Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • 456 evo ti vs Cotic Soul purchase?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Morning all,

Want to replace my on-one summer season with something lighter and more compliant on the rear.

The cost of the above two is not that different at the minute when I’ve specced new headset and seatpost (£200 difference).

I find my 18″ ss perfect stand over and just a tad too stretched as well. Really like the slack headangle though (I run a 140mm revelation which has a 1 1/8th steerer.

Which of the above frames would fit my requirements better? As far as I can tell the ti is about 0.7lbs lighter. But taking that out of the equation what would people recommend and why?

I’m thinking 18″ 456 and 17.5″ Soul

I personally prefer the look of the 456 ti, but not £200 more aesthetically. Opinions from people who have ridden both would be amazing.

munchiepumps
    Free Member

Not ridden the ti version, but have demoed the 456 before I bought my Soul. The soul definately lives up to the hype!!

Plus just look at the number of people on here who say they regret selling their Cotic Souls!!

Had a soul years ago which was good .went back to FS then got pink 456 and did not get on with it at all . Then many years later got a cheap 2nd hand old inbred / 456 and loved it so much so I now have got me a 456 evo 2 . And that’s even better as it sits half inch lower BB and steeper ST with a slacker HA = Fun fun

Mate has got a SS 456 and says its was like a gate of a bike and felt like one ( now has a slackline)

So go for the std 456 evo 2 and save some cash or just go for Ti .
    Ps evo 2 comes in at 5 half pounds all above was 18″ frame .

Hope this helps

andyl
    Free Member

140mm fork will work on the soul but might not be the sweet spot for the frame. The 140mm will be perfect for the 456 though.

If you were feeling stretched on the 18″ 456 then maybe try one with a 50mm stem or opt for the soul as it’s a tad shorter. Of if you have an layback post then ditch it for an inline.

chilled76
    Free Member

Just to clarify my current frame is an inbred summer season, not sure if that makes it different to a 456 ss

BadlyWiredDog

I haven’t ridden a 456 Ti Evo, but I own a Ragley Ti and, as far as I can tell – oddly no-one seems ever to have reviewed the Ti Evo – it’s not dissimilar but the 456 has a slightly lower BB height. I have ridden a Soul and it was a really sweet ride, but not as fundamentally aggressive as the Ti. I suspect the simple answer is that if you like your bikes slack you should go for the Ti Evo, if you want something a little more neutral, the Soul makes sense.

I actually went through the whole deciding between those two frames vicariously a few months back and ended up opting for the Cotic, because I reckoned the riding style of the potential owner wasn’t quite aggressive enough to work properly with the Ti Evo. I’d go ti over a standard steel 456 every time, I did the same switching from a Blue Pig to the Ragley Ti and the weight saving and ride feel was worth every penny of the price differential.

That’s my take on it. I’m slightly biased because I do really like ti frames, but if I were buying steel it’d be the Soul or maybe a Stanton. Nice dilemma btw.

MoreCashThanDash

I have a Soul, mate has a Ti 456.

Sat outside the pub after a night ride last summer he was looking at the bikes propped against the wall and said “Yours (the Soul) looks like a proper bike”

Thread closed. 😀

chiefgrooveguru

140mm fork will work on the soul but might not be the sweet spot for the frame.

There isn’t a ‘sweet spot’ for the frame, only for how you want it to feel. I vastly prefer the Soul at 140 to 120 or 100.

vermillion
    Free Member

Sat outside the pub after a night ride last summer he was looking at the bikes propped against the wall and said “Yours (the Soul) looks like a proper bike”

You sure about that?

MoreCashThanDash

His is a small frame with a kinked top tube – please tell me the top tube is meant to be straight and he bought a damaged one…. 😈

chilled76
    Free Member

If his looks like this, then it is an old Lynskey made ti 456. Different frames completely to the evo ti’s they currently sell.

MoreCashThanDash

Sorry, my mistake.

Having said that, WTF is going on with the angles there? Mine does look like a proper bike!

matther01
    Free Member

I would love a ti frame…but I just can’t ever see me getting ride of my soul.

120mm, 1×10, dropper and just over 24lb…proper comfy too!

