• This topic has 27 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 456 frame size – 16" or 18" for a 6' lass?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

My gf currently rides a 19.5″ trek ‘travesty’. It’s horrendous, she’s over stretched and at risk of injury via the top tube. Some muppet at Evans is responsible 😡

Do you think a 16″ would be too small? She’s got relatively long legs, and shorter reach, so I thought a 16″ frame with long seat tube might be best. Unfortunately not going to have time to test ride one first.

Cheers

M

wwaswas

measure her existing frame, decide what you need changed in terms of height/reach and compare with 456 sizing?

bear in mind that 456’s woudl probably be run with a much shorter stem than her trek.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m 6ft, and ride an 18″ frame. Pretty sure there’s less than 2″ of post (above the minimum line) in the frame.

Generaly, womens frames are; lighter, slightly shorter, flexier as they’re lighter, slightly shorter torso and less strength.

456 is a good frame but heavy, very long and stiff, must be a better option?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yep, do it from measurements, it’s the best way.

FWIW I’m a leggy 6′ and liked my 20″.

wwaswas

I’m 6’1″ and rode a medium steel 456 and also have a medium inbred plus a medium 456 carbon.

my 2p is that a medium would probably be ok with a non-layback post plus a shortish stem.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Thanks. Hadn’t appreciated the 456 was particularly long – definitely not a good thing! Will maybe consider a standard inbred or similar.
    Cheers

wwaswas

inbred is pretty much the same size I think?

just slightly less beefy for shorter forks.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Thanks. Hadn’t appreciated the 456 was particularly long – definitely not a good thing! Will maybe consider a standard inbred or similar.

i think the inbred has the same ett for a given fork length. the 456 will appear shorter due to longer forks.

HTH

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 inbred and 456 are same lengths

she’ll be better on a 16 IMO. I’m 5’11” and I’ve got a 16 456 and have run a 18s in the past (456 and inbred). Not much in it but the smaller frame is more nimble and would suit your lass.

456 is burly. Unless she is a gnarly dudette then a std inbred would be lighter and enough.

stumpy01

I also thought the 456 & Inbred had pretty much the same geometry.

I’m 5’6 with 30″ inside leg & use a heap of seat tube on my 16″ Inbred.
    I’d have thought someone 6′ tall who you describe as leggy would be too tall for a 16″ Inbred.

Perhaps 18″ with a short stem would be the way to go?

lucien

Am just under 6″ and ride an 18′ 456 with a 10cm stem – inside leg is 32cms, so a 400mm seat post is close to it’s tide mark – it’s a high and stretched riding position, the way I like it for the riding I do on that bike.

cooie

My wife is 5’9″ and has a 16″ std inbred and I would say she is right on the limit for that size. I would say 18″ for 6′.

yunki
    Free Member

Yeah.. I deffo wouldn’t put a six footer on a sixteen inch 456 frame.. not unless they have some sort of crazysuper wierd arm/leg/torso ratio..

I’m 5’8 and have a lot of seatpost sticking out..

nickf
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” with short (29″) legs and an 18″ 456 is perfect. It’s about a 70mm stem.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’m 5’11” and ride an 18″ 456.

have ridden 16s and they are just a bit too small. someone on here might be able to give you a test ride.

somthing canadian might have a shorter toptube.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bez on here is 6′ 4″ and rides a 16″ so maybe she should go 14″?

wwaswas

he does use a 600mm seatpost though.

stumpy01

wwaswas – Member
    he does use a 600mm seatpost though.

and a 150mm stem?? 😉

avdave2

she’s over stretched and at risk of injury via the top tube.

Typical bloke only thinking of himself!

neilnevill
    Free Member

where are you/is she? Can you find someone with a 456 that she can try? If you/she is south london then email me if she wants to try out a small (I’m 5.11, inside leg is 31, sat on both a small and medium and could have got either to work I think, but went for the small with a longer stem and post)

andyl
    Free Member

I also doubt a 456 or inbred is the best frame for her.

As said, they are all very long top tubes. The exception is the 14″ really which does drop a bit and is perfect for smaller ladies.

I would be thinking Cotic Soul, Rock Lobster (Merlin) etc in 18/19″ (whatever they come in) or if you are really set on a 456/inbred then the 18″ with an inline seat post and short stem of 50-60mm.

garage-dweller

I’d suggest the 16 assuming she’s typically lady proportioned (ie shorter torso / longer legs than a 6′ bloke).

I ride an 18″ and am 5’10, male and very short legged / long bodied, like to be stretched out (years of road riding before I converted) and the 18″ fits just right with minimal layback post and a 90mm stem and I run a stiffly sprung 5.5″ fork so that lifts the front to about its highest point/shortest top tube.

Or you could try an 18″ with a very short stem (30-40mm) and an inline post if she’s a bit less leggy (no offence intended).

garage-dweller

Re Andyl’s post – my sister has a Merlin (Malt 1 or 2) and that fits her great (shorter top tube). Don’t know if they still do them?

andyl
    Free Member

I am 5’9 have a 15″ Malt 2 and a 16″ carbon 456.

The Malt frames have high BBs so a 15″ is more like a normal 16″.

I moved to a 456 as I was too cramped on the Malt with a layback post with seat all the way back and a 90mm stem.

I now run an inline post an 70mm stem on the 456 and it is perfect.

Given the choice I prefer long TT and short stem for more direct steering but I do have a typical long male torso. She will need a long seat post on a 16″ 456 as I am guessing she will have at least 34″ legs if not a couple of inches longer?

nodrog2
    Free Member

My girlfriend rides a 16″ inbred with a long seatpost, she is 5ft 10″. Right on the limit I reckon. I would go 18″ for a 6 footer.

lord
    Free Member

mowgli if your near lancashire your welcome to have a go on my inbred 16″
    (bike)

Olly
    Free Member

im 6’5″ and ride an 18″ 456 no problems.

my trance (“marathon” bike) is a 21.5″.

also, girlies tend to have shorter bodies in ratio to thier leggies than blokes i seem to recall, so unless its a lady specific frame, you want to choose one that’s “too small in the leg” really.

Exeter if you want to try an 18″ 456 summer season, a 20″ inbred, or a 16″ inbred 😉

br
    Free Member

tbh She’d be better trying a Ladies specific.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘456 frame size – 16" or 18" for a 6' lass?’ is closed to new replies.