Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 40/42T sprockets
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I presume no one’s doing a cheap stamoed steel one because only the big guys have the machinery to do so?

Do they last well? Anyone using one in a 8 or setup?

njee20
    Free Member

Would be bloody heavy too, far more material than a chainring, and it’s being used sparingly anyway. Why bother? All things being equal it’s only being used 1/10 of the time, an in reality less than that. I reckon I’ve spent about 15 minutes cumulatively in the 42 on my XX1

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cost its cheaper, not all of us have a blank cheque approach to kit.

I don’t think it’d need to be much heavier – sprockets are way natlrrower than chainrings.

bruneep

All depends if you have proper mountains for cycle up I suppose. 😉

I use the extender quite a bit

iffoverload
    Free Member

I made some of these adaptors to use up old parts and drop the front der

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/4042-t-conversion-adaptor

Andy

njee20 – Member

Would be bloody heavy too, far more material than a chainring, and it’s being used sparingly anyway. Why bother? All things being equal it’s only being used 1/10 of the time, an in reality less than that. I reckon I’ve spent about 15 minutes cumulatively in the 42 on my XX1

Plus the wear is spread across 42 teeth. I’m expecting my 40t extender to outlive the cassette easily – wait to see what happens in reality

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nice one iffoverlord, I might be interested, I wondeered about using an old 34/36T to make one .

cynic-al
    Free Member

Plus the wear is spread across 42 teeth. I’m expecting my 40t extender to outlive the cassette easily – wait to see what happens in reality

But…your 36 is going to wear out, and its made of a harder material, only 10% fewer teeth too.

iffoverload
    Free Member

no probs!

I use mine with a 40t xt ring (104g total) and a zee with a sram shifter on a 9 speed 😉

drop me a line if you want to try one and I’ll chuck it the post.

Andy

I find its typically the mid-small sprockets that go first. Not had to bin a 9 speed cassette because the 34t has gone. Have even extended the life of an XTR cassette I bought when had more money than sense, by replacing the smaller sprockets with some from Rosebikes.

Don’t know yet about wear on 36t on a 10 speed cassette.

zacgillbanks
    Free Member

There was a Hope T-Rex review in Singletrack and they said it started to wear pretty soon. Maybe steel or ti! would be the way to go.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I’ve got a steel adapter to bolt 4 bolt rings onto. Currently got a 42t chainring on it but I rarely need it. Was nearly popping off the back of the bike on a climb the other day with a 36t up front. Thinking of trying a 40t on the rear.

igm

iffoverload – interested. Email in profile

iffoverload
    Free Member

YGM igm 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heh I dragged a 34T sprocket and 42T chainring out of the shop bin today 😀 I’ll get the drill and tap out later 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘40/42T sprockets’ is closed to new replies.