Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • 4 x 4 FAIL in the snow.
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Not to reinforce any 4 x 4 stereo types or anything….

Lucky sod really. Would have written his Chelsea Tractor off if it had gone over the edge properly.

maxtorque

More like 22″ wheels with summer tyres fail……….

Don’t look quite so pimp now do we my son 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Rangeys are awesome in the snow if driven properly and with proper wheels and tires on. Will almost certainly leave the rest of the Chelsea tractor mob in their wake!

spchantler
    Free Member

is that the keighley road in hebden?

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Looking at the road I would say they we’re not driving it properly (read to fast), driven properly it takes a lot more snow than that to stop one. 22’s or not. Looks Horseshoe pass like to me.

ampthill

I have passed a Range Rover on a level dual carriage way once. It was skating all over the place in the slush while the Ancient rear wheel drive automatic volvo i was in felt completely planted. Wide tyres just don’t cut it, do they

I’m not sure wrong tyres is ever much of an excuse

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It was the right hand bend below (obviously coming down) The photo makes it look alot less steep than it is. Baildon, near Bradford.

Odly my Seat Altea XL (me coming up the hill) is awsome in the snow, and was getting up and down stuff some 4 x 4’s couldnt. Pirelli P7’s are great in the snow!

iamtheresurrection

I’m liking the guess the road game though. Halfway from Alston to Melmerby for the win… Maybe.

Edit. Obviously not 🙂

Sandwich

Someone learning the difference between traction and grip the hard way.

piemonster

Thread made me smile

phunkmaster
    Free Member

“Looking at the road I would say they we’re not driving it properly (read to fast)”

I used to say things like this all the time – until I wrote off my 4X4 the other day travelling under the speed limit, at a speed that felt safe given the conditions, on a road that looked fine, new tyres, plenty of miles under my belt.

I agree that those low profile tyres seem odd on a 4X4 but you never know. Just saying.

porlus
    Free Member

I used to commute on this road when I worked in Baildon. Thats actually a dodgy bend if you are not careful.
    Driving to work one morning and hit a greasy patch on the road (had weeks of sun, then rain made the road slippy as surface oil hadnt washed off). Car ended up going towards the edge, opposite lock and flipped back a couple of seconds before I went over the side. Proper brown trouser moment.

ampthill

Ok what is the diffrence between traction and grip

v8ninety

Seconded. I’m eager to learn…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stupid Tyre Fail, couple that with over confidence due to driving a 4×4 and the outcome is assured.

slider888
    Free Member

what’s the difference between traction and grip

you end up in traction when you loose grip 😀

br
    Free Member

I’ve an AWD car, it has great traction and will climb pretty much any snowy hill around here, even on nearly-bald tyres – but going down the same snowy hill there is bugger-all grip…

nealglover
    Free Member

what’s the difference between traction and grip

Nothing.

Unless there is another word relating to either of them, eg “cornering” or “acceleration” then they mean the same thing.

I guess it’s just one of those things people say as it sounds good 😉

glupton1976
    Free Member

at a speed that felt safe given the conditions

There is a huge difference between “felt” safe and “is” safe as you’ve probably learned the hard way.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

There is a huge difference between “felt” safe and “is” safe as you’ve probably learned the hard way.

I agree. The other two motorist who crashed whilst they were removing my car probably also felt the road was safe.

My point is that I used to always think there was “some idiot going too fast” (often my words)every time I drove past a crash. Now I know better. I had my wife and three year old son in the car and thought I would never put them in harm’s way. People were driving past taking pictures of my wrecked motor more than likely thinking the same thing I used to think. Stay safe out there folks.

Sandwich

Traction in the way I referred to it implies the ability to get going from a standing start. Grip is the maximum amount of speed the contact patches can tolerate and still be controlled.
    One is a measure of power management the other speed management. A quick look in the dictionary would have helped the doubters.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I guess Drive and Grip are better words to use.
    4wd vehicles often have enough drive, but lack grip without suitable tyres.

P20

Army truck fail…

Skoda 1, Army Truck 0 by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

dantsw13

I often feel my 4×4 is worse stopping than a normal car due to the extra weight. It’s better now it has winter tyres though.