Northwind

Haven’t ridden an Evo, but the old 456ti was a weird one… Lovely “feel”, well made, etc but still the old lumpen ok-at-everything 456 geo. So hopefully the Evo moves on a bit from that.

Summer season is the same frame as 456ss !

adsh
    Free Member

My Soul gets ridden more than my Ti best hard tail. It just plain works so well. Do the new 456Tis have better mud clearance than the Lynskey ones?

radrob
    Free Member

I’ve got a 456ti lynskey one and love it. I’d love a soul as well tho for my stable

br
    Free Member

I’ve got a 456ti lynskey one and love it

Me too, and works brill at 140/150mm whereas one of my riding buddies runs a Soul and reckons that it’s right with a 120mm fork.

racefaceec90

am thinking of both frames also (for a future purchase/upgrading my bike).

i was thinking the soul until i looked at on one site and saw the price of their ti evo 456 😯 am heavily leaning to the ti frame (as always wanted a ti bike 😀

chilled76
    Free Member

I’d really like to know which is the more compliant read end of the two, my ss is a bit too harsh at the back and I’m keen to have a frame take the sting out of the ride. My other bikes a Banshee Spitfire which is used for rides like brenin and Jacobs ladder etc so this will get more groomed trail centres and longer scenic peak rides etc.

jonnyrockymountain

i’ll be selling my 16″ 456ti frame (not evo) but 2012 van nic (purchased oct 2012) and ridden for 6 months last year, fantastic bike and only reason for sale is I’am going 650b ti frame
    So anyone who may be interested email me at jonathantraverse@hotmail.co.uk
    Frame only, but also got king headset salsa seatclamp, use sumo ti seatpost and some x-fusion velvet 140mm forks, so could do a deal on the lot????

br
    Free Member

I’d really like to know which is the more compliant read end of the two,

I found that my 456 steel was more compliant at slower speeds whereas the 456Ti is more compliant at higher speeds. But this is the Lynskey version, so no idea if an Evo is still the same.

this_wreckage
    Free Member

OP, it would be really worth your while searching out a demo of the steel 456 evo2. It has, by far, the most compliant rear end of any hard tail I have ever ridden. Way, way more than the previous 456’s…

Euro
    Free Member

my ss is a bit too harsh at the back and I’m keen to have a frame take the sting out of the ride.

As a 456SS owner i sort of understand the ‘too hard back end’ thing but really only notice it when i’m seated on the way up. The rest of the time i’m standing and that firm arse feels great with just the right amount of give for me. I should say that mine’s a 20″ frame and i’m 200lbs so the rear stiffness may be lessened by the slightly longer tubes and my mass. I guess it’s all relative though as i cut my teeth riding much stiffer bikes.

At some point it’ll be replaced and i’ll be faced with a similar dilemma to the OP

bampot
    Free Member

Went through this a few months back. Love my Lynskey ti456, but really noticed the front end flex after being on a c456 for while (c456 sold, ti kept anyway). I was thinking of replacing the ti with a new Evo one, but prefer the geometry of the original for the stuff I ride, and you can’t buy the original geometry anymore – only the Evo :-(. The Souls geometry is almost identical (with a 140mm fork) to the original 456, but has the beefed up tapered headtube. Ride is very comfy on both, steering precision on the Soul is brilliant (but then the evo gets the tapered headtube too…). Loving riding the Soul, and it’s cheaper too!

Sorry, don’t know how the Van Nick ones ride…

chilled76
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for all the useful advice over the last few posts. Steel one isn’t an option as I’m wanting to lose a bit of weight out of it too.

Interesting the number of people saying the Soul might not be best suited to a 140mm fork.

Bampot… could you explain front end flex? Not really sure what that is?

Chilled76
    If you want to try my none ti 456 evo 2 in 18″
    I am in derby if any help ?

chilled76
    Free Member

That’d be awesome. yes please!

I’m fitting a new bushing kit to my Spitfire this week, when it’s done could bod up for a ride and swap for a mile or two?

chilled76
    Free Member

Anyone know the difference between an evo and an evo 2? Presume the Ti evo is the same as the original steel evo in geometry?

