Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 4 hours to ride from Linlithgow
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

On Sunday, dropping the kids off and collecting about 5 hours later, so got 4 hours to ride somewhere.
    Any suggestions?
    MTB or cross bike.

scotroutes

Bathgate Alps on the cross bike

chriswilk
    Free Member

not ridden that area before, any pointers?
    was considering canal to falkirk wheel, then out to Carron valley on cross bike

jamiep
    Free Member

Carron Valley is 20 miles away

Highjack:
    Colin – what terrain is Bathgate Alps?

BikePawl
    Free Member

Callander estate trails
    Not the fanciest of trails, doable on a CX bike.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Pop down to Muiravonside Park via River Avon Heritage Trail (trail starts just under railway viaduct at Linlithgow Bridge). You can head along to Callendar Estate trails via either canal or PROW from Maddiston to California (although the PROW runs better west to east since it is gradually downhill – if you’re looping I’d go canal to Falkirk them back to Linlithgow via the PROW).

Have a wee look here, some ideas for Muiravonside Park, old brickworks next to Haining Woods, to-from Falkirk, and there’s some nice little bits of singletrack in Callendar Park too.

http://www.strava.com/activities/82856598

Callendar Estate trails themselves are pretty boring – think motorway through the woods.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Could do a lot on the cross bike taking in Beecraigs country park fire roads, the quiet roads round about(Bathgate Alps) and the paths that run between fields that link to the various villages.

There used to be an official MTB trail and lots of cheeky trails at Beecraigs but i have not been for years so dont know what the current situation is.

Steve_B

zigzag’s route looks a good one if you can navigate it, though the route up from Linlithgow bridge might be pretty muddy.

The Callander trails are good for a blast – not technical but still fun – and be linked in to other tracks and singletrack to East and West.

Beecraigs and Muiravonside both have paths as said above – a lot of chatter on Trailscotland re Beecraigs built tracks.

Or you can drive to Tillicoultry (45mins), do Ben Cleuch – up Silver Glen and back to Tilli (2.5 hours) and back to Linlithgow – 4 hours total 😉

chriswilk
    Free Member

ta all,
    the idea is to do at least 4 hours on the bike as all my riding is 2hrs or less, and I need to build longer distance stamina.

Best option seems to be cross bike towards Callander trails, then loop back round via Beecraigs, etc.

yetidave
    Free Member

Trails in beecraigs, muiravonsde, Avon heritage trail, calendar park, calender estates trails and around falkirk wheel and roughmute fort. Understand there is also stuff down by kineil and the coast by bo`ness. Get a map and link all this together, especially f your on a cross.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Bathgate Alps is ace, but I don’t know how youd squeeze 4 hours out of it without doing numerous loops. Would be great if you could however, would be interesting in knowing what route to take if its possible.

chriswilk
    Free Member

so I went up the canal towards Falkirk, then onto the roads towards Avonbridge, through Slamanan, Cumbernauld, Kilsyth, over to Carron Bridge, Denny, Bonnybridge then back on the canal to Linlithgow.
    A nice but very windy 80k

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘4 hours to ride from Linlithgow’ is closed to new replies.