Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 4oD alone in the wild
  • 1-shed
    Free Member

Just finished watching it tonight, harrowing but compelling viewing. He came across slightly ill equipped mentally although I would have been worse. How long could you last? Cheers 1 shed.

seosamh77
    Free Member

cheers I’ll have a watch at that 🙂

2 days I’d imagine! 😆

rkk01
    Free Member

Wasn’t sure if I enjoyed or not 😕

Scenery is stunning – especially for the kayaking sections and where he ended up (not a million miles from where I spent 6 weeks in 1986)

On the negative side – deeply flawed individual, IIRC.

1-shed
    Free Member

I don’t think the programme was enjoyable but I think it made me think. Which isn’t a bad thing?

trail_rat
    Free Member

And none of you think those flaws are why he got on telly ? I’d make a fair go at it I’d hope. but be assured it would be insanely boring to watch.

Then there’s the editing team. Very very few people come out of reality TV as a true portrait of themselves and rarely do they look good.

beamers

Scenery is stunning – especially for the kayaking sections and where he ended up (not a million miles from where I spent 6 weeks in 1986)

UK / Canadian Cadet exchange at Cadet Camp Whitehorse by any chance? I was there in 1989.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Just binge watched these…

To be honest, I was hoping for some nice shots of scenery and a cheerful bloke fishing and eating berries. It wasn’t that. 🙂

I know nothing about bushcraft but my thoughts:

1) If there was enough to live on there, wouldn’t people have always lived there?

2) If he’d been allowed to shoot and eat the large animals he’d have been fine…

3) …until winter when he’d have died.

4) Fishing with a rod? Surely a net across the river would be better?

5) Anyone know why the snares failed? If snares over a rabbit path don’t work, when do they work?

piemonster

1) If there was enough to live on there, wouldn’t people have always lived there?

If the ‘factual’ book I’m reading about Alaska in the late 70s is anything to go by people do live in places like that. Although these seem to be shooting large mammals.

km79
    Free Member

It’s about numbers. If you are solo then you are going to find it difficult to get enough calories. The calories burnt getting the food is usually more than the calories you get back from the food. If you increase the amount of people then then the calories burnt getting the food is spread out more therefore enough food to go around.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Had a bit more time to reflect on it.

Turns out there’s a lodge/hotel on the lake. So he will, from time to time have seen people, perhaps from a distance. Maybe that made it harder, maybe it made it easier, but it certainly made it different.

I guess the presence of a lodge reduced the number of available fish.

But the more I think about it the more the fact he was hamstrung by the fact that all be best eating animals were protected by law. I can’t help but think the fact he was fishing with a rod was also dictated by legislation, surely a net would be better, but I bet it’s illegal.

nickc

I don’t think, from memory, that he seemed particularly mentally well set up for what he was attempting to do TBH.

outofbreath
    Free Member

That seems to be a typical view, but I’d guess the editors biased their edits towards him being tearful to increase drama and viewers… Or maybe they didn’t, who knows.

nickc

indeed, from their POV it makes great telly either way. He manages it, and we get to see Urban man transform into Grizzly Adams, find himself and reveal deep and meaningful aspects of modern life, or he fails, and reveals deep and meaningful aspects of modern life…

IIRC he ends up in a motel bedroom floor eating a block of cheese…I’ve no idea what was going on inside his head, but I’m guessing it wasn’t roses and my little pony…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘4oD alone in the wild’ is closed to new replies.