Evo / evo 2
    Rear seat stays are totally different than any other frame from 456 stable . Thinner tube and 30.9 post not to sure what else !

Email me number etc .

Northwind

chilled76 – Member

Thanks everyone for all the useful advice over the last few posts. Steel one isn’t an option as I’m wanting to lose a bit of weight out of it too.

I had a bit of a love/hate with the carbon one but it might be worth considering- I stuck a slackener headset in mine which made it something very like a summer season, except about half the weight.

bampot
    Free Member

Never really noticed how flexy the front end was until riding the c456 – bought to fill in while the ti was getting a warranty repair. That’s a seriously stiff front end! After that I got a bit concerned about it. The Lynskey ti has a really tiny headtube (external 1 1/8″). Might be what makes it so comfy… realistically it is not bad, just the newer (read tapered) stuff is much more accurate when steering. The frame is sensational – I got rid of several suspension frames during the 5 years of the ti (Ibis, Santa Cruz etc), because the ti rode better than all of them. The Soul has proved to be more than equal to it, with a stiffer front end (and only a little bit heavier :-)). I’ve given up caring about the weight to a fair degree – okay it’s still around the 24lb mark with big tyres, which ain’t heavy, but it’s no weight weenie 🙂

chilled76
    Free Member

Well I’ve made a decision on this… going for a Soul.

I actually nearly pulled the trigger on a 456ti but the customer service from On-One leaves a lot to be desired. The pictures on the website are of the 16″ and so I emailed asking if they’d send me a picture of an 18″ one so I can see what the angles look like (aesthetics are important for a purchase) and they responded with

“Thank you for your email

We are unable to get a photo of that size bike.

The difference in size would not really show up on a photo. “

What a load of crock, won’t show up on a photo… the top of the seat stay will look completely different!

Dissapointed to say the least!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Full bike or frame? What if the customer service department had none available? They probably work in a totally different location to the stock.

If someone asked me for a picture of the bits I sell I wouldn’t have access 24/7.

Have you asked Cotic the same question?

chilled76
    Free Member

You don’t need access 24/7 to take a photo, just access at some point or contact with someone who does.

I’d also bet if there was someone wanting a photo of a £600 stock item you sold you ould go out of the way to send them a photo of what one looked like to inform their purchase? Or would you say no too?

I don’t need to ask Cotic the same question, there is pictures of their bikes in different sizes all over the internet.

Besides that regardless of where their stock is, it shouldn’t be impossible to get a photo of what an 18″ one looks like. Might take a few internal emails… but that’s what customer service should be. Not a “you won’t see the difference in a photo anyway”. If that’s the regards they have for a potential customer, god knows what they would be like to deal with if/when a warranty issue happens. I’ve dealt with Cotic customer service before (bought a Bfe for the wife in XS) and that was excellent service. Hence it swaying the choice with that response.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

aesthetics are important for a purchase

But not as important as lightness or compliance from your OP.

If you want to know what a bigger size look like, try searching. Or look up there ^

chilled76
    Free Member

All the ones above are either the old Van Nichols or Lynskey ones not the evo ti. If you could show me a picture of an evo ti in 18″ I would appreciate it.

True point about my requirements… but I was on the fence of the two frames anyway.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

But that’s not On Ones fault that other people have posted pictures.

How can you possibly know what a frame size is on google images?

brakes
    Free Member

congratulations! you’ve made the right choice regardless of the photo issue. Souls are immense.

BadlyWiredDog

All the ones above are either the old Van Nichols or Lynskey ones not the evo ti. If you could show me a picture of an evo ti in 18″ I would appreciate it.

I googled 18″ On-One Ti Evo images and it gave me this complete with what I’m guessing are images of the bike in question:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/On-One-Ti-456-EVO-SRAM-X9-Titanium-Mountain-Bike-18-Medium-26-Wheels-/301032860530

Personally I suspect a 140mm fork will work better on the On-One, but as it’s a fair bit slacker, it’s going to ride rather differently. I’d be making a decision based on that rather than the availability of images. Not that the Soul isn’t a lovely frame mind.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘456 evo ti vs Cotic Soul purchase?’ is closed to new replies.