Speshpaul

he was probably using the phone whilst driving a tricky road in poor conditions………. now that would be bad 😉

chorlton
    Free Member

My Discovery turned into a tanker ship for a few scary seconds this afternoon due to braking a bit too hard with summer tyres on. Thankfully I’d kept my distance and after mad panic from the abs (not me 🙂 ) We stopped. Easily done.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if i had a quid for everytime my frontera was laughed at when i bought it id be a rich man …..

but ill tell you what – with all terrain winter rated tires on the back its a wee beasty while remaining refined(compared to the 90) inside at the same time.

ive pulled a few cars out of fields this year and the piece de resistance …..

driving out of the track to my house on the day it was snow and high wind = drifting snow some 3 foot tall….

meet a neighbour in his range rover reversing back along the track , winds his window down and says ” its not passable tel ”

Not being adverse to a bit of digging with my shovel and having tow straps for the rangey to pull me back if needed i carried on
    straight road – deep powder snow , just got the speed up and went drift bashing using the nudge bar to its full potential- rangey following behind- every drift i hit would result in powder flying over the windows and roof + slow the car down a few mph. Great fun. started off at 50mph and by the end of the dirt track- about a mile was strugling to do 20mph with the wheels just spinning but JUST keeping forward motion going.

piemonster

Laughs at trail rats frontera

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Or to put it another way: 4 x 0 = 0.

atlaz
    Free Member

I once drove over the Cascade mountains in the US in a blizzard. Two feet of snow fell in about 90 mins, total white out. I saw two crashes:

1, Honda Civic had spun, gone rear end into a drift, bloke had a shovel and someone helped tow him out.
    2, Big American 4×4 (not sure, maybe a Lincoln or Chevy), woman going too fast, tried to overtake, wheels on the central reservation, rolled it, car destroyed. She was fine luckily but said to another car that stopped that she thought her car was safe for that sort of thing.

I think you can crash any sort of car in the snow if you’re too stupid to understand what the limits are and drive accordingly

bruneep

piemonster – Member
    Laughs at trail rats frontera

You are not alone.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i laugh at it too dont worry.

its a piece of crap but it just impressed me in the snow for being a crap car with an even worse reputation – it was bought as the cheapest thing i could find that wasnt iminantly dying a horrible slow death.

onehundredthidiot

Followed an MX-5 last week in pretty snowy conditions. Definitely broughte h wrong car for eth journey. Big wheels, elastic bands for tyres, 5mph on a straight road and big slide on anything resembling a corner, finished off with a complete 180 while trying to negotaite a mini roundabout at less than 5mph

mikewsmith
    Free Member

FWIW couple of years back when the UK was crippled with some sleet went to denmark to visit a friend, she drove her Z4 like the roads were dry with winter tyres on. Only sideways when she wanted it to 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

friend has a frontera that he’s raised and thrown on some beefy tyres. got it for 65quid and its still going strong after 6 years with no work needing doing to it, passes MOT every time despite him having dented every panel, ripped a door off and used it for towing all the range rovers and landys out from the fields on a very regular basis 😀 its a fantastic car!

tutgareth
    Free Member

It was the right hand bend below (obviously coming down) The photo makes it look alot less steep than it is. Baildon, near Bradford

I used to live in baildon and work in the restaurant(now a house) at the bottom of that corner and that was a regular occurence!
    I pulled a few people’s cars out of there with my old Landrover too 😆

edlong
    Free Member

She was fine luckily but said to another car that stopped that she thought her car was safe for that sort of thing.

Anyone who tries to start a conversation with a car needs to be viewed with suspicion.

piemonster

Wondering how comfy a frontera is to sleep in.

butcher

2, Big American 4×4 (not sure, maybe a Lincoln or Chevy), woman going too fast, tried to overtake, wheels on the central reservation, rolled it, car destroyed. She was fine luckily but said to another car that stopped that she thought her car was safe for that sort of thing.

This does seem to be the prevailing attitude. There’s always idiots out when the snow comes down. That’s a given every year. But the vast majority drive fairly sensible. Unless of course they’re in a 4×4. Where the vast majority, in my experience, drive 6 feet from your bumper. I don’t care what you drive, that’s not a safe stopping distance in the dry, nevermind 3 inches of snow.

You hand someone some clever technology and it seems they no longer feel the need to use their brains.

piemonster

The fact that there isn’t a single Frontera within 200 miles from me on Autotrader, suggests less than ideal durability.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘4 x 4 FAIL in the snow.’ is closed to new replies.