Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 456 with 4 inch fork?
  • sambob
    Free Member

just wondering how it handled, i know what the name means, just wondering. thinking i might get a frame, then swap over everything onto it from my merida, and just get new forks when i can afford it. everything is pretty new, late october i think. anyone else done something like this?

cp

I've done exactly that – put some maz mx comps 100mm on my 456 to begin with. Handling is best described as 'quick'! You get used to it though. I think the sweetspot is 120mm, which is a good do it all length IMO. Not too surprising really!!!

from the maz I went on to fox talas, which stayed pretty much at 120mm except for mega steep d/hill stuff, when they got turned to 140mm. Rarely used 100 except mega steep ups..

soo, yes, doable (I ran 100mm for prob. 2 years…), but better with 120.

sambob
    Free Member

thanks. I wouldn't keep it at 100, probably go between 120 and 140, but this really is on a budget, so forks would almost definitely be second hand, hopefully U-turn or TALAS. Ive got Suntours on my merida, which are probably cr@p, but i dont know any better, What's the head angle with 100mm forks on?

sambob
    Free Member

anyine else? anyone at all?

jonb
    Free Member

Yep, I did exactly what you are planning. Was absolutely fine but I was coming from a racy xc bike so the quick handling was fine. My only suggestion would be to use a few more spacers or stem or risers to raise the hight of the bars to make it feel right.

ROde mine like that for 2 years. I was intending to change in a few months but it felt more than fine so I stuck with it till the forks died.

Go for it.

knottie8
    Free Member

firstly forget fork travel and talk axle to crown height and sag because its that that sets the head angle not how far the forks move.

mralexbenn
    Free Member

I find that 120mm is spot on for general riding and I too only wind out to 140mm for big stuff. Running Pikes on mine

tazzymtb

mate runs his with 100mm forks on and loves it. having said that I'm booked in to take his forks apart and get them to 120mm for him to see if that is the sweet spot so from comments on here it looks like it could be a winner 😀

convert

My ti456 has 110-140 pikes – In the snow I used them at the lower as it was struggling to handle it at 140mm. I have used it a few times since at this shorter length and think I prefer it on the flatter twisty stuff where quick handling is a bonus. It just feels a bit more rugged XC rather than hardcore hardtail.

takisawa2

Summer Season should be ok, but I reckon a std 456 would be a bit twitchy. Short-term should be ok.

saladdodger
    Free Member

knottie8 – Member
    firstly forget fork travel and talk axle to crown height and sag because its that that sets the head angle not how far the forks move.

Good point because I think Maz forks are long compared to Fox and RS for the same travel

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I swapped the 100mm Rebas from my old Inbred onto the 456 and have been meaning to lengthen them to 120mm for ages, but never got round to it… It feels great, but then I suspect it'll be even better at 120mm. I run what is for me, a short stem – 70mm – and it can feel a touch quick at times, but it really does work well. You certainly won't have a bad bike for doing it!

flyingfox
    Free Member

Not twitchy at all! I leave mine at 100 most of the time. I find it's a mess at 130+ but everyone's different – ride it.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

tazzy- please fit me into your busy fettling schedule!

also what are you thinking on the revs?

sambob
    Free Member

cheers for all the help. im used to a fairly steep head angled bike at 70. i get what your saying knottie, need to try one really. anyone peaks based got one at 100 i could have a go on? i think i will probably be an 18 and almost 6 foot, means i can still have a bit of growing room and adjustable with different stem/ layback post if needed.

tazzymtb

hi pop

I'll probably keep the REV's for now and wait for something barginalicious to appear. Have you seen the fox 140's on on-one?

should be able to build for you on sunday after riding, otherwise it'll have to be after the SSEC10 piss-up,race, eventthingymebob and before the E6

poppa
    Free Member

The 456 has the same head angle as the standard inbred for a given fork length, as far as I know. It should be fine with a 4" fork, the clue is in the name! 😉

Picto
    Free Member

Mine was fine with a Marzocchi MX Pro Sl. 105 mm of travel. Swapped it for Revelation when I had the money and one came up on this site.

Was happy with both forks on the bike. I prefer the revelation, more to do with the suspension feel than the length of the fork though.

Do it.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

tazz
    see you sunday!

pop

petestuart
    Free Member

Slight thread resurrection, sorry – Im just planning a similar thing.

Considering a change from std inbred (the 80-100mm DN6 white one) to 456 – with 100mm forks will it be exactly like the inbred or a bit more sit up, rather than head down bum up on the inbred? Not sure on the geometry of the old inbred – just finding it a bit too xc these days… Long and low.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i found the 100mm to be ok for climbing but too steep for hacking around the woods jumping off things
    130-140mm is where it is at its best imo

gonetothehills
    Free Member

petestuart – I *still* haven't got round to extending my Reba SLs to 120mm – though I have printed off the guide on how to do it, so at least there's some progress… 🙂

The 456 works really nicely at 4" – though I do have a feeling that 120mm will be even better. It certainly doesn't ruin the bike, and I was the same as you in having come from a regular Inbred with those forks. The latest 456 frames are really nicely finished and a hoot to ride, to boot.

andy7t2
    Free Member

running mine on 100 with 50 mm stem and love it thought about getting bigger forks but having too much fun at the mo to worry about it

petestuart
    Free Member

I guess I wonder if the front will just as low on the 456 as it is on the original inbred – is it simply the running of longer forks that give it a more relaxed trail/less over the bars xc feel…?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘456 with 4 inch fork?’ is closed to new replies.