Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 4 months since leaving job and still no idea of what direction.
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

It’s been 4 months since I took redundancy from my java job working for an IB in London. After 10 years working in a front office environment I was pleased to be moving on. For some strange reason, I thought that if I had a decent spell of time off I would be able to decide what it was I really wanted to do with my life.

Trouble is, even after 4 months off and having spent 2.5 weeks cycling down the great divide I am still none the wiser. All I know is that the thought of going back to the same type of role working for a large corporate and sitting at the same desk for hours on end fills me with dread.

Anyone else been in a similar position and if so how did things pan out?

keng38
    Free Member

Set up your own company?
    It’s great when it’s going well but twice as much worry when you have a dip and need to pay the mortgage.
    Maybe freelance for a while?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Anyway you can take your skills contracting but at the same time try something small and interesting? The local cycle hire place/café has a job going and I am tempted to try for that as an antidote to supply teaching.

wwaswas

bit of contracting to keep your hand in is what I’d suggest.

you get to do different stuff, can pick when you have breaks etc.

nickjb
    Free Member

Another vote for contracting. Even though it’s the same job the freedom of being able to turn jobs down or knowing that when you work more you get paid more is great. Worth giving it a go unless you’re looking for a complete change of direction.

jekkyl

do you have responsibilities? mortgage/kids ?
    If you have enough savings to live for a bit you could use the opportunity to study for some other area of work that interests you Or you could use your savings to supplement your living costs while you work part time and spend more time cycling!!! wahheyyy.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Ideally, I wanted out of IT programming all together. I have the slight issue that my last role of 7 years was very bau focused and as a result my java dev skills have slipped somewhat.

Maybe a bau java contract role is an idea, but I don’t tend to see them very often.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

2.5 weeks cycling down the great divide

Clearly need more thinking / riding time. If your in the position go for an extended tour somewhere?

bigjim

Same boat here, the thought of going back to corporate drone life is horrendous but I think it’s the only way I can earn over 30k, which for some reason I feel I should be earning, without a few years on much lower if I retrain as somethin more fun. I do need to look a bit more at contracting though.

Sure glad I’m not working this week in this weather anyway!

neilthewheel

Are you sure you are feeling well in your mind? I found inability to decide what I wanted to do with myself, other than knowing “it isn’t this”, or the idea of a particular kind of work filling me with dread, closely connected to anxiety and depression.
    Just sayin’.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Are you sure you are feeling well in your mind? I found inability to decide what I wanted to do with myself, other than knowing “it isn’t this”, or the idea of a particular kind of work filling me with dread, closely connected to anxiety and depression.
    Just sayin’.

Interesting you say that. I too have been wondering whether there is more to my indecision and lack of interest in work related activities. 🙁

jimdubleyou

Any open source projects you like the look of? Could be a way to decide if it’s the IB environment you dislike or the programming…

IHN

I returned from a year out to the same kind of job I’d had before, which I had been a bit dissolutioned with before I left (BA)

Saying that, I came back as a contractor, and the difference is massive. The pay is obviously better (but it’s not all gold helicopters like some would have you believe), but the main thing is the absence of much of the bullshit that comes with a permie job.

brooess
    Free Member

Contracting is a good way to be able to benefit from your experience whilst still earning a living from what you’re experienced in. It def helps dealing with day to day idiocy and politics that you can stand aside and not get involved (and no-one else gets upset if you don’t get involved either).

However if you really don’t like the corporate environment or what you do any longer then it doesn’t really solve the problem, you’re still doing the same thing and in the same environment. It helps you cope but it’s not a real solution…

Also bear in mind, there’s lots of people out there now contracting, but most roles (in marketing at least) are perm – it’s not some dream world where the jobs are easy to find…

I left a perm role in 2011 and have been contracting in a different business since then. That finished a few months ago and I’m trying to find a new contract and they’re really not easy to find – maybe 10 contract roles for every 100 perm? Quite a few are fixed term contracts too, not day rate, so the ££ is no better than perm but you still have the job insecurity.

