Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • 35 years old and suddenly the TDF is interesting
  • Dancake
    Free Member

Dont know how it happened but I have found myself watching the Tour de
    France. Have enjoyed Eurosport HD coverage 3 days running and have found myself surprisingly fascinated with the whole thing.

The commentary and responses to simple questions has helped with the understanding and watching the whole 100 or so miles gives a build up similar to that of Test cricket (which I love)

Anyone else?

sssimon
    Free Member

watched for the first time last year on paternity leave, awake at odd times of day really got into it but I have also spent many days watching test cricket (nothing like a test match and a bike to build or dismantle, what a day!)

Stumpi
    Free Member

In a similar position myself although I have to say its a pretty entertaining start this year what with the day one pile up, a horrendous second day, Frank S craching out on those amazing cobble sections (more like mountainbiking) and today Cavvy bagging his very doubted win. Lets hope its not the last one eh.

Roll on the tour!

the_lecht_rocks

transfixed here since 1987…………genius matched with pure toughness………

giro, etc, all good…

igm

wait for those hilly bits at the weekend…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yup super exciting been watching since about 1992 absolutely love it which is why I get passionate about people posting on here without putting "spoiler" as there is nothign crapper than watching an hour highlight stage when you know who the winner is! It just sucks. Wait until the mountains especially after last years excitements!
    My predications:
    Contador to win, Wiggo to not feature anywhere near as last year and finish top 10 (not got the surprise element this year and he'll be marked) Cav won't win green (despite desperately wanting him to as i like him) G (thomaS) to carry on impressing people and storming!

the_lecht_rocks

will geraint finish ?

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought it was boring until probably last year, when I thought I'd give it a chance and follow it. Brilliant 🙂

My heart was in my mouth today after watching 4 hours of riding waiting for the inevitable climax to arrive!

justa
    Free Member

me too – 38 and only just started to get into over the last few years

Mind you going to France on hols for the last few years has helped – went to Mt Ventoux last year and said hello to Mr Tom…

thegerminator
    Free Member

Yep love the tour great with the
    brits going well so far.Will be
    flying the union colours on the
    tourmalet as am lucky enough to
    be off to the pyrenee's next week.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Geraint will finish until illness or injury gets in the way. When he did his first tour 3 years ago at 21 years old he finished and did really well. He is a great all round rider.

clubber
    Free Member

Wiggo didn't have the element of suprise after the first mountain stage and they did gang up on him last year towards the end…

Anyway, like a lot of sports, once you start to understand more about the tactics and things that aren't obvious to the casual observer, it gets better and better. My wife's completely hooked (though admittedly she has been for a while and she is into sports generally).

aviemoron
    Free Member

Yep, if I can find the time I love watching the full coverage, otherwise it's the evening highlights for sure.

pjt201
    Free Member

i've been watching the full coverage all week (off work injured atm). has all been really good so far apart from yesterday, which was a bit boring and more reminiscent of typical week 1 stages.

The big question i have at the moment is why was wiggo wearing a skin suit yesterday? Surely he would need to take on some food at some point other than the feed station, seems a bit wrong for him to rely on his domestiques to carry gels etc for him.

clubber
    Free Member

Why? because it gives a small aero advantage and that's what Sky are all about – every small advantage, hopefully aggregating into a significant one.

Food/water – that's what domestiques are for – it's not wrong and none of them would think so.

FuzzyWuzzy

I usually record the live stages on Europort HD and watch them back in the evening. I couldn't watch a whole flat stage at normal speed though so once I've caught up with events from the commentary at the start of the race I just watch it at 6-30x speed and stop if I see a crash or something :p I still often find I fall asleep though but the final 15km is usually worth watching in it's entirety. Mountain stages are different though and usually pretty engrossing once the attacks start.

