Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 182 total)
  • 4 pints of lager,4 pkts of crisps, and fill my water bottle up said the cyclists
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’m staggered by some of the posts on this one!! Well binners and bob’s. Admittedly it’s one side of the argument but surely it’s conceivable you go on a ride with enough provisions for x miles and plan to stop to top up? All of my all day mountain bike or road bike rides rely on a mid ride stop. If the cyclists had brazenly walked in and demanded free water without buying anything and spouting some water provision law then fair enough but according to the article * they had bought a pint and crisps and were looking for water to be on their way. Totally reasonable IMO.

*road.cc does seem to report things in the daily mail shitstirring fashion to be fair.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

fairly sure crisps aren’t sustenance

squoglybob
    Free Member

So passing some one an empty bottle, they pass it you back and say NO,

You ring the Police is that on your scale,

It boils down to my question earlier, who’s fault was it he had no water, the land lord or the rider,
    By virtue of all your self righteous “look after ME I’m number one” posts, if the rider would have gotten into difficulty, dehydrated, over heated, short of breath, shallow breathing bringing on a panic attack or heart attack the fault would lay with a 3rd party and not the person who left the house under equipped for a long ride.

Forget the support car and SKY team bus, or even the team hotel we are talking amateurs here not supported riders, you leave the house in the morning and you put your faith in a strangers faith,

squoglybob
    Free Member

Leggy blonde, I get all that, WHO FILLS YOUR WATER BOTTLES?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

By virtue of all your self righteous “look after ME I’m number one” posts, if the rider would have gotten into difficulty, dehydrated, over heated, short of breath, shallow breathing bringing on a panic attack or heart attack the fault would lay with a 3rd party and not the person who left the house under equipped for a long ride.

You carry a defibrillator too?

I always wondered what went in some of those camelbacks.

And answer the question, what if the camelback runs out of water?

martinhutch

WHO FILLS YOUR WATER BOTTLES?

The sweet baby Jeebus fills mine, with his angelic tears.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Bob,did you read the article? Someone actually filled the bottles (obviously not considering it an unreasonable request) but the manager emptied them and said no, then went on to verbally abuse them. Which is the reason for involving the cops.I’m still staggered you think asking for water is out of line.

squoglybob
    Free Member

I’d fill it up myself, without involving the Police

aracer
    Free Member

I thought I heard a funny noise.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d fill it up myself

where, and what about the defibrillator?

dbcooper
    Free Member

Do not feed the troll. The squogly is an obvious ****. Ignore him all please.

squoglybob
    Free Member

YoKaiser, YES I read the initial post, my first thought was if they bought drinks WHY didn’t they put them in the bottle, my second thought was WHY couldn’t they fill them up themselves?

It’s not unrealistic to think that on a Sunday lunch it’s more important to get hot food out than pander to the whims of some bike riders who have bought some nuts and a Britvic 55, and yes all customers should be treated the same but the bloke at the pub prob thought fill them yourself, and yes it’s the law that a land lord should supply water but either they were thirsty or they went there hell bent on creating a scene.

aracer
    Free Member

How about the linked article? It might help you to read it again, as it provides answers to all your questions.

I’m still trying to work out whether you are trolling, or just plain daft.

squoglybob
    Free Member

So Thisisnotaspoon, forget your camelbak and your defibrillator,

You leave the house to nip off 60 miles,
    You have 750ml of water in 1 bottle, 35 miles in your struggling and have downed the water, what would you do?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You have 750ml of water in 1 bottle, 35 miles in your struggling and have downed the water, what would you do?

Take the 2nd one, you were moaning earlier about unpreparedness?

It’s when you get to 100+ it becomes a challenge. I can usually get to 80 even in summer without a top-up if I stop at a cafe half way for a coke.

These guys on the other hand were on a multi day tour……….

So again, how do you carry enough water for several day? I’ve never found anyone unwilling to serve a pint of tap water.

So Thisisnotaspoon, forget your camelbak and your defibrillator,

That could be dangerous, you sound stressed

squoglybob
    Free Member

They didn’t ask for a pint of tap water did they, they asked for their bottles to be filled,

I’ve never been refused a pint of water either but I’m wholly capable of decanting one into the other, BUT just to drive the point home the idle get had some one else sneak round the kitchen to get some one else to fill them up after already being told NO we aren’t here to fill up your water bottles, despite being from a prestigious cycling club,

Oh right well let’s just ring the Police then.

aracer
    Free Member

This is for squogly, it’s a lifetime achievement award, well done

binners

I suspect I might know the answer to this already, but have any of the ‘it’s my legal right….’ Brigade ever worked behind the bar of a busy pub?