So worth trying contracting but it’s not a perfect world by any means

bikebouy
    Free Member

I found myself in a similar position back in 2009 (sold a business), it lead to 9mths off. Anywhoo’s I set out a plan (like you’ve done the Divide) but mine was sailing and Americas Cup stuff.

Took me 2months of being away from it all to forget what I’d just been though, another month of exploring Spain before I actually started to free think about working again. Over the next month I started to want to get back into work, I then devised a plan to expedite it…

I too chose a slightly different route, similar environment but different focus. Thing is with me, I like working and being part of something. Sucess came swift and I hit the ground sharpish with a bump when asked to turn a Programme around in 7mths instead of 13… Certainly focused the mind that did.
    Took me realistically a month to get back in the swing of daily life and yes I did miss the lazy days windsurfing and sailing, but soon enough when the salary dropped on the mat it made me smile, I continue to this day.

Hard to tell you what to do, clearly your decision. Maybe try to think of similar scope but different focus (like me) Oh, and more money helps.

neilthewheel

Interesting you say that. I too have been wondering whether there is more to my indecision and lack of interest in work related activities.

Not just this but the fact you were disappointed by your tour. Maybe you were wondering why you weren’t enjoying yourself more?

ourmaninthenorth

Go contracting for the money (if you need it).

Go volunteering for the soul (you clearly need it).

garage-dweller

Following on by slightly on a different track to Neil the wheel, How’s the diet / caffeine / sugar intake?

I have just slashed my caffeine intake by about 85-90% on the advice of a training company that’s helping me gear up for professional exams. Sugar intake down about half too. It’s fair to say I drank wayyyy too much tea, coffee and coke before so it’s had a big impact.

2-3 weeks later its like I have had a brain and mood transplant (for the better), my ability to reason, innovate and stay calm under pressure has improved a lot and without wishing to sound like a tool I wasn’t daft before.

flanagaj
    Free Member

How’s the diet / caffeine / sugar intake?

Full strength filter coffee 3 times / day and too many cookies / biscuits. I never knew that too much caffeine and sugar can affect the mood?

Sitting here now, I think I am slightly depressed. I had put so much emphasis on doing the tour divide over the last few years and now having been and done part of it, I am back home with nothing in the pipeline. I think sitting around at home is most likely worse for me than getting off my arse and getting an IT contract.

Only been back a few days and am already thinking about getting away for a 5 day trip in Wales next week.

AdamW
    Free Member

I’m just about to jump into the same boat. Loads of redundancies at work and I’m about to leave in two weeks. Nothing in the pipeline yet but fancy a bit of time just riding my bike and getting fit.

At some point I’ll have to think about contracting or something, unless anyone in the Nottingham/Derby area needs a good UNIX/Linux man? 😀 😆

toby1

I reckon the first step is talking about it, whether here or with friends. There’s stuff that happens in your mind that you aren’t really clear on, sometimes talking through it can help you realise what the blockage is.

Distraction is a great way of avoiding something you don’t want to address and it sounds like you have been distracted by the Tour Divide, avoiding thinking about what to do next, now with no focus you are able to reflect on what is next and are at a bit of a dead-end.

As others have said it depends what your responsibilities are, do you need to support a family in which case you need to provide at least a certain level of income, otherwise can you volunteer to try some other things out to see if you enjoy them or not, what are tasks you really enjoy, is there a way of making them your work.

I say all this from the desk of an IT job I don’t always enjoy (but actually have a great team around me) I’m often frustrated and annoyed by things here, but most often the ride home fixes that. I’m also paid well enough that it feels rewarding come pay day.

I have an interview in London next week for a job which would be similar but in a bigger company and with better prospects – but as I’m based in Cambridge I’m really not sure it’s what I want.

