Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 456-Inbred frames
  • faint
    Free Member

How do I tell the difference ?
    Thought I heard something about seatstay- top tube alignment at seattube but cannot remember which way round.
    thanks

brant
    Free Member

The 456 has a wishbone tube that’s the same size as the top tube. The Inbred has a smaller wishbone tube (though the top tube is actually the same diameter now).

CheesybeanZ

inbred

faint
    Free Member

thanks.
    feel a right numpty now.
    bought a 456 couple of years ago and it
    seems I’ve been riding an inbred.
    Always assumed that On-One would have sent the correct item.

hisdog
    Free Member

If you bought it from On-One, is there not a 456 sticker on it?

It seems doubtful, even for them, that they’d sticker-up the wrong frames.

faint
    Free Member

it has an “inbred” sticker on it, but in my defense
    it was in the early days when it was called an “inbred 456”

hisdog
    Free Member

Ah well, have you enjoyed riding it? That’s the main thing.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

My 456 has an “inbred” sticker on it, definitely a 456 though.

pickle
    Free Member

I think/thought the first lot of 456’s were just stickered up with inbred decals?

Mine was

hisdog
    Free Member

My first one was an early one, and it had the Inbred decals but also a 456 sticker at the back end of the top tube.

What colour is it?

faint
    Free Member

dark blue.
    have there been many changes over the years, as I’m trying
    to convince myself (from memory) that my seatstay and top tube
    meet in-line like cheasybeanz but i’m sure it looks more like the inbred in the picture.
    better dig the tape measure out tonight.

brant
    Free Member

thanks.
    feel a right numpty now.
    bought a 456 couple of years ago and it
    seems I’ve been riding an inbred.
    Always assumed that On-One would have sent the correct item.

if it transpires we’ve done that, get in touch with me, send it back and we’ll send you a new one of the correct type.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Mines is dark blue too. The top tube is a larger diameter than on the inbred I had before it and the wishbone meets the seat tube in line with the top tube unlike the inbred.

faint
    Free Member

thanks brant
    I’ve printed out the geometry and measure it up,
    have there been any changes over the years ?

brant
    Free Member

The geometry of the current 456 on the website is nonsense. It always was, and got worse when I left.

Send me a picture of the seat tube area, and I’ll tell you. But it’s very easy to spot. As has been said – the 456 has a wishbone that really “runs into” the top tube with a straight weld line on the join of the top tube and wishbone.

The inbred doesn’t – it has more a wishbone welded to the back of the seat tube.

simon1975

Spot the difference:

The 456 is the brown one.

faint
    Free Member

thanks simon that looks like a better comparison.
    not sure if cheesybeanz photo is an illusion or something
    to do with frame size

simon1975

Yes the grey one in Cheezy’s pic is a very small frame! And I think that’s the Summer Season version with the slacker head angle. And massive fork for some reason…

tony_m
    Free Member

Hopefully this might make things a bit clearer. Then again, maybe it won’t… 😕

Exhibit A: the wishbone on my 1st Gen 456 in “That Blue” (16″ frame) – joins the seat-tube level with the top-tube (almost like a continuation of it)

Exhibit B: the wishbone on my old non-slidy “standard” Inbred (also 16″ frame) – joins the seat-tube above the top-tube

Shackleton

I could be wrong but if it is dark blue (like mine that I bought new 3 years ago) then I think it can only be a 456 as I don’t think the inbred ever came in that colour.

From memory 456s went pale “blue/pale green” then “fire engine red” then “dark blue” then the medley of goppingly awful colours that seem to have appeared recently.

[EDIT] does it look like this? Mine does and I’m pretty certain that mine is a 456!

takisawa2

My second gen std Inbred was like the white one above FWIW.

CheesybeanZ

And massive fork for some reason…

err it’s a 456 and thats a 140mm revalation so hardley massive 😕

Duffer
    Free Member

And massive fork for some reason…

err it’s a 456 and thats a 140mm revalation so hardley massive

But it’s a 456 Summer Season… It was conceived to give a slack head angle without having to use a long fork. If i recall correctly, a standard 456 with a 140mm fork gives a HA of around 67 degrees. A 456SS with a 100mm fork gives a HA also about 67 degrees.

Brant – As a man who knows a thing or two about the 456, can you confirm this to be the case? It’s something that i read a long time ago. Since then (and since you moved away from On-One) they have been sold and ridden primarily with 140mm forks, which somewhat defeats the object, surely? It seems that the majority of bike riders/builders simply assume that a bike with a slack HA needs to have a long fork installed on it.

hisdog
    Free Member

Duffer – calm down dear, it’s just a bike.

And maybe he likes it the way it is?

brant
    Free Member

The Summer Season was indeed based around a concept of “let’s make a short travel bike that handles like a bike with a longer fork, but without a high BB or too much suspension squish”.

It was a very quick rework of the 456. The 456 being a very quick rework of the inbred. Neither of them had too much thought applied but worked well.

The Summer Season literally was “make that, but with a 2deg slacker head tube and a PG down tube”.

hisdog is correct though – It is just a bike and we’ve fitted long and short forks to them. If you look at what I did “after” the summer season, you can see the lineage to the Blue Pig, etc…

Duffer
    Free Member

Duffer – calm down dear, it’s just a bike.

And maybe he likes it the way it is?

Erm… I’m not too sure what you’re getting at here… I’m not getting heated with anyone, just making the point that i agree with Simon1975.

I’m a big advocate of riding whatever you enjoy riding. That’s why i ride a standard 456 with a 100mm fork. It’s not how it was designed, but who cares?

Brant – Thanks for clearing that up.

CheesybeanZ

MrsB bought her 456 SS as a complete bike which came with the 140mm fork , it’s a 14″ frame so looks distorted in the pic . on the first fork srvice she had the travel lowered to 125mm mainly because it was a bit of a pig on climbs . she felt it rode better all-round at 120mm .

HTH

simon1975

Hisdog +1

Just ride!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I reckon CheesybeanZ 456 looks ace, I bet it’s loads of fun too.

faint
    Free Member

happy now, checked mine and it is a 456 just stickered as an inbred.
    Now have to decide which frame has to go 456 or roadrat.
    thanks for all the input

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘456-Inbred frames’ is closed to new replies.