Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 456 carbon frame..anyone ride one?
  • Thinking about getting one…but would like some honest opinions/views from the collective! Durability, ride etc etc!

Tks

jambon
    Free Member

Yes; and it’s the best and most fun bike build I’ve ever ridden.

I have no qualms about the carbon either. It’s very strong.

The angles are perfect (for me).

Previous bike was a Giant Reign and I don’t miss any aspect of it at all as the c456 is so much fun.

The ONLY oddity I can I can flag is that there is very little ‘real’ size difference, as far as I can tell, between the 16″, 18″ and 20″ frames – just look at the reach measurements on the On-One website – I think there’s less that an inch between them all (except the 14″ which is tiny).

Brant would be able to confirm this.

I have a 20″ frame and am a leggy 6′ 1/2″. I think TALL people would find it short and short people would find it very long.

J x

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes I measured mine and the 16″ with 100 mm forks was next to no difference in wheelbase to the 20″ with 140mm that someone else had – this was for a forumite

I think it is tad long in the top tube but I can life with now it has a very short stem

no issues with strength etc.

Great info thanks!

What about the fork, any suggestions on travel, I’m thinking on a 120mm kind of in the middle on an 18″, Im 6′ but am not very leggy, (29in inside leg)!

jambon
    Free Member

I have Wotans on mine – 120-160mm. I love the forks so they go on any frame I’ve had.

I think something that can be lowered for climbs would be good if you are tempted by big forks.

Definitely through axle (20mm or 15mm) as you’ll be going VERY quickly on steep rough stuff like a looney. The angles just beg for it and as the frame is stiff, you’ll want stiff forks.

The frame is, however, very comfy for all of its stiffness.

If you’re buying forks as well are you not tempted to get a full build with Revs?

If you’re 6′ but all in the body you may well need a test ride. A 16″ frame but with a longer stem may be right (???) who knows?

I think I’m 33″ or even 35″ inside leg, 20″ frame with 8 1/2″ of seat-post exposed and an 80mm stem. Seat-post in-line for me but you’d probably need a fair amount of lay-back.

The only way to really gauge it is to measure the REACH of your current bike and get the frame with the best match I suppose. Not so much help as all the frames are pretty much the same!

http://bikegeo.muha.cc/

This may be useful.

J x

Northwind

I liked it. Ran it with light-but-tough kit and 140mm Revelations, and eventually with a head angle reducer thingmy.

Not a perfect bike, but very good- great value, good weight, took some blows that I reckon could easily have dented an alu frame no bother. Found it to be a surprisingly bad climber, considering- with the standard head angle it was pretty damn waggy at times. But not terrible, just that having had a Soul I expected better tbh. (there didn’t seem to be any tradeoff in handling)

SO I popped in the de-steep-en-er and it worked better. Obviously made it pretty long, but contrary to what you might expect, climbed better (I guess just moved some weight forward?). Wee bit less agile though.

All in all… A good, solid, capable bike. It never really blew me over if I’m honest, and that’s what I look for in a bike these days but it was never anything less than good either.

hora
    Free Member

I’d love one but cant afford a new one sadly

Thanks, good to know!

I have an Inbred 18″ which is just right for me with an 80mm stem, would this seem ok for me? I dont think that a 16″ would be, but as you say very little in the sizing!

I’m not big on major rough stuff, more of the all day, trail type stuff but want something stiff enough to chuck about on twisty stuff and can hold its own on the descent, is there any noticeable (sic?) flex?

Certainly food for thought………..hmmmmm! I like it!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have run 100mm 120 and 140 it is fine with them all- climbs a bit better with lower ones mind so use TALAS now.

Cheezpleez

Have had one for a year and a bit and I love it. It replaced a steel 456 and does everything that did but better. I have a 130mm fork on it which I reckon is just about perfect. Rarely bother to wind it down for climbs. Mine’s plain black and the finish seems to be holding up pretty welll, although other people seem to complain that their’s scratch easily.

jambon
    Free Member

If you have an 18″ inbred then go 18″ with the c456 – the 456 geometry was based on the Inbred so swap like for like. The 16″ would give that much more stand-over and you could drop the seat lower on tough stuff (and if would look cooler!).

It is very stiff pedaling and cornering – much stiffer than steel but somehow hops over the bumps very comfortably. Coming from a 6″ full susser it is still a very comfy bike.

If you’re not doing silly stuff then fixed 120-130mm travel should be fine and dandy.

The point, I suppose, is that if you do get more DH oriented, you can put up to 160mm forks on it and not have to get used to/buy a new bike.

Buy one and enjoy it.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

I’m just under 6 feet, I had a medium running 140mm lyrics, flows and pro2’s and hope v2’s. Until I got my solaris its the most fun bike I’ve ridden, it replaced a zesty and I’d have it over the slappy every day of the week. It did everything I needed from trail centres/natural to descents off munros, buy one, you’ll love it.Finish is crap but I had no doubts over its strength.
    One thing I’d point out is its noisy.

avdave2

I have one I run with 100mm forks and a slackset as an xc bike and I’m really pleased with it. All the parts came off a Boardman hardtail and I now have a bike that goes up and along the flat just as well as that did but is better going downhill. I quite like the long top tube on my 16″ but I’ll swap the layback seatpost for an inline one at some point. I also find it more comfortable than the Boardman, I still find myself checking the rear tyre thinking I’ve developed a slow puncture and I reckon it’s as nice as my steel framed bike to ride. The only slight downsides with it are the durability of the paint finish and the cable guides don’t seem the best thought out. For what it is it’s light, strong and cheap which you don’t often get all together.

teamslug
    Free Member

I put one together last week. First HT I’ve had for about 13 years. Was a bit concerned it would be harsh but I’m really really impressed. Got some 150mm forks on and a 65mm stem. I’m 6’1 with a 32″ leg and got a 18″ frame. Got some 2.4 conti tyres tubeless at about 25 psi and a carbon seatpost.Feels good on singletrack and really sharpens up your attention and line choice.I think anything less than a 140mm fork makes the head angle a bit steep.Overall i’m very happy and it will make a great winter bike.

carbon337
    Free Member

5’10” on a 18″ with a 150mm Rev

It flies around Glentress Red and Blue.

Ideal Trail centre bike IMO – I sold a very nice Orange Five Am 160 coils and went with this.

23lbs 1×10 720 bars short stem does everything – Id like to reduce fork down 10 or 20mm or maybe go with a 100mm sid and some narrow bars to try it as an xc race bike.

pedlad

Been riding the second hand one I bought quite a lot recently – it’s got 140 fox rl,s on it and it’s great. Having been on full sus for a few years I’m referencing it aginst my old much missed merlin malt – but it’s nothing like that. Bigger tyres play a part but the feel of the frame is very very smooth and cushined. Encourages you to really go for it over rocky sections and as a result I keep getting punctures having not had one for years. I’m very impressed (although not so much about the punctures so I’ll be fitting a better rear tyre soon).

mrphil
    Free Member

6ft rider, 18 inch frame, 50mm x 25 degree hope stem, 710 bars.

Impressed with it, only upgrade I would do now is a reverb and a bolt through axel.

Pic whore time…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘456 carbon frame..anyone ride one?’ is closed to new replies.