So it’s the weekend… You’re busiest time of the week… maybe the Rugby is on… the kitchens open serving meals…. So your staff are all pretty bloody busy, and it’s all a bit stressful.

Then some Lycra clad cockwomble clip clops up to bar, orders a packet of crisps, then hands you four water bottles ” if you could just take care of those for me my good man….. I’d do it myself, but…. Why should I when its your legal duty to avail me of this service….”

Where would you prioritise his request on the list of things you presently need to do?

squoglybob
    Free Member

Thisisnotaspoon, so your refused beverage and you become a casualty, same question who’s fault is it? Yours for not carrying enough or the landlords for saying NO twice?

aracer
    Free Member

Clearly if you’re on a 7 day tour and not pulling a bowser of water behind you it’s all your own fault.

squoglybob
    Free Member

A racer, how many times have you pulled a bowser behind you,

aracer
    Free Member

Never, and I’ve never taken a defibrillator either – clearly I’m one of those people who needs somebody else to do up my buttons

rkk01
    Free Member

Bizarre series of posts 😯

My read of it was that the police were called because of the verbally abusive (threatening) behaviour towards a female rider…

Regarding “asking” for bottles to be filled, I’d assume that would be plain good manners. I’d be pretty p!ssed off if someone just walked in and started filling up water bottles without the decency to ask first!

And as for rider preparedness, I’ve never done a mtb or road enduro / sportive without bottle filling points. It’s just not feasible to carry your own (and camelbaks are pretty uncomfortable to wear on a stretched road bike type riding position)

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Who’s Squoglybob then? Clearly someone’s pet troll account.

imnotverygood

I’m putting money on GW, but that’s just an inspired guess.

binners

I still can’t cant get my head around anyone expecting someone else to fill your water bottle up for you.

Unless you’re some world class pro rider.

Oh….

fourbanger
    Free Member

Squoglybob is either a troll or we’re witnessing someone in the midst of some kind of breakdown.

I’ll turn the question around, legality aside, would anyone here refuse to give someone water if they asked?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Binners is trying a bit hard too. It’s not GW.

cokie

squoglynobblybob, what’s funny is that I asked you in a polite manor what you would suggest.. your response speaks volumes 😆

aracer
    Free Member

I’m wondering what happens if I want to do a 2 week tour. Would it be reasonable to ask the landlord to fill my bowser up?

imnotverygood

The water table is never that far down in the UK. You should be towing a drilling rig

squoglybob
    Free Member

I don’t get why because some one doesn’t share your utopian views that they have to be a Troll? Can’t people have their own opinions, I’ve never ever had my bottle filled on a sportive, I’ve never ever had my camelbak re filled for me,

Is this the point where I should comply, tow the party line and buy myself a water bottle to do what everyone else does, will that make you think I’m not a Troll. Hell I might start voting Labour so as not to upset the die Hards.

I’m drawing the line at Lycra though as that is just plain wrong,

binners

So you don’t think that asking the staff of a busy pub to fill your water bottles for you, because you can’t be arsed walking to the big and turning a tap on, displays a monsterous sense of entitlement? Seriously?

Maybe they could give your bike a quick clean, then deliver your freshly filled bottles back to you on a velvet cushion so you could be on your way?

squoglybob
    Free Member

Cokie, what did you want me to put, yes go out into the big wide world, it’s full off people just like you who will obey your every wish and do what every your heart desires, if you don’t know what to do in France when you run out of fluid then stay at home, or was I supposed to reply in a manner that made you superior because if that’s what you want I can re post something?

Alternatively, ask a stupid question get a stupid answer, it really is basic, fill them up yourself a

aracer
    Free Member

I agree. I gave another alternative to troll.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Ha ha. The bell ends on this thread are hilarious.

aracer
    Free Member

binners – apparently the staff working in this busy pub had sufficient spare time to spend emptying already filled bottles, so maybe they weren’t as busy as you think.

squoglybob
    Free Member

Aracer, And everything in your life is rose tinted and has everything you want, how idyllic

aracer
    Free Member

So long as my butler remembers to bring me the right glasses it is. He gets a right ticking off if he forgets, let me tell you.

binners

Seeing as all I’ve got to do is sit and have a pint while eating crisps, I don’t think I can be bothered filling my own water bottle. I’ll get someone busy, on minimum wage, to do it for me, then I can admire my thousands of pounds worth of carbon fibre, and contemplate how awesome I am

Stay classy!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘4 pints of lager,4 pkts of crisps, and fill my water bottle up said the cyclists’ is closed to new replies.