Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • £400 hardtails?
  • nach
    Free Member

My girlfriend wants to buy a mountain bike. For the purposes of this, assume second hand isn’t an option and that an upper limit of £400 is absolute. Most bikes around that price seem to just be the same drivetrain and Suntour fork, but she relatively quickly found the Calibre Two Two that comes with RS XC 28s.

The only thing is, that frame has 100mm max fork. I reckon it won’t be long before she’d want 120, especially riding around Calderdale. So, what hardtail would you buy around £400 with a view to upgrading the forks later on?

tjagain

no problem with putting a 120 fork on a bike with 100 max. Does 20mm of travel really make much difference?

slackboy

Go outdoors have the kona fire mountain for £399 at the moment

jaylittle
    Free Member

As tj said can’t imagine that 20mm would make a huge difference (negative). Why would you not consider used?

backmarker
    Free Member

Sorry to be pushy but I have a brand new unridden Halfords voodoo Bizango for 400 in the for sale forum on here, it’s a 16″ still got the tags on!

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Voodoo Bizango is a good bike, best hardtail up to £750 in MBR.

duff
    Free Member

Vitus Nucleus 275 looks good, £300 with BC discount.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

We bought some Diamondback Heist 1.0 for work at just under £400 for a LBS.
    120mm forks, Deore groupset and race face finishing kit.

Cheers, Steve

lungs94
    Free Member

I bought a 13 Incline Alpha for £350, Fantastic bike for the money I’ve taken it down black routes and it did struggle but got through without any problems, but if you’re riding black routes then I guess you don’t have a £400 hardtail, throw some 120mm Pike/Rebas on and you’ve got a smashing hardtail, although the Raidon XO-LR are more than capable.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Saracen Mantras are reduced from £499 to £399 at your local Saracen dealer. 120mm and very upgrade-worthy.

ulysse
    Free Member

Im running a bizango as a go to, ride anything bike at the moment, its bombproof but i would advise sorting the paper thin standard tubes as soon as possible

dskelly81
    Free Member

I was in the market for a 4/500 quid bike for the mrs and was looking at the saracen.
    Ended up spending 599 on a Vitus Sentier L from chain reaction. Amazing spec!!
    2 screw through axles, air sprung fork, deore clutch mech, tubeless ready rims and decent WTB rubber, 12.8kgs weight.
    Bargain

nach
    Free Member

Thanks for all your suggestions, some great options here. The Mantra looks very upgradeable.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

DB Heist is great – great kit, ace shape
    Voodoo Bizango also a good buy
    If you can’t get either of those,look at the Carrera Vendetta – can get it for 280 I think. It’s plus, so the tyres hide the fact that it’s got a cheap fork and plastic tyres (which any bike under 700 quid will have). Fantastic cheap bike ime

nach
    Free Member

I got to compare a Diamondback to a few others this morning, back to back. The DB is actually good! The cheap Suntour air fork on one of the others compared terribly to a Recon.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Have Halfords finally realised that the Voodoo Marasa was a great starter bike? Over the summer, its price has gone £350> 240> 300> 400! 😯

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘£400 hardtails?’ is closed to new replies.