Someone (IMHO) needs to come in and kick 4X up the ass to make it more WOW. Flippin huge jumps, multiple uber rocky lines, narrow sections that only allow one rider in at a time, bikini clad girls etc. In all honesty, I can’t see much difference in 4X from what grew out of the demise of dual, 10/11 or whatever years ago.

Diane
    Free Member

Scott Beaumont is trying to set up an alliance to sort something out for a new series next year (Working with UCI) I read.

colournoise

They need to persuade Red Bull to head up a new independent world 4X series. Could fit well alongside Red Bull’s FMX and Freeride events?

slainte ❓ rob

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think that is a shame. I think the format is much more interesting than BMX track racing. And being head-to-head on a small track, more thrilling and spectator/TV friendly than DH. As much as I enjoy XC-style riding, I think the XC races are dull and difficult to cover with TV, like a procession, and so far less interesting than team road racing.

I wonder if it’s probably just a money thing and it’s easier to drop TNKOTB than either the traditional XC or the blue riband DH event 🙁

peachos
    Free Member

didn’t gracia pull out of 4x because he was bored of the format & said it didn’t really challenge or appeal to him anymore?? i think he said that he would love to see a similar race format but on a much more technical trail that would fully utilise the modern med-long travel FS bike.

that, i would like to see, and a love the idea.

colournoise

Yeah, think the format needs to revise slightly with tracks being more truly MTBish and natural looking rather than just slightly lumpy BMX tracks. Having said that I think you would still need some of the fast berms and rollers for the passing opportunities.

Done properly head-to-head racing still has the potential to be the most exciting ‘TV’ format for MTB sport.

slainte ➡ rob

robsoctane
    Free Member

4X WChamps final this year: all that’s wrong with 4X.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘4X’ is closed to new replies.