Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)
  • £49.99 for a deore rear mech………………
  • ton

today, woodrupp cyles tried to sell me a deore rear mech for £49.99.
    i questioned this, asking if they had labeled it up wrong.
    i was told no, that is the new price.
    when i told them crc were doing them at £21.99, they said i was wrong.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24088

now i am not averse to spending money, but when someonme wants to blatantly rip me off…………….

so i told him i wanted a refund……..hey presto, the new price is £40.
    so i wanted it to finnish a build today, so i bought it.
    just one thing to say to WOODRUPPS in leeds and all other little bike shops that want us to use them to help them keep open.

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE **** COFFEE……….. 8)

cookeaa

CRC have a high volume/relatively low overhead business model, I’m sure the fella was pulling a bit of a fast one, but don’t expect CRC prices in your LBS, they’d simply be cutting their own throats for your one measly sale…

DezB
    Free Member

Jeez, £49.99. I'm going to Froogle that to see if anyone can match it online!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BigDummy
    Free Member

so i wanted it to finnish a build today, so i bought it.

If you'd used CRC you'd have had to wait almost 24 hours to get the mech. 🙂

ton

BigDummy

riding it tonight tho innit………… 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

In their defence – the RRP on CRC is 49.99 and only in their sale its £21.99 – although online prices vary from £22 to £40 on google shopping. I would think that instead of not getting a sale they made a lower profit by offering it to you for £40. Perhaps if they had said you can have it for £40 initially as you tried to price match it on CRC you would be saying positive things? I know if you build up a relation with your LBS and they know you they are more likely to discount to you for regular buisness.

If they priced it up on the box as £49.99 they they are not ripping you off, your just paying expensive shop prices! Also depends on wether its new stock or old stock prob like CRC or even CRC being cheap OEM stuff?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

so i wanted it to finnish a build today

What have people from Finland got to do with building your bike?

😉

Handsomedog
    Free Member

That is the new catalogue price. Ian in Devereux Cycles in Ashton on Mersey showed me in the catalogue. Being that it made me go slightly green he refused to sell it me at that price and instead sold it to at cost (£27).
    Top bloke by the way, can't recommend enough for a small cycle shop.

He does always say that you can buy it cheaper from CRC than he can get it at trade.

DezB
    Free Member

£49.99 is RRP as foxyrider says. had to go to page 4 on Froogle to match it. Discountbicycles (haha! reduced from £59.99 apparently!!)

mefty
    Free Member

What model did you buy, that CRC one is an old one, the newer models on CRC are more expensive albeit still a lot less than RRP.

ton

forgot to add, it was my lad who went in for it.
    i think they were trying it on to be honest.
    young kid, no idea how much it would be…..
    i have bought clothing, tyres, lights, shoes and various spare from them for 10 yrs now.
    always been happy with them, they even faced and tapped my bb last week.
    1st time my son has been in and this happens. trying to full a flanker i think………..

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Looks like I switched to singlespeed at the right time.

😉

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Are you telling me there are actual shops you can go in to buy this stuff? Good lord whatever next

Dobbo

I got an XT from Merlin a few days back for £40. You not got another bike you could have for a day?
    Merlin Rear Mech

tinsy
    Free Member

Hve you not got about 80 bikes you could have knicked one off while the CRC one turned up?

sofatester
    Free Member

Are you telling me there are actual shops you can go in to buy this stuff? Good lord whatever next

😆

ton

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Drac

forgot to add, it was my lad who went in for it.

Oooh he's been trying it on with us.

antigee

yep only yesterday told the little old lady in post office across the road to put her pint of milk where the sun don't shine…if i wait until tesco deliver on friday i can get 2 litres for the price she wanted

nickc

I don't see what the issue here is really. £50 for what in the real world (ie outside of this forum where nothing counts unless it's XO or XTR) is a pretty high end mech* that is going to last a couple of years at least isn't that bad.

