Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 3/4 length baggies? – not humvees.
  • somafunk

What is the choices out there for decent 3/4 length baggies with a proper liner for long rides in the saddle?, Sort of like my 3yr old Endura Humvees but not like em’ if that makes sense as whilst my Humvees are fine for lounging about, short rides across town or fettling wi the bike, runs to the pub etc.. I don’t like riding in them in the slightest as the material when wet drags them right down off my arse and never dries out, holds all the bits of gravel and mud and to be honest the click-fast liner is cheap n’ nasty compared to the quality of my Sugoi RS shorts so it’s always ended up in the bin. The styling is a bit RAD for my liking as well.

There’s no local shops, well not within a 120 odd mile one way trip that stock anything other than the basic Endura humvees, which is why that’s what Im stuck with at the moment so it’d have to be an online order from somewhere – I’m not bothered bout the cost as such, as long as they fit well – are practical for year round use on and off the bike but don’t have to be 100% waterproof – preferably have a quality removable liner as equal or better than my Sugoi’s (but not a deal breaker) and wash n’ wear well. Mostly general cross country use, long rides in the hills and blatting about on the roadbike.

Is there anything out there thats kinda different from the usual suspects?, they don’t necessary have to be from this country as i used to have a few pairs of “Under the Weather 3/4’s” from Canada that i thought were ace for riding in, still got em’ infact but they are a 30″ waist and with the best intentions i have to admit that my days of fitting into a 30″ short are 6 years and a couple of inches behind me and will never be seen again.

I’ll probably get ridiculed for suggesting this but does anyone ride off-road with the Rapha 3/4 shorts (grey obviously) and i realise i’d have to buy a quality liner for them but they sound good, water & stain resistant, breathable, schoeller fabric, reinforced seat etc, pockets that work on the bike. I only thought about these as a few years ago i bought a couple of Rapha Fixed Merino long sleeved 1/2 zip jerseys in the sale and they have been the best jersey i’ve ever worn and incredible value for money considering how much i’ve worn them – still going strong years later with no perceivable wear and smart enough for non-bike wear but also fantastic for riding in – pretty much my most worn item of clothing for the past 4 years really.

Suggestions anyone?,

Cheers folks,

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sombreo has done well for me, have some and the missus has loads.
    Some of the Hope Kit has done me well.

In fact It’s a very long while since I got any Sombreo must be good 🙂

somafunk

Ahh, I never considered sombrio – I was put of by the strange colour combinations of this years stuff but their wildcard 3/4 short looks good, nice and understated looking, that’s 2 possibilities so far – cheers mike.

CraigW
    Free Member

Worth a look at Swrve. Kind of similar style to Rapha, but cheaper. They are a slim fit, and available in various water resistant fabrics etc.

neninja
    Free Member

Got a pair of Altura Apex from Merlin the other day for under £40.00.

Not quite full 3/4 but long in the leg – come well below the knee. Decent Progel liner – I was surprised how decent it was.

They seem really well thought out.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/apparel/clothing/clothing-mens/cycling-shorts/altura-apex-baggy-shorts-1.html

somafunk

Oooh!, Swrve stuff looks good!……Large choice of 3/4s and their other kit looks like my kind of riding gear as i dislik garish cycling clothing – good enough to wear to the pub and out n’ about too, and decent prices. I think we may have a result…..Cheers Craig.

gren
    Free Member

Singletracks? I’ve got the trousers and the shorts and the missus loves her 3/4s. Bit more heavy duty than the Humvees. No liners but I use them with my Sugoi RS shorts as well.

timnwild

I got some great Royal baggies (double pop rivet, elastic back, good pockets, comfy, not too gnarly looking) new off ebay for 40 quid – two rides in and they’re better than my endura zymes by far.

binners

Sombrios are the way forward. They’re the comfiest thing I’ve ever ridden in. No comparison with Endura’s at all.

d45yth
    Free Member

Gore Fusion SO Windstopper 3/4’s would fit the bill…great in cooler weather, maybe too warm in summer though?

Trekster

Dead jammy last weekend, managed to get some Alturas at 1/2 price in Keswick mountainbikes. Sometimes it is good to be on the big side 🙄
    Tend to just buy whatever fits during the sales, always need to try stuff on 🙄 and canT be raised posting stuff back mailorder

somafunk

Can’t find the sombrio 3/4 wildcards anywhere but it looks like the swrve stuff will do fine for me, now to decide what variant of 3/4’s to go for….i’ll do a google search for swrve reviews, think i’ll get a few bits n’ bobs of their other kit as well as it looks very decent riding gear.

Cheers folks, would never have found them otherwise.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have Endura MT500 3/4s (waterproof-ish)and wear them with a decent separate liner underneath.

d45yth
    Free Member

Does their tagline ‘Urban Cycling Apparel’ not put you off? Would you not be better off with something designed for mountain biking? The fact that it says those shorts are designed for warm weather, makes me think they’ll be thin and not hard wearing.

d45yth
    Free Member

There’s plenty of places selling the Sombrio Wildcards too…do a search without ‘3/4’ in. That’s the only length they do them in now.

somafunk

Just ordered some Midweight 3/4’s and Winter Softshell 3/4’s – i’ll see what 3/4’s i prefer and send the other back. Also treated myself to a Bamboo T-Shirt and i was going to get the full zip merino sweater but baulked at the price, both my Rapha fixed jerseys cost less than that so common sense won out – phew!.

Right…now to sort out a decent liner….Sugoi for a first look i guess.

MrOvershoot

somafunk – Member

Sort of like my 3yr old Endura Humvees but not like em’ if that makes sense as whilst my Humvees are fine for lounging about, short rides across town or fettling wi the bike, runs to the pub etc.. I don’t like riding in them in the slightest as the material when wet drags them right down off my arse and never dries out, holds all the bits of gravel and mud and to be honest the click-fast liner is cheap

My thoughts exactly, have to use braces to stop them ending round my ankles

somafunk

d45yth : Aww f-f-sake thats typical!, I only google searched for “sombrio wildcard 3/4” not “wildcard” on it’s own….only £55 at chain reaction as well, Hmmm?……. go on then.

For gods sake folks please don’t post any more links now…….I’ve bought enough.

d45yth
    Free Member

Ha ha! 😆

transapp
    Free Member

Endura MT500. Light, comfortable, hard wearing, warm when the vents are clised but plenty of air circulation when open and a waterproof arse. Not too baggy either. Some of the best kit I’ve bought in a long time. I highly reccomend

stratman
    Free Member

Singletracks – I’ve also got the shorts and trousers and find them fine. I wear with altura liners tho.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘3/4 length baggies? – not humvees.’ is closed to new replies.