rOcKeTdOg

Been watching it since lance's first tour with motorola, my leg was twitching last night for cav at the finish even though some idiot had already spoilt the result for me, got the tormalet day stage booked off 🙂

llama

My armchair predictions ….. its wide open I'm not ruling anyone out until Monday

If Thomas and Wiggo can ride together at the front in the mountains it puts them in a strong position. If.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have followed the tour since the 70s and find it even better now more Brits are in it.I used to love the old channel 4 coverage.I have only been to see it once and that was the prologue in 2001 in Dunkirk .We all cycled from Calais up the coast and the whole tour experience is brilliant.One day I will get to an Alpine stage

clubber
    Free Member

I don't think Thomas is really a GC rider (at least not yet) – just look at his build – he's more of a Cancellara than a Contador.

oldgit
    Free Member

Dancake if you want to catch up, I've got most of them on VHS 😳 going back to the early eighties.
    Great they are with their cheesey 80s soundtracks like Lionel Ritchies 'When the going gets tough'.
    Had to follow it in Cycling Weekly before that when the only colour pictures you got was the front cover.

xc-steve
    Free Member

G's doing amazing, I'm assuming he's had the go ahead to see how he can to in these early stages before having to help out Wiggins, (although majorly frustrated at the lack of coverage he's getting from the press). Would be great if he went for the yellow to wear it at least for one day! If Wiggins was to pull out for some reason would Team Sky promote G or does it not work like that?

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, it might work like that – really whoever's looking on form.

They might just look for stage wins instead though.

jonb
    Free Member

pjt201

Wiggins was resting. He's not contending sprint stages so all he needs to do is stay in the bunch and avoid mishap. Most GC contenders will finish in the bunch and get the same time. If he rests on the sprints then he'll be more prepared come the hills this weekend. Skinsuit may have helped make things easier.

Otherwise, maybe his other kit was just in the wash.

Oh and G is having an amazing ride, I'm hoping he can keep it up in the mountains, looks like a contender for the white at the minute and yellow in a few years.

JoB
    Free Member

"Lionel Ritchies 'When the going gets tough'."

that'll be Billy Ocean 🙂

totally gripped for 25 years, used to time my mountainbike rides to finish as the 1/2hour Tour coverage started in the evening

oldgit
    Free Member

that'll be Billy Ocean

You shoudn't know that.

The 1/2 hour Tour coverage on the new Channel with it's lousy reception.

molgrips
    Free Member

I paid £7.50 for a month's access to the eurosport player. Full coverage with that Irish bloke (Stephen Roche?)'s brilliant accent.

clubber
    Free Member

You mean the bogtrotter? 🙂

Eurosport HD is great – seems to have been added free by Virgin with whatever TV package I'm on.

FuzzyWuzzy

Thomas will be straight out the back when they hit the mountains, Wiggins has other support for that (although he can probably sit back and react to Contador, Armstrong and Schlek attacking each other, rather than needing a team mate to set a high tempo ready for him to attack himself – I don't think he's a strong enough climber for that).

glenp
    Free Member

Thomas is an unknown quantity as a climber, more or less. There again, this time last year, so was Wiggins. Nearly.

There will some fireworks Saturday for sure – Contador will want the time that Vino got on him back straight away, and he won't mind putting some pressure on Evans at the same time. Wiggins can probably make do with shadowing Evans, who will defend steadily as is his style.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I don't believe the G will be out the back on the mountains, i don't think he'll be attacking at the front but I certainly think he can hold his own.He loves the cobbles (hence his success the other day) he has previously won Junior Paris-Roubaix (and his prize was his weight in chocolate … 64k at that time!!!!) plus he's still young so loads of time!

FuzzyWuzzy

Nothing against GT, he's a great rider, especially on the flat (which Paris-Roubaix is) but I'm talking when it hits the big mountains when the group of 20 or less forms (inc. all the in-form GC contenders), he'll be gone by then…

crazy-legs

The National Road Race Champs at Pendle 3 weeks ago had 4000m of climbing in it, more than most Tour stages. OK, so it wasn't one huge up, more constant up/down/up but G won that. He's on form at the moment, possible future Tour winner there…
    Plenty more to come from him yet.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘35 years old and suddenly the TDF is interesting’ is closed to new replies.