Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 4 weeks to Afan…after tips on essential kit to take
  • megastream
    Free Member

Its my first trip to Afan 1st week in May 8)

I'm after some advice on kit to take with me to make the experience an enjoyable one!

List so far:
    Spare tubes / puncture kit (tubeless so hoping not to need this)
    Chain tool, quick links
    Spare rear mech mount
    Spare spokes
    Bike cleaning bits
    Chain oil
    Spray oil

Wondering if I should take a spare set of tyres, got part-worn Jones Mud-X on at the mo.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ehhhhhhh?

Its a trail center with a 2 shops, each half way round?

Take whatever you would for a day in the hills, then take 90% of it out because you'll be within an hours walk of a bike shop even if you totaly destroy something.

Wally

Brake pads, enjoy yourself and remember your shoes and helmet. Chap behind me spent £70 on cleats and shoes before he had even turned a pedal.

Leave the spokes in the car or at home with a basic bike tool kit rolled up in a cloth bag. All routes are well under 2 hours – more like 1 1/2.

bassspine
    Free Member

don't forget your u-locks.

megastream
    Free Member

2 bike shops…oh dear I thought the only money I'd be spending that weekend would be on food and beer 😆

Are they well stocked shops?

Wally

One at the ponds is very well stocked, for a small place.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

brake pads
    mech hanger
    tube
    bike in good working order

backhander
    Free Member

Skyline glyncorrwyg is ace. FACT.
    All I would add is a waterproof jacket and some money to spend in the drop off cafe. It rains A LOT!
    Only a week until penhydd is gone 🙁
    Edit, had an email from a nice person at the place on top of the wall (afetr graveyard) after I nosily enquired what was going on with the diggers up there. reply;

We are currently in the process of building a track and jumps, they have
    been designed by Phil Saxena and hopefully (weather depending) will be
    opening soon.

Sounds good! Think they might charge for it though.

slowrider
    Free Member

a big lock!! lots of bike theft in the past, especially from the campsite

not a bad trail centre though, enjoy

megastream
    Free Member

didn't think of locks, cheers – I'll have to buy one.

Dancake
    Free Member

If you wear specs take a spare. I was constantly wiping mine because of the rain. By the end of day one the lenses were ****..couldnt see a thing on day 2.

Went through a set of pads too. Mate of mine did a chain and another had a few punctures. Other than that no probs

retro83
    Free Member

Only a week until penhydd is gone

??? 😯

IdleJon

Wally – Member
    Brake pads,

Dancake – Member

Went through a set of pads too

I don't understand this.

I'm local to Afan and the pad wear on my bikes is no worse when I ride there than anywhere else – I still go through a set of pads about every 6 months of riding 2 – 3 times a week.

It does rain a lot though!

allyharp

> Only a week until penhydd is gone
    ???

It's closing as of today(?) for a year. Rebuilding of some sort.

I was there for the first time on Friday so I don't really know anything other than what the sign said!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

a very big stick, sleep with your bike handcuffed to you!!

forge197
    Free Member
    DT78
    Free Member

Locks – there have been thefts from the area

Definitely definitely a chain breaker and spare links. Snapping your chain virtually at the top of whites climb and having to free wheel back down to the shop was not a highlight.

I have done a set of rear pads in a days riding (Pen & whites) but that was atrocious conditions didn't see another biker out.

backhander
    Free Member
    Wally

Why pads? because they weigh naff all, bit like a rear hanger. Often not needed but totally useful when required.

Philden
    Free Member

Wally can you do W2 in 1.5 hours?

Dancake
    Free Member

Wally – Member
    Brake pads,

Dancake – Member

Went through a set of pads too

I don't understand this.

I'm local to Afan and the pad wear on my bikes is no worse when I ride there than anywhere else – I still go through a set of pads about every 6 months of riding 2 – 3 times a week.

It does rain a lot though!

cos im not very gnar, me and spend most of my time with my fist clutched around the brake lever. (the back one anyway )

last time out at cwmcarn; whats that clicking noise? oh its my pad spring winding its way around the disc becasue there is no pad left. 🙂 I dont have this prob locally! None of that sandy stuff for a start

Wally

Nope, I consider W2 to be two trails very well linked and a route I would like to do next time, Much prefer lunch at the Drop off. Nor Skyline… before you ask.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘4 weeks to Afan…after tips on essential kit to take’ is closed to new replies.