Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 35L water proof rucsack?
  • Shackleton

Can anybody recommend me a cheap 35L ish water proof rucsack?

I currently have a 25L Alpkit gourdon from the first batch they ever made and would love a 35L one but they never seem to do one. I’m happy with everything about it apart from the size.

It is for carrying stuff on the commute and general bashing about town so nothing fancy needed, just waterproof and relatively capacious.

I’m really struggling to find anything that is in a similar price bracket as the gourdon………

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

S

MrPottatoHead

Ortlieb X-Plorer might be worth a look. I’ve no experience of that product but use their normal dry bags for my commute and they’ve been good.

Shackleton

Cheers, both good calls.
    Ta,
    S

paule
    Free Member

http://www.regattaoutlet.co.uk/hydrotech-35-litre-rucksack-1-11.html I’ve got the smaller version of this and it’s pretty good, not quite as good as alpkit but very cheap!

BadlyWiredDog

Just buy a dry bag and stick it inside a pack of your choice. Waterproof packs are rare because taping or bonding seams is expensive and time consuming and creating a weather-tight lid-seal that’s not a dry-bag type roll over is tough too.

Mountain Hardwear does a range of packs proofed using OutDry where the waterproofing is heat/pressure applied to the inside of the pack so it’s completely coated in the wateprroof membrane without individual seams needing to be taped – like this. Sport Pursuit had them half price recently, but I think you may have missed out on that.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Assuming you don’t 35l to all be dry how about the alpglkit gourdon 30 and use the side pockets they hold loads

TheBrick
    Free Member

I by a lomo. Has worked well for me. It is pretty tough. Use it for. Commuting when I need carry a lot, on Plane as carry on.

prototype
    Free Member

Some good value 30litre bags here: https://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Dry-Boxes-dry-bags-uk.html

I have the yellow high-vis one and so far, so good.

paulb2

I’ve seen a couple of commuters recently with a 30L skorch dry bag / rucksack

Skorch Dry Bag backpack 30L

jam-bo

mountain hardwear scramber series are waterproof and a little better put together than a drybag with straps on.

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 to Badlywireddog’s suggestion of separate dry bag. If you need to carry something that’s pointy or likely to puncture the bag then with a waterproof rucksack you are risking the integrity of the whole thing not just a replaceable liner.

mick_r

-1 to the rucksack and drybag suggestion.

People like the drybag rucksacks because they are cheap, simple, light, no zips, pockets and other needless faff. The other big plus is the hose down cleaning and fast drying when covered in filth. Why would I want a heavier harder to clean normal sack, then added weight of a secondary drybag plus twice the fastenings to get at gear?

Like the op, I also have an original Gourdon that has done 7 years of mtb abuse. Still waterproof,and only pensioning off because all the neglect has left it rather stained and ugly.

fooman

For £8 I’ve put one of those 35L Regatta Hydrotech rucksacks on order, thanks for the info.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I used to commute with an OverBoard rucksack, that was pretty much a drybag with straps on. I found it pretty good, but a bit sweaty.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘35L water proof rucsack?’ is closed to new replies.