* most bikes sold in this country have mechs and shifters made from plate steel and aluminium, makes Deore look like professional kit.

hora
    Free Member

RRP is £50 for a Deore mech? No offence but if I lost my job I'd have to stop riding if this is the case.

I dont want to see anyone out of a job (bikeshops etc) but I dont believe in that pricing.

Riding a bike really is becoming a richmans sport. Its ridiculous. Prices are going up on everything associated and I dont beleive £80 shorts offer significant advantages for example.

Im sure there will be people complaining its not true on here but I bet average margins in bikeshops arent 20%. I bet they are higher.

GaryLake
    Free Member

hora, re-read your CRC link, they list RRP as £49.99 in the small print underneath the "SALE" price.

What world do we live in where selling at RRP is now ripping someone off!!! 🙄

My verdict on this thread is a mixture of troll content and bike prices in going up shocker!

MrSmith
    Free Member

RRP is £50 for a Deore mech? No offence but if I lost my job I'd have to stop riding if this is the case.

no you wouldn't. you would just have to learn to ride the same bike for longer than a couple of months instead of changing it for another and curb your desire for the next must-have shiny thing you see on a MTB website

ton

My verdict on this thread is a mixture of troll content and bike prices in going up shocker!

cutting, very very cutting………….. 😥

hora
    Free Member

RRP doesnt mean the distributor/manufacturer gets 100% of that price. Its a recommended retailer price. I used to work in retail- I know how it works.

grumm
    Free Member

Riding a bike really is becoming a richmans sport. Its ridiculous.

My gf quite happily goes out biking on her £200 Schwinn with Alivio mechs and J1 forks – it's only a rich man's sport if you believe what you read in magazines/on here.

Prices are going up on everything associated and I dont beleive £80 shorts offer significant advantages for example.

Don't buy them then. I would never spend £80 on shorts either.

hora
    Free Member

My gf quite happily goes out biking on her £200 Schwinn with Alivio mechs and J1 forks – it's only a rich man's sport if you believe what you read in magazines/on here.

Totally agree but kit wears out with the British slop.

Don't buy them then. I would never spend £80 on shorts either.

Agree there as well. I dont and wont. The only thing I buy new are wear and tear (bike) items. I couldnt afford to ride if I bought all my kit in bikeshops.

mtbfix

Ride it sensibly. Keep it correctly adjusted. Clean and lube regularly. Then your Deore mech will last ages. £21.99 is below cost for any trader buying through 'official' channels in the UK.

tinsy
    Free Member

My neighbour asked me to help him ressurect a very nice Orange P7, too nice to buy utter crap for and we have just hit £160 as it needed a new drivetrain, and a few other bits and bobs, bike is well worth spending that ammount on, but trying to find him decent kit for not much is difficult, and then you can get really massive bargains like a Deore chainset for £50 or and FSA one with external BB for £40.

The the ripoff things seem to be jocky wheels at £8 for cheapo ones, cheapo 9 speed cassette at £20, tyres seem a stupid price too at up to £35 a pop.

I think drivetrain stuff has got too expensive now, I can only afford to run deore level myself these days, its £50 just for entry level chain cassette and middle ring.

takisawa2

My local bike shop wanted nearly £70 for an XT mech a few years ago, CRC price was about £32 at the time. MRP was about £49. Asked them why & they grunted & shrugged. I suggested they buy from CRC, ad a bit then sell on. This was met with several more grunts & two shrug's.

They later told a work colleague the reason an XT cassette was £75 was due to a steel shortage in China, & that it had been on News at Ten.

hora
    Free Member

I remember buying my Chris King wheels years ago from a place in Scotland and a few competitors (bikeshops) complained to the distributor about this shops pricing and he told me off the record he'd been told in no uncertain terms to raise his prices or have no more stuff from them.

PJM1974
    Free Member

£49.99 is the guide price for a Deore mech. Sure, it's bloody expensive but then that's Shimano for you.

