• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ART.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 456 with 140 Pikes – experiences ?
  • trailmonkey

Anyone running this set up ? If so, how relaxed does it feel and how does it climb ? I’m a bit concerned that it might need a 6 inch fork to get the right angle at the front for confident steep descending.

I know someone that mothballed a 456 because it didn’t feel right with 130 forks compared to how the standard mongbred felt with 130’s. Will 140’s make that much of a difference ?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’m a bit concerned that it might need a 6 inch fork to get the right angle at the front for confident steep descending.

Nah, you just need the right technique.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve got a Ti456 with this set up and I’m forever smoking body armoured trail warriors on it. Sometimes I wind them all the way down to 115 or lock them out just for the added satisfaction of knowing I’m truly Awesome!!!

Edit: If someone fancies giving me some float 36’s to see if I can go to stratospheric levels of Awesome that’d be nice.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trailmonkey

excellent advice. i’ll become a riding god, then just do everything on a road bike.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I do. I find it a bit of a slog uphill. It’s heavy and you need to get your arse on the front of the saddle cos the fork’s tall.

It is, however, proper boom gnarly on the way back down

JonR
    Free Member

I had a 456 summer season with 140 Pikes and loathed it, I felt like Peter Fonda in Easy rider my friont wheel stuck out so much. I reckon the normal 456 would probably be a lot better though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I had a 456 summer season with 140 Pikes and loathed it

Bloody hell Jon, its cos you used it with the wrong length forks.

ART

I’ve got pikes on my 456. Er it’s fine – goes up, goes down. If it’s a bit steep up I wind them in a bit, if it’s steep down I wind them right out. In my experience my limitations always kick in long before that of my equipment. 😉 Pikes on a summer season makes for slacktastic descending but (arguably) haul arse horrible climbing. HTHs

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘456 with 140 Pikes – experiences ?’ is closed to new replies.