I’d say many of us on here would be in the same boat as you if we had some time off work.

neilthewheel

Well if there’s no urgency, why not go away again? You’ll soon know if you are depressed if you find your low mood persisting while you are away. The “nothing in the pipeline” feeling is depressing – and trying to visualise your life stretching ahead of you as one of daily drudgery will certainly make it worse! Best not to go there. maybe make a list of the skills you have and the aspects of your work that you do like and think about what might offer most opportunities to emphasise those aspects?
    Maybe do something short-term and different – maybe voluntary if you can afford to mage without an income for a little longer. it might surprise you.

jools182
    Free Member

I’ve felt the same for most of my working life

I just can’t settle, I never feel content with this lifestyle

I’d be buggering off somewhere if I could afford it but don’t earn enough to save

From a purely personal point of view, I’d say if you have a bit of cash saved up, travel a bit more, maybe do some volunteering, or some job that has no pressure, picking fruit or something similar

Sounds like you need some thinking (or maybe non thinking) time

thecaptain
    Free Member

Do you actually need to work financially? Early retirement is great.

Sundayjumper

Interesting to see this thread as that pretty much summed me up a couple of months ago, just a different line of work.

I was made redundant on 1st May, but had already had two months’ gardening leave at that point so I’ve not actually sat at a desk since the end of Feb.

I tried getting some contract work but constantly got knocked back for lack of experience, oddly. I broadened my searches (and lowered my expectations) and started looking at general finance type jobs like I had ~10 years ago. Still no luck there and as bigjim says, £30k seems to be some kind of mental barrier for employers. Below, and they’re expecting keen graduates or people in their twenties. Above, and they seemingly expect 10+ years of very specific experience. I was/had neither.

I was getting quite disheartened. I had no idea what I wanted to do. I actually got >< this close to applying for a bike mechanic job at Halfords. It would be minimum wage but it would have got me out of the house and I could play with bikes. Even if most would be crappy BSOs.

Then suddenly things changed, AFAIK for no reason and with no input from me. A couple of things cropped up. An ex-colleague (whom I got on well with) contacted me out of the blue on Linkedin suggesting a career change to Project Management with his new consultancy. Another separate business opportunity presented itself. While mulling those over I got a call from a job agency one Thursday afternoon to ask if I was interested in a particular role they had. They’d found my CV online somewhere. My CV went to the client, phone call on Monday, interview Tuesday, I was offered the job Wednesday. I start on the 12th. It’s not the same line of work I was in before but has some parallels and the general numeracy / Excel geekery involved sounds like it’s going to be right up my street. Far more than any job I’ve had before. And it’s contract work, so the money is alright too. Things are suddenly looking OK !

I’m not really sure there’s a moral to that story. Maybe something to do with karma or destiny ? Just “qué será será” ? Who knows. My confidence ebbs & flows over time and I’ve had bouts of depression but I’ve always had a nagging suspicion that things will work out for the best, even when the other 99% of my brain is saying it won’t. So I’d stay stick in there. Something will turn up. Quite possibly something you’ve not even thought of yet.

flanagaj
    Free Member

It might sound a bit pie in the sky, but recently I have really found the whole bikepacking, lightweight equipment and travel interesting. I am going to research whether there is any mileage in doing custom bike packing setups for people or open an online store selling all stuff bike packing related.

Someone mentioned on here about getting away again. I am seriously thinking of going to cycle the Tour Aotearoa at the end of Feb 2016.

Given Giant are now producing bike packing bags I get the impression that they are anticipating the whole scene to grow in popularity. A monthly bikepacking magazine is also another idea. Given it covers cycling and camping, you would never struggle for content.

chickenman

As someone who left school with the necessary qualifications to go to university but went and became a joiner I really rate doing a trade as a way of life: You’re up and about doing something different every day; the time fair flies by. The downside as a self employed person is that my income has never hit 30k yet. There are tradesmen who make lots of money but they usually work 60 hours a week. If you are a gas engineer you can pretend that what you do is black magic and can charge accordingly.
    School leavers today look down their noses at trades, get a degree then get jobs at Costa coffee. The next generation of homeowners can’t even fit a plug so there is a captive market for trades people; if you are reliable and reasonably competent the work will just walk in through the door.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘4 months since leaving job and still no idea of what direction.’ is closed to new replies.