Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • £400 for yearly snow card cover!! Blimey. Any other options, we also ski….
  • moniex
    Free Member

this is a little steep! Got the quote and it is about £400 including not much equipment cover. My husband turning 56 bumped the price up by £100. It’s for a family.

We have previously gone dog tag, but I noticed their 100% proof insurance does not seem to include any freestyle skiing and jumping etc. We also go skiing/boarding and the kids do venture into the fun park sometimes, not sure if this would be covered.

Dog tag policy is about £250.

Anyone in a similar situation?anyone tried dog tags winter sport cover?

Thanks Simone

Lester
    Free Member

im with insure and go, £129 yearly including 19 days skiing, cant remember what skiing level it is though, but includes mountain biking for the rest of the year.
    last time i had a snow card, i damaged my shoulder, showed them my snow card, i still needed a credit card to get me off the mountain, and i had to claim from snow card later , so be aware

trail_rat
    Free Member

read insureandgos defintiion of mountainbiking very careful is my suggestion.

as a result if i go abroad with the mtb its dogtag insurance for me.

if its just the road bikes then the much cheaper insureango comes to the fore.

legend
    Free Member

Insure and Go: “Mountain biking (not including downhill racing and extreme ground conditions)”

Vague cover is vague

andermt
    Free Member

I use Harrison Beaumont (not had to claim)

Their definition is “Mountain Biking (ex. stunts/racing)

welshfarmer

If all you want is bacis “get you off the mountain, fix you up, fly the body home and cover third party damage if needed” than consider membership of one of the European Alpine Clubs. I am with the German Alpine Club but note that the Austrian Alpine club have a UK section where you can read their insurance docs. Cost is about 45 Euros a year and covers all mountain sports in almost all the world.

Doesn’t cover equipment loss or cancellation etc however….

The Austrian Alpine Club (UK)

http://aacuk.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/2014-12-09-AV-WWS-Folder_E_2015_ebook.pdf.pdf

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Mountain Biking (ex. stunts/racing)

No stunts? Now I won’t be able to ride the “bunny hop through a ring of fire”, or “juggling while pulling a sick wheelie” features.

moniex
    Free Member

Some options here, forgot to mention we will leave for a week in morzine Friday, so need dh mtb cover too.

Just seemed the dogtag cover was a bit vague on snow park use etc, listing no freestyle or jumping. On phoning them they seemed unsure and said only small jumps when skiing were covered?! And fun park was ok.

Still not sure….. Sow card ticks all the boxes, but is £150 more than dogtag! Dogtag comes in at about £260 ish….

Simone

JPR
    Free Member

Based on what else Dogtag cover I think when they say ski jumping is excluding they mean on an actual ski jump Eddie the Eagle style, and similarly when they say free-style they mean the sport of freestyle skiing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freestyle_skiing).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As above I’m with the AAC(UK) for the pure search and rescue / Heli evac type stuff that comes with the membership. Then I just go with cheap travel insurance for the other stuff.
    Also check the price of BMC insurance their Alpine & Ski will cover everything you need, don’t know how much it cost tho.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Where do you go skiing? You could always buy cover with your lift pass, e.g. Carre Neige or similar.

legend
    Free Member

JPR – Member

Based on what else Dogtag cover I think when they say ski jumping is excluding they mean on an actual ski jump Eddie the Eagle style, and similarly when they say free-style they mean the sport of freestyle skiing

*shudders at the thought of a horrendous ski-ballet injury*

DogTag specifically mention “ski acrobratics/aerials” elsewhere so it does sound like “Freestyle” is standard park stuff.

e.g. Carre Neige or similar.

iirc that doesn’t cover repatriation, which is probably the single most important thing to have

chum3
    Free Member

It’s not cheap, but Snowcard has some of the clearest guidance I’ve seen re what is and is not covered, especially WRT off piste skiing and ski touring.

What cost for peace of mind on holiday?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

iirc that doesn’t cover repatriation

http://www.carreneige.com/en/the_guarantees_carre_neige_repatriation.php

What cost for peace of mind on holiday?

Agreed. I don’t think the £400 is unreasonable if it covers both MTB and skiing for the year. I used Snowcard for the last couple of ski trips for the reason that they are clear on cover, and we had touring involved.

bruneep

Just over a £1 a day…bargain

Having seen snowcard at work dealing with injuries and repatriation. It’s snowcard every time for me.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

No stunts? Now I won’t be able to ride the “bunny hop through a ring of fire”, or “juggling while pulling a sick wheelie” features.

I think if you pulled those off, the donations from onlookers would cover a ride in Airwolf to a private hospital run by ‘top-heavy-lovelies’

trail_rat
    Free Member

those of you using one type of insurance to get you off the hill and another for your medical bills might want to check and get in writing that your hospital bills are covered once they get you off the hill….

currently going through a hell of an insurance mess with my dad – and thats without trying to be smart with the insurance companies to save a bob or two…… infact he bought premium insurance for extended european cover – albe it vehicle insurance but non the less.

moniex
    Free Member

Looks like perhaps dogtag for our mtb holiday at £130 for the trip and skicover for skiing (£43 for a week or £53 for the year), would seem to be the best to cover both.

Anyone used skicover? They seem clued up about off piste and park stuff, apparently all covered when I spoke to them.

Simone

professor_fate
    Free Member

As above I’m with the AAC(UK) for the pure search and rescue / Heli evac type stuff that comes with the membership. Then I just go with cheap travel insurance for the other stuff.

Does the cheap travel insurance cover you for the risk (High Mtn sports, presumably) that the SAR/Evac allows for… just wondering as i’m with AAC(UK) too and the Medical cover is very limited so topping up with another supplier is interesting, but after thinking about it seemed unlikely.

welshfarmer

Just make sure you have a EHIC card if travelling in Europe and you should be OK for medical costs (although you may have to pay up front and claim back later)

scaredypants

Did you tick the worldwide button on the snowcard quote?
    About doubles the price because of north America, so if you don’t need that, go back and re do

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

May or may not be helpful OP, but when I had a fairly serious injury in France (surgery, week in hospital etc) they couldn’t have been better. Didn’t ask for any details/try to get out of paying, were always extremely helpful and courteous on the phone, put me up I’m hotels etc. Made the whole experience much less stressfull. May be worth considering.

rascal
    Free Member

Just to give your quote some perspective, I went to Morzine last week and had extreme downhill cover with Snowcard – £94 for me for one week. Admittedly it covered me in case I had any problems with the Achilles I tore last summer – that took it from £72 to £94. Bike and tech stuff covered too. It was worth it just knowing if bad shit happened it would all be taken care of. £400 all year is a relative bargain.

moniex
    Free Member

I think I’ll give in, and go snow card. And yes the quote is for Europe, family, husband 56, and all extras taken off like the equipment cover (already covered on home insurance) and max access. Comes in at £397.

Now I better convince the other half.

Simone

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘£400 for yearly snow card cover!! Blimey. Any other options, we also ski….’ is closed to new replies.