Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 35mm slides to prints or memory stick/card?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got a few 35mm slides, mainly old-ish family stuff, I asked at a camera shop yesterday about getting them onto prints (or even a card/memory stick) & they reckoned about £1.00 each. There’s probably about 30-50 I’d bother copying. Anyone know of a cheaper alternative than that?, IE, can anyone on here do it for a large amount beer!!

sturmey
    Free Member

This will sound a bit sad but the other night on QVC (wife watches not me) they were selling a Kodak scanner that does exactly what you want. Use it and sell it afterwards possibly. I think is was about £100

druidh
    Free Member

If you’re not fussed about the final quality (in terms of cleining them up for dust etc) then send them to me and I’ll add them to the several thousand I’m already doing for myself. 😆

Your payment for 30-50 would be a donation to a charity of my choosing.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nice one Druidh. I think that’s a really decent thing to do actually. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Nah – I’m gonna publish on here as I scan them 👿

Trimix
    Free Member

Druidh, what equipment are you using ?

Ive got loads that need doing and need to buy a scanner.

schroedingerscat
    Free Member

I looked at scanners for doing this a while back, and they were incredibly slow,and created huge files for not a lot of resolution, unless you were prepared to throw a lot of money at them.

Might have changed now though. It was a year ago I was looking.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m just using an Epson flatbed (says here it’s a V600). TBH, it’s more about just getting them all captured than trying to ensure I have the best possible image. Most of the slides are a good few years old (but then I’ve also got negs/prints to scan too). I never ever get the 35mm projector out to view them, so at least this way they are more accessible. I’ve been meaning to do this for years, but the death or my parents this year has given me an incentive to dig out old photos.

schroedingerscat
    Free Member

Ah, sorry I was talking specifically about 35mm neg and slide scanners.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nah – I’m gonna publish on here as I scan them

😯

Mate of mine used to work at Boots. Yes, they do print ‘extra’ copies of the more ‘interesting’ pics… 😆

fruitbat

Is the following the acme of foolishness?

Set up a projector to show the slide on a screen then photograph the screen image with a tripod mounted digital camera?
    I guess the white balance would need to be adjusted for tungsten light.

I tried one of those cheap scanners (mail order from the Scotsman) and the results were carp.

druidh
    Free Member

fruitbat – you can actually get a “lens” for an SLR camera which does away with some of that faff. The lens is a long tube with an opaque window in the end. You insert the slide near the window and point it at a light source, then take a photo of the image!

fruitbat

druid – yup I also remember these were quite expensive too. My digital is a Canon S5IS non DSLR so I don’t think useful (and economical) accessories exist for it..
    I might give it a go during the holidays if I can find a big enough bit of white wall.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Druid, I’m interested in this SLR lens thingy, any idea what kind of price they are for a Lumix G1? Failing that I’m willing to go with your charity donation.
    Mofta bed now, I’ll check on here tomorrow night & possibly get in touch.
    Cheers for that, Essel.

martinxyz
    Free Member

i bought a slide scanner about 9 year ago but its not churning out anywhere near the quality of the slide.i didnt expect it to do a great job but i suppose it was pretty good for back then. would probably send them off to get someone with a tool costing around £9800 more than what i paid for mine to do the job for a small cost ;O)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘35mm slides to prints or memory stick/card?’ is closed to new replies.