Solution? Switch to SRAM, or buy last season's model from Merlin or CRC for £25 less.

markd
    Free Member

So you wanted a mech today to finish a build. You therefore wanted one right away.

You then want a shop who has staff to pay, rent to pay, insurance to pay, electricity to pay, water and sewerge rates to pay, have varied and hopefully interesting stock and be able to answer questions you may ask of them to sell a margin generating item for the same price or near to the same price as CRC (or other web retailers) who admittedly have all these bills and huge computer resources to finance BUT enormous buying power and the ability to sell items at BELOW normal trade levels.

Shops have a trade price – this covers the item itself. The gap between retail and trade is the bit that allows people to pay all the bills and if they are lucky and good hopefully walk home at night knowing they have made a profit rather than just supply goods to people who want everything NOW for nothing.

The big retailers do a great job of bringing goods to the market for not much money to be fair. Perhaps you want an industry of just web retailers? Is it all about price? Do you always want to wait for a postie?

Begrudging a man a living from a shop he has toiled to build – and making him come close to a price he cannot compete with is effectively the same as your employer asking you to work for free for a day cause he knows with a bit of digging he can save your wage by employing someone else. Not fair really.

Recently i have been asked to discount labour bills in the shop. I ask them if they were to be asked to work for less money would they? Invariably the answer is no.

The same can be said of goods. Should a retailer just have to give away margin on a good and service that is not the same? Not really.

I find by treating people fairly, generating relationships and being honest with people then things kind of work out. If people come in quoting prices off the web then its usually a case of asking them if they can 'try the shoes on through the web' or 'check compatibility of x with y' on a computer screen.

If you know what you need and its purely a price thing then fine – the www is for you.

Incoherent rambling mode off! Apologies for lack of synthesis and trailling off the point. Just thought an open slagging of Woodrups (who i dont know) is a bit unfair.

hora
    Free Member

markd CRC dont have a magical web portal that is 'cheap'.

They have to advertise a great deal to create traffic to their site. How many local bikeshops have to do that?
    Their website needs employees to amend/add descriptions, maintain/fix bugs, staff to deal with orders, pick, customer service to deal with complaints, attempted card fraud, warehouse staff, heating, lighting, rates, insurance, VAT, HR, dedicated Buyers and account managers. You name it.
    Infact their costs are probably HIGHER than a small chain of bikeshops in part due to them having to hold a great deal MORE stock no?

Why does everyone seem to think CRC has a magical free internet portal and thus can give cheaper prices?! Its hardwork and time and alot of investment and sweat. No I dont work for them nor have I ever.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"Then your Deore mech will last ages"

Assuming you don't smash it into something, requiring a new mech and hanger.

igm

ton ought to get frequent flyer discount though – in fact wouldn't you be better to buy in bulk direct from the importer

jonathan
    Free Member

What Hora said before he edited his post:

Cost price on King bottom brackets is £50 isnt it? It was revealed on here.

Sounds about right – King stuff has always had a big markup from trade to RRP. It's low volume stuff, the profit's got to be made somewhere if there's fewer sales for it to come from.

foxyrider
    Free Member

markd CRC dont have a magical web portal that is 'cheap'.

I think the main thing is that they can buy large amounts of stock or large amounts of OEM stuff off bike manufacturers and therefore can sell it cheaper and more of it – i.e. tesco's vs little corner shop around the corner – they both have reasonable overheads!

ton

also i would like to add, the cheeky bastwads gave him the £10 in a credit note……..
    shocking service…….i will not be frequenting them again.

cookeaa

Well lets say they sell it at £50 and bought it in from Madison at £27 (as suggested above) then the £23 mark up has to go towards various overheads, Leccy, tools, rent, etc, do you really think they make much profit? I’d be surprised if they made a fiver on the final £40 price they charged you…

CRC may be killing the LBS, but we all contribute by not buying from our local shop, in much the same way that, Amazon put the boot into book and music shops, someone always has to loose out…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘£49.99 for a deore rear mech………………’ is closed to new replies.