Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 3countiesmtbm November
  • whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Has anyone done this
    http://darkwhitecycling.co.uk/mountain-bike-events/three-counties-mtb-marathon/

Is it a fun one, considering the longer one, is it all rideable or are their sections that are get off and push unrideable
    http://darkwhitecycling.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/3CountiesMTBM16-ProvisionalMap.jpg

Happy with the distance, climbing and time of year, need something to motivate with that SAD time of year,

And what bike will a short full sus 120mm trail bike work or is the bigger suspension more suitable.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had a look but not an area I’ve ridden in much but whoa thats a lot of road!!

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Yeah just had another look now and that was my first impression, happy to do road to link up good trails, but if it’s not overly entertaining then not sure it’s worth the time, as it’s a good 1.5 hour drive over,
    Used to the hills and trails of hebden bridge, west yorkshire , lady bower /dark peak etc.
    Just wondering if pushing far afield may open up a few new routes for me

sl80
    Free Member

I was quite tempted by this too, it would be good to hear if anyone has experience of it. I can’t see there being any pushing involved, I’d guess the climbs are all on roads.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

At a rough glance it appears to be about 80% road…

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

anyone done this?

jekkyl

not a bad route, done most of it and yes there’s a fair bit of road by the looks of it, mostly just the standard stuff around macc forest and a bit of an extension out to Hollinsclough and Longnor. There’ll be no hike a bike unless you’re a great big softy. Some of it would be a bit boring, that climb up to Teggs Nose carpark on the road is a bit pointless as the descent from there is awful (cobbles) and the climb to the cat n fiddle is always a pain but some cracking descents… Charity lane, bottom oven and Cumberland brook all great fun if you haven’t done them before. Could suggest some better alternatives as could others on here. Go for it, looks cheap enough, why not!

christhetall
    Free Member

Rode some of this a few weeks back (and lost my keys, so please keep an eye out for them !)

As said above Charity lane and Cumberland brook are great fun, and Macc Forest and Teggs nose not bad either. Yep 120 FS is the most you’d need (that’s what I used), but I’d be happy to do it on a HT, especially given the roads.

Not sure how they’ll be after a bit of rain, but I found bottom oven and the start of Cumberland a bit awkward – loose tennis ball sized rocks. Not sure if tyre choice, skill or confidence is the remedy to the problem.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Was considering it, but there’s also a cross race that day and they take priority at this time of year

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Thanks guys for the info, I may book nearer the time

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘3countiesmtbm November’ is closed to new replies.